2012 Presidential Election, Cast Your Ballot Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No fighting? LoL

I need to witness this!

If there is participation from both sides here without fighting this will be the most amazing event in internet history.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No fighting just a civil discussion of the facts. Hey why isn't my name in the list? ;)

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't see the option I want. I'm not voting for either of those two - but I am voting. I know plenty of people who say, "I am voting for candidate X, not because I like him, but because I don't want to see the other guy win". The lesser of two evils argument.

I could only wish everyone would inform themselves of ALL presidential candidates and make a more informed decision. I was a little upset/disappointed when both Romney & Obama declined their invitations to the debates with all of the candidates :( Maybe if the media started advertising the other parties there could be a chance for actual change - but that's not happening.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't there be the options of...

Obama, and I'm a Republican
Romney, and I'm a Democrat
Obama, but I don't consider Romney evil
Romney, but I don't consider Obama evil
Etc...

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't there be the options of...

Etc...

pick lesser of two evils,

just pick one of the first two.

it's kinda limited to 10 options so... yeah.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't see the option I want. I'm not voting for either of those two - but I am voting. I know plenty of people who say, "I am voting for candidate X, not because I like him, but because I don't want to see the other guy win". The lesser of two evils argument.

I could only wish everyone would inform themselves of ALL presidential candidates and make a more informed decision. I was a little upset/disappointed when both Romney & Obama declined their invitations to the debates with all of the candidates :( Maybe if the media started advertising the other parties there could be a chance for actual change - but that's not happening.

I should have put other as an option.... :confused:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I give this thread another 48 hours before people are choking each other online. :D

There are more registered democrats than republicans, and the majority of Independents tend to vote democrat. So it all comes down to voter suppression(Through politics and Hurricane Sandy) and people going out and voting. The number of Republicans is just increasingly getting smaller and smaller over the years. That's just the nature of Conservatism itself. The more evolved a society becomes, the less conservative it becomes. So what it really comes down to is whether or not the Republicans can get more registered voters out to the polls in Ohio. Because they have 0 chance of taking the independent majority.

People can banter back and forth over individual issues, but that is the broad truth of the matter.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There are more registered democrats than republicans, and the majority of Independents tend to vote democrat. So it all comes down to voter suppression(Through politics and Hurricane Sandy) and people going out and voting. The number of Republicans is just increasingly getting smaller and smaller over the years. That's just the nature of Conservatism itself. The more evolved a society becomes, the less conservative it becomes. So what it really comes down to is whether or not the Republicans can get more registered voters out to the polls in Ohio. Because they have 0 chance of taking the independent majority.

People can banter back and forth over individual issues, but that is the broad truth of the matter.

"Conservative" can have wide meaning, so your statement doesn't necessarily hold true.

Socially, it does change as society changes.

However, fiscally is another story. Fiscal conservatism is gaining popularity.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Where's the third party options? I don't care if they don't have a shot, we'll never get the best candidates until the 2 party system goes away.

Edit: should've read the whole thread before posting my complaint :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I really can't wait until there is a third party that can seriously contend for the Presidency. When the two leading candidates are Mitt Romney and Barack Obama we are in serious trouble. I really don't think either of the two are going to make changes that will lay a foundation for our country to get away from the financial collapse that is rapidly coming our way.

Yes, I think this thread will be locked within 48 hours too. Post while you can!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I minored in Political Science. In my opinion what we need is "Equal Proportion Representation", instead of the winner take all system that we have now.

With the "Winner Take All" system, you are normally limited to two candidates. Most races are normally relatively close, so half the people on the losing side are upset. Then if a 3rd party is tossed into this system, some one wins with a plurality, not a majority. Candidate A gets 30% of the vote, B gets 29% C gets 41%. Candidate C wins, even though a majority 59% of the people don't want him.

With "Equal Proportion Representation" everyone is happy. Plus you're are voting on a platform, rather than an individual. Here is how it works in a very simplified manner:

Party A gets 40% of the vote and 40 seats in Congress
Party B gets 30% of the vote and 30 seats in Congress
Party C gets 20% of the vote and 20 seats in Congress
Party D gets 10% of the vote and 10 seats in Congress

Then after the election Party A and Party C form a coalition with the 60% majority and elect a Prime Minister.

Just my opinion, I am not here to argue it, because I hate political arguments. :D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"Conservative" can have wide meaning, so your statement doesn't necessarily hold true.

Socially, it does change as society changes.

However, fiscally is another story. Fiscal conservatism is gaining popularity.

That is very true. I would categorize myself as a Libertarian.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I minored in Political Science. In my opinion what we need is "Equal Proportion Representation", instead of the winner take all system that we have now.

With the "Winner Take All" system, you are normally limited to two candidates. Most races are normally relatively close, so half the people on the losing side are upset. Then if a 3rd party is tossed into this system, some one wins with a plurality, not a majority. Candidate A gets 30% of the vote, B gets 29% C gets 41%. Candidate C wins, even though a majority 59% of the people don't want him.

With "Equal Proportion Representation" everyone is happy. Plus you're are voting on a platform, rather than an individual. Here is how it works in a very simplified manner:

Party A gets 40% of the vote and 40 seats in Congress
Party B gets 30% of the vote and 30 seats in Congress
Party C gets 20% of the vote and 20 seats in Congress
Party D gets 10% of the vote and 10 seats in Congress

Then after the election Party A and Party C form a coalition with the 60% majority and elect a Prime Minister.

Just my opinion, I am not here to argue it, because I hate political arguments. :D
It would be interesting if the US used parliamentary system of government.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Fiscally conservative
Socially libertarian...as in...leave me the f alone and I will leave you alone.

I voted for Romney. I absolutely can't stand Obama. I doubt Romney will do enough of what I want him to fiscally, but it really can't be anywhere as close to as bad as Obama. Obamacare is terrible. Reid and Pelosi need to never hold public office again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo