2012 Presidential Election, Cast Your Ballot Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
To be honest using Miami, New York and California as an example doesn't make me want to be a democrat. I'm not saying there aren't good things about those areas, but I have no desire to be like those places.

It's not a coincidence that the rural county's are red. They typically have the Jesus loving, evolution hating, gun toting types. Now, before you condemn me for saying that, know that I come from a small christian farming town (5k ppl) and have a hard working background. I wear cowboy boots, own guns, hunt, but I'm also a software developer and a nerd. (Weird eh? ). I know why they vote red and it's not because they value education and progress. They vote red because many are Christian literalists and this stems from a bigger education problem. Notice how the population areas of the US such as the ones I mentioned are generally democratic. Notice how those same areas have highly educated women, have high science research facilities and universities, and are furthest away from the bible belt, with exceptions of course.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Rick Santorum himself stated that the intelligent will never be on their side.

His words, not mine.

And you know what, he's just stating what everyone else in the world thinks, only he's stupid enough to actually say it in public.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully not the Mike Wallace interview.

Even if you could argue for/against her crap and whether or not Ryan said what he said or meant what he said, it doesn't change anything else I said. I could pull up with dozens of examples of nuttjobery by the Republicans that makes even the craziest of democrats appear sane.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Even if you could argue for/against her crap and whether or not Ryan said what he said or meant what he said, it doesn't change anything else I said. I could pull up with dozens of examples of nuttjobery by the Republicans that makes even the craziest of democrats appear sane.

I'm sure you could, but to what end?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not a coincidence that the rural county's are red. They typically have the Jesus loving, evolution hating, gun toting types. Now, before you condemn me for saying that, know that I come from a small christian farming town (5k ppl) and have a hard working background. I wear cowboy boots, own guns, hunt, but I'm also a software developer and a nerd. (Weird eh? ). I know why they vote red and it's not because they value education and progress. They vote red because many are Christian literalists and this stems from a bigger education problem. Notice how the population areas of the US such as the ones I mentioned are generally democratic. Notice how those same areas have highly educated women, have high science research facilities and universities, and are furthest away from the bible belt, with exceptions of course.

I think you're letting your background cloud your judgement. Like it allows you to paint with a broad brush because you used to belong to a group where you saw that.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood in Southern California. Big gang problems. A LOT of ignorant and violent people. Should I paint with a broad brush? I could easily say that most people there are pretty racist themselves, and have a lot of other pretty ignorant beliefs.

The thing is, I think we need to realize that whether you're in California or Arkansas, there is ignorance in the general populace.

What you're trying to do is justify perpetuating a stereotype by giving generalities and geography. This technique used to be common to justify prejudice against people of color. Shouldn't we judge people as INDIVIDUALS?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm Canadian btw. It's painfully obvious to the rest of the world that the US has an education problem. Just like Canada gets better as we kick the Catholics out of government (slowly but surely the provinces are removing special privileges for Catholics) the US would get better by getting those damn right wing Christians out of education and policy making.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Whether I paint with a broad brush or not doesn't detract from my earlier points. Christian fundamentalism is not the answer, and as much as Republicans might have some policies correct, the massive anti-progressive god loving crap is a big negative.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you're letting your background cloud your judgement. Like it allows you to paint with a broad brush because you used to belong to a group where you saw that.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood in Southern California. Big gang problems. A LOT of ignorant and violent people. Should I paint with a broad brush? I could easily say that most people there are pretty racist themselves, and have a lot of other pretty ignorant beliefs.

The thing is, I think we need to realize that whether you're in California or Arkansas, there is ignorance in the general populace.

What you're trying to do is justify perpetuating a stereotype by giving generalities and geography. This technique used to be common to justify prejudice against people of color. Shouldn't we judge people as INDIVIDUALS?

I'm so far from racist its not even amusing. You're strawmanning the core points.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Rick Santorum himself stated that the intelligent will never be on their side.

His words, not mine.

And you know what, he's just stating what everyone else in the world thinks, only he's stupid enough to actually say it in public.

Does Santorum represent all Republicans?

He's a strong social conservative that got very little support in the primaries. Yet he's the one you'll use as an excuse to paint us all with a broad brush? Thanks a lot.

Also keep in mind, academia, as an institution, is very left leaning. Those are the people that are never going to be Republican. They definitely aren't going to be social conservatives the way that Santorum is.

However, that's not to say that there aren't "intelligent" people who are religious and social conservatives. There are. I don't disagree with them most of the time, but I don't dismiss their arguments and automatically assume that they are filled with hate.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Whether I paint with a broad brush or not doesn't detract from my earlier points. Christian fundamentalism is not the answer, and as much as Republicans might have some policies correct, the massive anti-progressive god loving crap is a big negative.

The fact that you paint with a broad brush does detract from everything. Well, to me it does.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm so far from racist its not even amusing. You're strawmanning the core points.

I'm not calling you a racist.

Reread my post.

I'm saying that there is ignorance everywhere, and seeing it where we grew up doesn't mean that it isn't in areas where we didn't grow up.

I don't really see why it's so difficult to get you to agree that we shouldn't be making broad judgements, and should just judge people as people. I thought that's what we all wanted. But for some reason, many (not just yourself) have a hard time with it when it comes to politics. They see everyone on the other side as evil villains.

At least when it's the right doing it to the left, it's called out as wrong. But when it's the left doing it to the right, well... that's okay.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm Canadian btw. It's painfully obvious to the rest of the world that the US has an education problem. Just like Canada gets better as we kick the Catholics out of government (slowly but surely the provinces are removing special privileges for Catholics) the US would get better by getting those damn right wing Christians out of education and policy making.
You callin me unejumicated?

But seriously this is why I was all for Ron Paul from the get go! He wanted to get religion out of the government completely! He wanted to drastically cut spending and give people more rights. HE should have been president, he was the right man for the right job at the absolute best time!

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You callin me unejumicated?

But seriously this is why I was all for Ron Paul from the get go! He wanted to get religion out of the government completely! He wanted to drastically cut spending and give people more rights. HE should have been president, he was the right man for the right job at the absolute best time!

The problem with Ron Paul that his ideas are so loaded with common sense and political intelligence, that to people bogged down in the anti-liberal or anti-conservative rhetoric, he looks like a lunatic. Then there are the fringe people that mistake his personal beliefs as his political beliefs.

Plus, there is too much money grabbing and influence peddling going on for someone like him to have a chance.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Ron Paul that his ideas are so loaded with common sense and political intelligence, that to people bogged down in the anti-liberal or anti-conservative rhetoric, he looks like a lunatic. Then there are the fringe people that mistake his personal beliefs as his political beliefs.

Plus, there is too much money grabbing and influence peddling going on for someone like him to have a chance.
exacty. and honest to god I see that changing soon. i think the younger generations are starting to see past the bs and are starting to try and make change. I know a lot of people in the early 20s and late teens who are in favor of Ron Pauls ideas. next election will bring in millions of new voters that see like me and will hopefully shift the election towards a candidate similar to Ron Paul.

I cant say it enough, I feel like he is the perfect candidate for the US right now!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Ron Paul's problem was delivery. He's not the most charismatic person. But damn, that guy is a straight shooter.

Both sides painted him as a lunatic. It also hurt that certain segments that followed him believed in some pretty crazy conspiracies, which hurt him because those are the ones that political opponents focused on.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ron Paul's age hurt too. Not of lot of people would vote for a candidate who is already past the average life expectancy of a typical male in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb