Home Networking Advice Please.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade my desktop to Win8, get Surface RT, and WP8. Right now I have all of my files on my desktop ~3TB and am looking to get access to all of my files with all of my devices through my network. I am not knowledgeable about networking at all, and had a hard enough time getting a laptop and the desktop to share between each other.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can purchase, or how to set up my home network to all communicate with each other? I have a lot of photos and videos that I would like to view on any device I have in front of me at the time.

Thanks for all assistance.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was going to recommend Network Magic by Cisco, but they stopped selling it. I guess they have added the basics of it into their software. Network Magic would show you everything on your network, it's IP and ask you if you wanted to connect to it. Maybe if you search around, you'll find someone still selling it.

Cisco Software

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone recommend a NAS or any other hardware for network storage? I don't want to keep my desktop on all day long, or run upstairs to turn on the desktop the times that I want to access these files.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I will look more into that then. Just want to make sure the surface RT will work properly with something like this. It seems you need to install 3rd party applications to back up to the NAS which I don't think the RT will do. Correct me I am wrong.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Nice! I will look more into that then. Just want to make sure the surface RT will work properly with something like this. It seems you need to install 3rd party applications to back up to the NAS which I don't think the RT will do. Correct me I am wrong.

Good question. I didn't think about that. Buffalo could tell you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers