Microsoft & Windows Phone have lost a customer (and fan)

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you want an unlocked phone by a unsubsidized phone. Use your logic why would att sale the phone $250 under the actual price? Buying the phone off contract doesn't mean you are getting the phone unsubsidized. All it means you are not either eligible or choose not to purchase the phone with contract which reduce the price even lower. Att reduces the prices and in return will cover the cost when people purchase their devices. Its highly unlikely someone can unlock an att L920 as this phones are alter to only work with certain network. Its not simply a simcard. Firmware update is also required

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a 920 in the US and use it in the US, while not paying a dime to AT&T.

There are numerous MVNO's that are compatible with the 920.

Only AT&T-based MVNOs like StraightTalk will work without unlocking the device. When I pay any of these MVNOs, they in turn pay AT&T for use of their network. So, it is in fact impossible to use a locked 920 in the US without somehow paying AT&T.

Its highly unlikely someone can unlock an att L920 as this phones are alter to only work with certain network. Its not simply a simcard. Firmware update is also required

This I know is not true. I concede that the $450 is in fact subsidized, but GSM is GSM. It's true that LTE will not work on any other carrier, but HSPA+ will...that's the point of unlocking. I'd have to edit APN info, but that's all.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
And if you purchase an AT&T Xperia, iPhone or BlackBerry, you'll be making the same enraged post on AndroidCentral, TiPB, or Crackberry.com, because AT&T won't unlock those either.

Unless you are fortunate, powerful, influential or violent, AT&T will NOT unlock your phone. That's a basic rule.

I just had AT&T officially unlock my iPhone 5 today. It was purchased 60 days ago, on-contract and locked. It should also be noted that even Apple does not currently sell unlocked iPhone 5's yet, so clearly it can be done.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Only AT&T-based MVNOs like StraightTalk will work without unlocking the device. When I pay any of these MVNOs, they in turn pay AT&T for use of their network. So, it is in fact impossible to use a locked 920 in the US without somehow paying AT&T.

I guess the only solution left is to move to Europe. Even if you get a 920 unlocked in the US, you are ultimately involved with AT&T in some fashion, since you ultimately pay for the use of their towers.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
not to sound harsh BUT ya should have done at least a bit of research before buying an AT&T Lumia 920... beyond plenty of info all over the net about how the Lumia 900 from AT&T wasn't unlockable until the exclusive deal was over.

Rogers Lumia 900's were unlockable sooo I'm willing to bet the 920 is the same.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
not to sound harsh BUT ya should have done at least a bit of research before buying an AT&T Lumia 920... beyond plenty of info all over the net about how the Lumia 900 from AT&T wasn't unlockable until the exclusive deal was over.

I knew going into it that the 920 was technically not unlockable. I had bought the iPhone 5 on AT&T (because no unlocked models were available) two months ago (my first time on AT&T and first time in a while being on contract) and I thought since I'm on AT&T anyway, I'll get the 920 off-contract and just swap SIMs whenever I want. Turns out I can't stand AT&T, their customer service, speeds, and prices are absolutely horrible and I decided I had to leave. My iPhone would be unlockable today (60 days after I started on AT&T) and I have a Nexus 4, so I could easily use any MVNO or T-Mobile...the only issue is/was the 920.

That's when I set out to try to get AT&T to unlock it...thus the saga described in my first post. Even ignoring the fact that the 920 is an AT&T exclusive, it's frustrating that there isn't a single WP8 device available in the US unlocked and neither Microsoft nor any manufacturers will sell them to you that way (not even the non-exclusives). THIS is what pisses me off about carrier influence!

I will say though, this morning, just as I was about to leave to return my 920 to the Microsoft Store...I thought long and hard and I decided I just couldn't get rid of it. I've cancelled my AT&T service though...so I guess I'll be using it as a WiFi only device, at least until unlock codes become available.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am FURIOUS. Sprint will NOT unlock my HTC Arrive, Verizon won't let me use it on their network, prepaid AND IT IS ALL MICROSOFT'S FAULT!!!! RAWWWWWR!

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 coming soon but no T-Mobile bands just yet | Windows Phone Central

Ok, in response to this good news, I've pre-ordered the unlocked Rogers 920 through Negri (unknown shipping date though-_-). Unfortunately, I'll have to sacrifice having cyan for black, but I'll manage. As an early adopter though, I'm still disappointed that there is such a delay between official release and release of unlocked devices...and I'm 99% sure that can be blamed on the carriers.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Why do they make it so hard in the states?

I picked up my HTC 8X on the day it was released here in the UK and I bought it unlocked. Paid cash up front. Put my sim card in and that was it. Job done.

I don't understand why they make it so difficult for you guys over there. That would be pretty frustrating. I understand that the device might be an exclusive for certain networks but damn, it still sucks.

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I picked up my HTC 8X on the day it was released here in the UK and I bought it unlocked. Paid cash up front. Put my sim card in and that was it. Job done.

I don't understand why they make it so difficult for you guys over there. That would be pretty frustrating. I understand that the device might be an exclusive for certain networks but damn, it still sucks.

it was the same for me here in Australia, bought it outright from Telstra and put my Vodafone sim in, no unlocking or anything, it just worked.

Btw, here It would be illegal to sell a phone outright and not unlock it. If it couldn't be unlocked you would be entitled to a full refund

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

There aren't a lot of reasons to have an unlocked phone in the United States, as there really is nothing to be gained with having an unlocked phone, unless one is a world traveler. People here are generally on a 2-year contract with a particular carrier, and are not free to leave, without first paying for the the privilege of doing so. Plus, we have 2 different wireless standards, and it isn't as easy to move from one carrier to the other.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
There aren't a lot of reasons to have an unlocked phone in the United States, as there really is nothing to be gained with having an unlocked phone, unless one is a world traveler. People here are generally on a 2-year contract with a particular carrier, and are not free to leave, without first paying for the the privilege of doing so. Plus, we have 2 different wireless standards, and it isn't as easy to move from one carrier to the other.

That's everyone's mindset, but it's not true. And it's that mindset that keeps us from moving forward. If you have an unlocked (preferably pentaband) phone, you have a lot of options. Sure, in terms of major carriers, you're looking at either AT&T or T-Mobile, but there's a plethora of viable MVNOs that offer great deals. And in terms of "paying for the privilege" to leave a carrier, that is only true if you've signed a contract...I can leave whenever I want without paying a dime.

If we as consumers had demanded (and expected) such freedom of movement between carriers, maybe we'd see more reasonable price competition and we might not have ended up in the LTE frequency mess we're in now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte