2012 Presidential Election, Cast Your Ballot Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Republicans have gone too far to the right. Romney did win the popular vote after all.

But the problem is that Republicans let the left define them. The left has a whole slew of derogatory stereotypes about Republicans, and for the most part they're really good at making people believe them.

Most Republicans are mainly fiscal conservatives. That's the main commonality. However, the left would have you believe that most Republicans are racists or hate the poor or hate gays.

The narrative works. Paint your opponent as a monster.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Republicans have gone too far to the right. Romney did win the popular vote after all.

But the problem is that Republicans let the left define them. The left has a whole slew of derogatory stereotypes about Republicans, and for the most part they're really good at making people believe them.

Most Republicans are mainly fiscal conservatives. That's the main commonality. However, the left would have you believe that most Republicans are racists or hate the poor or hate gays.

I didn't need the democrats to give me that impression of the Republicans. They are pretty adept at coming off as Jesus loving, gay hating, evolution rejecting idiots all by themselves.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I didn't need the democrats to give me that impression of the Republicans. They are pretty adept as coming off as Jesus loving, gay hating, evolution rejecting idiots all by themselves.

This is exactly what I mean.

Sad that in the 2012 we have people that so easily buy into stereotypes, prejudice, and hate.

It's the common narrative though. And people eat it up, all while thinking that they're somehow tolerant and loving. What a joke.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not prejudice if that's what happens. Look at the Texas state platform reforms for the Republicans. They have added that they openly oppose critical thinking skills and any schools teaching things that directly.oppose beliefs. This is the Christian right imposing in opposition to the establishment clause.

Akin and Murdock who oppose abortion in ALL cases because of their Christian beliefs.

Kitzmiller vs Dover was the direct result of Christian Republicans.

Paul Ryan and his love for Ayn Rand who actively opposed helping the weak and poor. This woman actually thought that the mentally retarded and handicapped should be euthanized and Ryan is on record (video) as stating she had a big influence on his life.

I could go on. Yes there are plenty of religious Democrats but you give me one religious literalist Democrat nuttjob and I'll give you ten Republican ones.

I see it all the time.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Obama has popular vote now

and I agree that its not prejudice if that is how that party as a whole stands on those issues. saying that republicans are "Jesus loving, gay hating, evolution rejecting idiots" is yes a bit extreme, but all the same correct. The party as a whole supports everything the bible stands for, does not approve of gay rights, and in general have a very traditional platform.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not prejudice if that's what happens. Look at the Texas state platform reforms for the Republicans. They have added that they openly oppose critical thinking skills and any schools teaching things that directly.oppose beliefs. This is the Christian right imposing in opposition to the establishment clause.

Akin and Murdock who oppose abortion in ALL cases because of their Christian beliefs.

Paul Ryan and his love for Ayn Rand who actively opposed helping the weak and poor. This woman actually thought that the mentally retarded and handicapped should be euthanized and Ryan is on record (video) as stating she had a big influence on his life.

I could go on. Yes there are plenty of religious Democrats but you give me one religious literalist Democrat nuttjob and I'll give you ten Republican ones.

I see it all the time.

You're taking a few instances and using it as justification to use a broad brush on a large group of people. There's a word for that.

It's fine to oppose specific legislation. I oppose some specific right-wing social legislation.

And Paul Ryan saying that Rand influenced him automatically makes him indistinguishable from her in all beliefs? I dont think so. But jumping to that conclusion... well, there's a word for that.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You're taking a few instances and using it as justification to use a broad brush on a large group of people. There's a word for that.

It's fine to oppose specific legislation. I oppose some specific right-wing social legislation.

And Paul Ryan saying that Rand influenced him automatically makes him indistinguishable from her in all beliefs? I dont think so. But jumping to that conclusion... well, there's a word for that.

I watched that whole video, he all but directly said he idolized everything about her, her book, and her beliefs.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Obama has popular vote now

and I agree that its not prejudice if that is how that party as a whole stands on those issues. saying that republicans are "Jesus loving, gay hating, evolution rejecting idiots" is yes a bit extreme, but all the same correct. The party as a whole supports everything the bible stands for, does not approve of gay rights, and in general have a very traditional platform.

I'm being a little callous when I say it that way, but it is unfortunately true.

Though I give off the impression that I don't, I really do make a concerted effort to understand all aspects of both parties and I do try and give the Republicans a fist shake, but over the last 30 years they have regressed to absurdity.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm being a little callous when I say it that way, but it is unfortunately true.

Though I give off the impression that I don't, I really do make a concerted effort to understand all aspects of both parties and I do try and give the Republicans a fist shake, but over the last 30 years they have regressed to absurdity.

Not saying you're a bad person. But like it or not, you've bought into the narrative.

I'm a Republican, and I'm not that different than many. But I hear all these things from the left saying things that I supposedly believe that just aren't true. Then even worse is when people think they know WHY I believe what I believe, and it's normally for some strange and outrageous reason.

I won't try to change your mind. It is what it is. We live in a society where this kind of hate is encouraged and I'm not going to change it on a message board.

I just hope that people take the time to think about what they're doing, and remove all the media influence. Most people really are good people with good intentions. Rich or poor. Right or left.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

I see it all the time.

That isn't true.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Romney didn't win the popular vote. As of 5:00 a.m., Obama had a 58,720,700 (50.1%) to 56,145,950 (48.4%) lead on Mitt Romney for the popular vote.

I think people reject a candidate that is too far left or too far right, and I think the Tea Party is hurting the Republicans.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Romney didn't win the popular vote. As of 5:00 a.m., Obama had a 58,720,700 (50.1%) to 56,145,950 (48.4%) lead on Mitt Romney for the popular vote.

I think people reject a candidate that is too far left or too far right.

Romney really isn't that far right. He's pretty squishy.

I bet that you'll find a lot of people that think he's an evil monster that hates hates hates though.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

exactly, being the first year I can legally vote, I went into this election completely open minded and I spent a lot of time studying both candidates as well as my local questions and was completely undecided until the last week.

I will say though, off the bat I like what Ron Paul was saying more than Romney and Obama (except his pro-life stuff). I'm not a registered republican though so I couldn't do anything about that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just like you can find people who think Obama is an evil monster.

Difference is that vilifying one side is the common narrative and is seen as okay, seen in all kinds if media, and is generally accepted as fact.

The other is seen as over zealous people who aren't thinking fairly.

Both really should be seen the same way.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You can resist progress all you want but I think it's time for the US to catch up to the rest of the first world.

I'd like to point out that most of the red countys are low population rural areas. The "high culture" areas like Miami, New York, California are dems. There is reason to this rhyme... Think about it.

To be honest using Miami, New York and California as an example doesn't make me want to be a democrat. I'm not saying there aren't good things about those areas, but I have no desire to be like those places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans