Microsoft finally sues Google directly for patent infringement

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-sues-google-directly-for-patent-infringement/

For the first time ever Microsoft has dropped the proxy battle and has attacked Google directly.

Today in the Munich Regional Court* Microsoft announced that it would amend its complaint against Motorola, Google?s owner, to add Google Inc., the operator of the server infrastructure that powers the Google Maps Android app, as an additional defendant.

The current case target?s Google Maps, and mainly deals with delivering maps from an online repository, in this case Google?s Maps server, and then Geotagging.

Previous German patent rulings in Apple?s and Microsoft?s favour have already required Motorola to pull all of its Android-based devices from the German market.* The company has a bad track record in Germany, and Fosspatents note that if Motorola had not been purchased by Google they would have purchased a license a long time ago, like Samsung, HTC and a range of other Android OEMs.

If Google loses this case it could affect many more companies than just Motorola.* Microsoft has told the court they are willing to settle if Motorola takes out a license. It seems the ball is now in Google?s court.

Good luck Microsoft. I hope you win this

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yay, more bs patent wars. This all needs to stop. Next time it will be Google suing Microsoft, all the while the only ones missing out is us, the consumer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yay, more bs patent wars. This all needs to stop. Next time it will be Google suing Microsoft, all the while the only ones missing out is us, the consumer.

Google would have to invent something for that to happen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Google would have to invent something for that to happen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

I'm not going to get into the "my OS is better than your OS" pissing contest, because it is pointless. I am not going to take the bait. Every OS has contributed to the current technology, and every one of them has used some kind of technology created by the other two. I really dont care who is loyal to what brand, the fact is that every company has used tech from the others. What I do care about is the fact that by blocking technology from the others, it is hindering progress. Every company has a patent that is essential to everyone else's OS. When the dust settles, we will all pay for these companies greed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Patent law is antiquated. The laws that exist are no longer applicable to the modern world. Until patent laws are modernised, consumers will suffer as a result of the stifling caused by patent trolls.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to get into the "my OS is better than your OS" pissing contest, because it is pointless. I am not going to take the bait. Every OS has contributed to the current technology, and every one of them has used some kind of technology created by the other two. I really dont care who is loyal to what brand, the fact is that every company has used tech from the others. What I do care about is the fact that by blocking technology from the others, it is hindering progress. Every company has a patent that is essential to everyone else's OS. When the dust settles, we will all pay for these companies greed.

so then, because it suits you, the companies that first developed those core elements shouldn't get paid for their time/effort/expense and other companies are free to use what they want without any expense of their own?

Why is it only greed when someone thinks they have a right to get paid for their innovations but it's not greed when someone else thinks they can steal that innovation for their own benefit/profit?

M/S isn't blocking Google/Motorola outright, instead they are specifically asking Motorola to obtain the legal license they should have had all along, in which case the suit will be dismissed. If, however, they DON'T obtain the license to use that technology then why shouldn't M/S block them from profitting from the use of technology they don't legally have the right to use?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Patent law is horribly outdated and such a waste of money and resources, there's no doubt there, and anybody who says otherwise is selling something.

BUT, it is what it is for now, and my support of Microsoft on this point is simple... they're finally going directly after Google instead of just battling them by proxy through OEM's. I think a smart move might actually be to bring Apple in as a co-plaintiff.

If you're going to insist on a patent battle, lay all your cards on the table with one lawsuit rather than lots and lots of them. It's more likely to get a timely resolution and be pushed to settlements rather than court cases.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but directly related to patent laws being messed up or antiquated.

An estimator at a shop I use to work for, put in a bid for a remote audiovisual system at a court house. It would allow a judge to remotely talk to prisoners at the jail, instead of having them transported to the courthouse every time on minor issues.

All the estimator did was toss some components in a 24"x24" cabinet. The components were like a camera, a monitor, a sound system, a video recorder and a router

After he did this, the legal issues started flying, apparently some company had already put those components in a cabinet and patent the system. So instead of paying big $$ to an attorney to fight the issue, the shop simply pulled their bid.

If this other companies system is the only one that could be used for this situation, it prevents competition and allows the other company to monopolize on remote audiovisual systems, which could be used in a variety of situations.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
With apple and Samsung locked into a lawsuit. I was thinking that Microsoft and google were missing out. But I don't have to worry anymore because it's not complete until everyone is at each others throat.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
so then, because it suits you, the companies that first developed those core elements shouldn't get paid for their time/effort/expense and other companies are free to use what they want without any expense of their own?

Why is it only greed when someone thinks they have a right to get paid for their innovations but it's not greed when someone else thinks they can steal that innovation for their own benefit/profit?

M/S isn't blocking Google/Motorola outright, instead they are specifically asking Motorola to obtain the legal license they should have had all along, in which case the suit will be dismissed. If, however, they DON'T obtain the license to use that technology then why shouldn't M/S block them from profitting from the use of technology they don't legally have the right to use?

It's not because it suits me, I don't lose a penny regardless of the outcome. I'm a Linux guy, I believe in innovation, not litigation. My issue is with parents like "a rectangle with rounded corners" or "zero point line" or how about Apple patenting face recognition unlock, when they have no working model and Google has had it on the market almost a year? When a patent is blatantly designed to block any and all competition in an already established market, it should be thrown out.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another reason why I am opposed to these lawsuits is that ultimately they would turn consumer sentiment against Microsoft.

Consumers like Google Maps. If Microsoft sued Google, the consumers would just hate Microsoft more for taking away their Google Maps.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not because it suits me, I don't lose a penny regardless of the outcome. I'm a Linux guy, I believe in innovation, not litigation. My issue is with parents like "a rectangle with rounded corners" or "zero point line" or how about Apple patenting face recognition unlock, when they have no working model and Google has had it on the market almost a year? When a patent is blatantly designed to block any and all competition in an already established market, it should be thrown out.

Patents aren't granted overnight... Apple could have been attempting to get this patent for a while (which in this case, they were). Or they may have bought a company who was trying to.

In regards to face recognition, Apple applied for the patent on June 29th, 2010. This was long before it debuted on Android.

IMHO, if Apple and Microsoft are the bad guys, why isn't Google applying for these patents? The mobile patent system may be screwed up, but Microsoft and Apple seem to have found ways to avoid a majority of these disputes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3