Is now the time to ditch DVD?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I held off buying a blu-ray player for the eventual "digital revolution" that was bound to come at some point. It might have taken a while but things might finally come together. Windows 8 and the Microsoft Store is the biggest piece to Microsoft's new ecosystem. Now it's even easier to buy a movie on the PC and watch it through my Xbox. Not exactly ground breaking as Apple offers a similar service. However, I think the addition of SmartGlass really elevates what can be done with digital downloads. Within theory, SmartGlass allows me to interact with my movies in ways not possible before. It almost seems silly to buy a DVD when I can buy it through the Microsoft Store, watch it on my PC/tablet/Xbox and interact with it using SmartGlass. I think I might try going digital once I install Windows 8. DVDs are always right there if SmartGlass doesn't live up to the hype. :D

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If somewhere would sell me a decent bitrate, professionally encoded 1080p DRM movie, in something like MPEG4, that was usable on any device, at a decent price, i'd never buy a disk again.

iTunes films are of a sufficiently good quality, its just a pain the DRM means i can't use them on anything other than an iDevice.

I'm glad i no longer need to purchase CDs, as i have a garage full, and i hate having to buy a film, rip it, process it, then put the disk in the garage, never to come out again.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've been digital now for a few years. I have a HTPC and we rent and buy movies through Amazon. The ones we buy stay in our Amazon cloud library.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I still use them when I need to send/receive large amounts of data. A lot of cloud services have file size limits unless your willing to pay a premium. And besides redbox is cheap and you can't resell digital media like you can with a physical medium. If you could resell digital media I would be all for ditching physical media.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I still like discs. I don't see the point in storing everything on a PC or server. I've had the ability for years, but have never ripped a movie to my hard drive in order to watch it on a phone or tablet. I have ripped some anime movies to make AMVs, but that's a whole other story.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I still like having a large collection of physical discs. I don't watch movies on small screens so that is no benefit. My wall of movies makes me happy every time I look at it.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
DVD's movies won't last that much longer. Sooner or later there will be a credit card size device with a chip that will store a movie.

Anyone remember VHS tape? 8 track tapes? Laser disk?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I am slowly moving away from DVDs and CDs myself. Since moving to Oregon a year ago my CDs sit in a box and collect dust. The only CDs I buy are ones not available or have bonus material on the music services like Xbox Music etc. Not a huge movie buff so I will just rent or stream when I in the mood.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I want to buy laser disks just because. Those things were crazy. Imagine if DVD/bluray technology didn't exist. Try having to find a place for your laserdisc burner :D

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I almost LOL'd and woke up my wife, jerk. :p

HAHAHA!

How about a Scratch Doctor laserdisc edition, or a portable laserdisc player. The Tap 20" is big enough to have a laserdisc drive in it :D

The sad part about those things is that even though they were huge you still had to flip them half way through the movie. It was an analog format so no codecs there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99