Foxconn building manufacturing plants in US

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
On the good side that would help keep some money in the U.S. but I think they will bail once they realize how much more money it would cost to operate.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Summary: Taiwanese electronics manufacturing giant, which produces various high-tech devices including Apple iPhone and Amazon Kindle, is evaluating Detroit and Los Angeles, among other cities, as potential sites.

I wonder if they'll have dormitories and suicide nets like the factories in China?

Foxconn building manufacturing plants in US | ZDNet

LOL! Nah... it's in California. They have one of, if not, the strictest labor laws in the US, even without a Union party representative.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
American Apparel profitably makes clothing in Los Angeles... much lower margin stuff than high-end electronics. There's no reason that tablets, smartphones and other high-value, high-margin tech products cannot be made in California too.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
****, I used to build cars and trucks for Toyota, up until 2 years ago when I lived in NorCal. That company survived for more than 20yrs, before the recession hit. Now Tesla took over the plant and is ramping up production from 200 cars a week to 400 cars a week next month. If they can build $20K-$40K cars, they can build $600 tablets and phones.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Californians are affluent compared to much of the country, and we're also big about "buying local."

The Nexus Q was selling like crazy for the week it was out, simply because it was built in San Jose. I'd imagine an actual smartphone or tablet "made in California" would be a blockbuster seller (and a big differentiator for its manufacturer).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon