Anyone use an SSD as their primary drive?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
+1 for SSDs. Since i got a new work laptop with an SSD, i wonder why i never got one before. Everyone at work is busy upgrading their laptops with them, and getting a whole new lease of life from old hardware.

If you need space, get an SSD for the primary drive, and a monster HDD for everything else.

Best money you'll ever spend on a computer IMO.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been using an SSD as an OS drive since 2008. Usually In some type of RAID configuration.

I have had lots of different drives from lots of different companies. I would personally stay away from OCZ and spend a few extra bucks on an Intel drive if its mission critical. Samsung has been doing well too I have a Samsung 840 pro 512 GB and it's pretty nice. I also currently have an Intel 520 series which is a Sandforce controller. I would only recommend an Intel drive if you want a Sandforce controller as they write custom firmware that has less bugs.

I have had lots of OCZ drives 3 x Vertexs, 2 x Vertex 2's and 2 x Vertex 4's and they are ok but need lots of firmware updates and have had to reinstall Windows more than I wanted too. But the price is nice if you don't mind a few hiccups.

The older I get the less time I have to fix my PC so now I use Intel for better uptime on my desktop PC.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
My main has a Crucial M4 128GB SSD that I use for Windows, programs, etc. and a 1TB WD HDD for storage. I love SSDs, I would have more if they weren't so expensive! I highly recommend an SSD, especially Crucial's. Windows 7 loads in nothing flat, all my programs open in seconds.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of getting an SSD for my desktop before Windows 8 comes out then doing a clean install on it once I get my hands on Windows 8. I just wanted to know if there are others here that are using a SSD as the primary hard drive on their computer?

I have read things like SSDs are not as reliable in the long run as HDDs are, and that SSDs are more prone to failures, data corruption, system crashes etc - is this true? A lot of people say that those were issues of the past and newer models are much more reliable.

I use one in my laptop, and i feel that putting one of those in has increased the amount of time before i need to upgrade by a couple years. Windows 7 now only takes 10-15 seconds to go from cold boot to login screen, whereas it was 25-30 before.

This is with a system that has 8gb ddr3 (I put in all the RAM I can on every machine), and a 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom dual-core processor.

Love it!

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and I will never own a computer without one again.*

*I would be willing to try another hybrid drive, I had a first generation momentus drive that was pretty good, but still had nothing on pure SSD.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's the SSD I got at the beginning of the year: 120GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW | Samsung Memory & Storage the 120GB Samsung 840 Pro. I was very cautious about moving to an SSD and researched it for a long time. I found, like many of you here have sad, that Intel and Samsung were the only viable options as they are proven to be much more reliable in the long-run. I now use my SSD as my main OS-Drive and store everything else (even My Documents etc) on my secondary Hard Drive. I get an 8 second cold-startup and everything has been working perfectly. One thing I would advise is that if you use Photoshop often (like I do) make sure your SSD isn't your scratch disk... I learned that the hard way.

Here's a very handy link to get you started, all about SSD's and how to set them up properly in Windows 8: Windows 8 SSD Settings, Etc. ? TweakHound

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Below are some screenies of the Samsung application of how much data has been written to my SSD and it's current health.

Anybody got any stats to compare with? Particularly interested in some Intel SSD stats :winktongue:

2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss