Linux: Ubuntu 12.10 is out

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For the Linux fans, Ubuntu 12.10 has been released:

Home | Ubuntu

I was an Ubuntu user since 2006. I stopped using Ubuntu when they switched to the Unity interface and replaced the app intallation program , I much prefered Gnome. I also hated how these changes always managed to mess something up somewhere with other software I was using. Even if I installed Gnome it still had problems. Now that it has had time to mature though I may have to give it another shot.

Now that I am past my gripes about Ubuntu, It is a great operating system and the amount of software available for it is great. Anyone looking for a free alternative to Windows should consider it. It even allows you to install it from within windows without repartitioning and without replacing the bootloader. This makes it great for new guys stepping into Ubuntu. They can install it and start exploring without the risk of nukning their Windows installation and they don't have to use that dreadful Live CD mode. You install everything from an "app store" so you don't have to search the web and download anything, all updates are automatic as well.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was an Ubuntu user since 2006. I stopped using Ubuntu when they switched to the Unity interface and replaced the app intallation program , I much prefered Gnome. I also hated how these changes always managed to mess something up somewhere with other software I was using. Even if I installed Gnome it still had problems. Now that it has had time to mature though I may have to give it another shot.

Now that I am past my gripes about Ubuntu, It is a great operating system and the amount of software available for it is great. Anyone looking for a free alternative to Windows should consider it. It even allows you to install it from within windows without repartitioning and without replacing the bootloader. This makes it great for new guys stepping into Ubuntu. They can install it and start exploring without the risk of nukning their Windows installation and they don't have to use that dreadful Live CD mode. You install everything from an "app store" so you don't have to search the web and download anything, all updates are automatic as well.

Nice post!

I started out with RedHat 3.0 a long, long time ago. My Windows 3.1 floppies had corrupted and I didn't have the $80 at that time to replace them. I think I had a 486 computer at that time. I found RedHat at the library and started to work with it.

At that time, It was a real pain to get your dial up modem to work with Linux. So I started a web page with script I wrote to get your dial up modem to work with Linux. Once I had that web page up, I was contacted by U.S. Robotics. They told me that they were going to include my scripts with a couple of their modem, which was really cool!

I am running Fedora 17 right now. I am using the rawhide updates (unstable branch) and it's fun to play around with until you get a kernel panic. :D

Out off all the distributions I have used recently, I think Linux Mint Main Page - Linux Mint is the best distribution right now.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
enough unity bashing. Use the latest Ubuntu. Unity is actually good now. I was a Linux user when I had Symbian but with WP I had to come back to XP

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
enough unity bashing. Use the latest Ubuntu. Unity is actually good now. I was a Linux user when I had Symbian but with WP I had to come back to XP

I think I'll give it a try. I wasn't a big Unity fan, which is why I tried Linux Mint, but I'll give Ubuntu 12.10 a try.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My first Linux distro was Red Hat. I got it at half price books for $3.00 and it came with the entire software repository. Ahh the good days. 8 discs and tons of headaches trying to learn Linux without so much as a book. What a pain that was. I was only 14 and my mom was always hogging the computer with internet access. I was still running a 486DX2with 16MB of ram and a 1.2GB HD Trident SVGA but I had a Sound Blaster 16 bit and a 48k Modem. I started with Borland C++ Builder 1.0 and wrote my Own 6 level Episode of Duke Nukem 3D on that thing. I also had a x3 Cart loading CD-Rom drive. I wish those had been more successful, it was a great way to store CD's and never have to remove them from the case.

It's not that I am bashing Unity, It just wasn't for me and way to big of a sudden change. I like Gnome much better. Unity was the first step to moving Ubuntu on to Tablet compatibility. I still hate KDE more.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My first Linux distro was Red Hat. I got it at half price books for $3.00 and it came with the entire software repository. Ahh the good days. 8 discs and tons of headaches trying to learn Linux without so much as a book. What a pain that was. I was only 14 and my mom was always hogging the computer with internet access. I was still running a 486DX2with 16MB of ram and a 1.2GB HD Trident SVGA but I had a Sound Blaster 16 bit and a 48k Modem. I started with Borland C++ Builder 1.0 and wrote my Own 6 level Episode of Duke Nukem 3D on that thing. I also had a x3 Cart loading CD-Rom drive. I wish those had been more successful, it was a great way to store CD's and never have to remove them from the case.

It's not that I am bashing Unity, It just wasn't for me and way to big of a sudden change. I like Gnome much better. Unity was the first step to moving Ubuntu on to Tablet compatibility. I still hate KDE more.

LOL! You're bringing back such great memories. :D 16MB of RAM at that time was boss!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm running openSUSE 12.2 with KDE and Gnome right now. I used Ubuntu until around January 2011. I've also tried Fedora, Slackware and Mint.

Funny thing is I attended a Linux User Group meeting earlier today, and most members were talking about Windows 8. Yes, most people in the group dual boot.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried Arch, but I'll have to check it out. From what I've heard it's good for users who really like to customize their installation, much like Slackware.

You'll do fine with Arch, but Arch isn't for amateurs. Their installation is antiquated. It's all manual the last time I tried it. It was like installing a really old distribution.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I havent used linux in a while. I had to switch to a mac for college and yea... I just have not had the time to fool around with it in a long time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I havent used linux in a while. I had to switch to a mac for college and yea... I just have not had the time to fool around with it in a long time.

Should be easy for you to transition back if you want since OS X is Unix-based, and you could use rEFit to install Linux on your Mac.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes