Anti - virus?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why do the people around think they need anti virus for their phones? When one person saw some kind of anti virus on their android device, he told some one else. Now several people around me are under the impression that they need one and argue the " what if " questions.

How do I help put some sense into them when they ask me questions like this?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There have been exploits with Androids. A person gets a SMS that says, "AT&T wants to say thank you for being such a loyal customer. You can pick up your $50 gift certificate here: link to a malicious site"

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
There have been exploits with Androids. A person gets a SMS that says, "AT&T wants to say thank you for being such a loyal customer. You can pick up your $50 gift certificate here: link to a malicious site"

That can happen on any OS to be fair. The malware problem for Android was with bad Apps. Apps that used exploits to find out personal data etc.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
But those are just apps not really a virus it doesn't install itself.

I don't know, you're probably right. All I know is that there's been exploits. I have no idea if it attaches to anything or stays around. I've never had to look into it.

My Nokia N8 came with F-Secure installed, but I have never used it.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Because when a program installs on android has to ask for permission. Someone I know has a anti virus program on his phone, then it expired and started asking him for money. He says it updated with a t mobile update. I'm guessing its bloatware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720