Linux: Ubuntu 12.10 is out

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL! You're bringing back such great memories. :D 16MB of RAM at that time was boss!

I have even older hardware I played with at one point or another. Apple II (I can still hear that awesome chunk sound of the 5 1/4 drive being closed), The old IBM 386, A casio handheld calculator that was so old it used LED's for the screen and still in mint working condition. I once got ahold of an old TI laptop and the battery pack was just a series of D cells. it was a 386, 80MB HD, 3.5 floppy, 4MB of RAM and had a black and white LCD. I went to radioshack and bought 6 NI-CAD D cells and made my own battery for it. I played alot of APOGEE games on it. It was a great laptop and that was in 2002! I don't know if I can reach any farther back in time then that, especially for being 27.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got it. Its a good throwaway OS for me. I got it installed and the first thing it does is go black screen complaining about a video driver. Warrants a reboot to recover. Typical Ubuntu desktop I expect.
I'll keep it around on my other drive for when I'm bored and feel in the mood to repair stuff. Which is what I spend most time doing when you try to modify Ubuntu. I expect this version won't be any different.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got it. Its a good throwaway OS for me. I got it installed and the first thing it does is go black screen complaining about a video driver. Warrants a reboot to recover. Typical Ubuntu desktop I expect.

I'll keep it around on my other drive for when I'm bored and feel in the mood to repair stuff. Which is what I spend most time doing when you try to modify Ubuntu. I expect this version won't be any different.

What hardware do you have? Ubuntu is usually pretty good in terms of drivers.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What hardware do you have? Ubuntu is usually pretty good in terms of drivers.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Pro 6 gig ram.
This version of Ubuntu should work better than it does and I should not get a black screen but it happened. I like what development I was able to see before the crash but I didn't get to experience much of it. What generally turns me away from it is when these things happen without an apparent reason and I end up on blogs waiting for help....from my Windows 8 box. lol.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Pro 6 gig ram.
This version of Ubuntu should work better than it does and I should not get a black screen but it happened. I like what development I was able to see before the crash but I didn't get to experience much of it. What generally turns me away from it is when these things happen without an apparent reason and I end up on blogs waiting for help....from my Windows 8 box. lol.

What about your video card? did you check for support on that?

anyway, I tried Ubuntu again this week and it lasted all of 30 minutes and I uninstalled it. It just refused to load into Gnome going to a black screen and kept kicking me back to the login. On installation it kept poping out errors. I will try again once I get a new computer since all I have right now is my Macbook Pro (I hate this thing).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What about your video card? did you check for support on that?

anyway, I tried Ubuntu again this week and it lasted all of 30 minutes and I uninstalled it. It just refused to load into Gnome going to a black screen and kept kicking me back to the login. On installation it kept poping out errors. I will try again once I get a new computer since all I have right now is my Macbook Pro (I hate this thing).

My video card is onboard. NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce430. Not too shabby for a board video. But, again, its too much for Linux 12.10. Like I said before, its a throwaway OS. If you have time to tinker and patch MAYBE you'll have something functional. Maybe.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My video card is onboard. NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce430. Not too shabby for a board video. But, again, its too much for Linux 12.10. Like I said before, its a throwaway OS. If you have time to tinker and patch MAYBE you'll have something functional. Maybe.

Ubuntu has been touch and go with Video card drivers, at one point they could no longer install OEM drivers by default and had to install open source drivers, all you had to do was install the drivers from a notifier in the top menu bar. Not sure if they still do that but it stuck around for atleast a couple of years. Iv'e bombed my Ubuntu install atleast adozen times trying to get Nvida drivers to install correctly. Driver management/Compatibility is the one thing about Linux that holds it back so much. Don't get me wrong though, it's come a long long way but it still has a long long way to go and at the rate that new stuff is made they will never catch up.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
They should out all their energy on bringing games to Ubuntu.that is the key and not unity.with games the support will come.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They should out all their energy on bringing games to Ubuntu.that is the key and not unity.with games the support will come.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

They don't have the funding or the resources to do that. Canonical is funded through enterprise/specialty solutions. Support for smart TV's, phones, and tablets along with Servers is the only income they have. That money is turned around and used for Humanitarian efforts and Operating System development.

When I talk about "they" I mean the Linux community in general. A majority of divers are written by community members and there just isnt enough users to cover everything around. The best Canonical can do is develop a better system to facilitate driver management.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know, but GAMES are the key of becoming a big player. Without games Linux will FOREVER stay at 2-3% market share. Giving Crossover away for free and pushing it's development would be a good start. Working together with Velve on Steam would be also great. And finally, working together with AMD and NVIDIA to bring better GPU support! NVIDIA is almost fine, but AMD...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb