Linux Mint 14 'Nadia'

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm posting this off my laptop running Mint 13, time to upgrade :D I really love mint, it makes this $25 T61 I got run quite nicely.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just didn't care for Mint when I tried it last year.

I'm waiting for Fedora 18. I'll try it when it's out. Currently I'm using Windows 8 and openSUSE 12.2.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I just didn't care for Mint when I tried it last year.

I'm waiting for Fedora 18. I'll try it when it's out. Currently I'm using Windows 8 and openSUSE 12.2.

Fedora 18 is suppose to be out January 8th. I was getting the rawhide updates on Fedora 17. They're fun to play with but they are really unstable

I still don't like Gnome 3. KDE is alright on the right on the right platform. I like KDE on SuSE, I know you're running Gnome 3 on yout SuSE.

Ubuntu needs to do more work on their install software. When I went to install Mint 14, I had two options, replace Windows 8 or something else. It should have asked if I wanted to replace my current Linux system, but it didn't, so I had to select something else and manually partition my hard drive. After I partitioned my hard drive, I started the installation and walked away for just a couple of minutes and came back to a gray screen. I thought I screwed up the paritition, but I moved my mouse and the GUI came up. That was scary, i thought I would have to start from scratch. :grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Fedora 18 is suppose to be out January 8th. I was getting the rawhide updates on Fedora 17. They're fun to play with but they are really unstable

I still don't like Gnome 3. KDE is alright on the right on the right platform. I like KDE on SuSE, I know you're running Gnome 3 on yout SuSE.

Ubuntu needs to do more work on their install software. When I went to install Mint 14, I had two options, replace Windows 8 or something else. It should have asked if I wanted to replace my current Linux system, but it didn't, so I had to select something else and manually partition my hard drive. After I partitioned my hard drive, I started the installation and walked away for just a couple of minutes and came back to a gray screen. I thought I screwed up the paritition, but I moved my mouse and the GUI came up. That was scary, i thought I would have to start from scratch. :grin:
I've never played with rawhide on Fedora or tumbleweed on SUSE.

I actually have both Gnome 3 and KDE on SUSE, but I like KDE better. Once in awhile I'll even run XFCE, since I have that too.

You're right about Ubuntu and install software. It would be a real PITA if the install formatted everything, requiring reinstallation of Windows too.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never played with rawhide on Fedora or tumbleweed on SUSE.

I actually have both Gnome 3 and KDE on SUSE, but I like KDE better. Once in awhile I'll even run XFCE, since I have that too.

You're right about Ubuntu and install software. It would be a real PITA if the install formatted everything, requiring reinstallation of Windows too.

Rawhide is really unstable. If you have a lot of spare time and like editing script, it's fun to play with. You do an update and then your sound goes out and you see it's trying to pull sound off your GPU HDMI output. Then you get a video driver update that works real good, but then you get a X.org update, reboot and your resolution is 640x480. :excited:

I don't know how long you've been using SuSE, but before Novell bought SuSE it was pretty exclusively a KDE GUI.

The developers of XFCE have done a nice job, but they always seem to be a step behind. It's like you install the latest version and can't figure out how to shutdown, so you google it and they haven't figured it out yet either and the workaround is you to bring up the terminal window and type sudo shutdown -h now :grin:

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Rawhide is really unstable. If you have a lot of spare time and like editing script, it's fun to play with. You do an update and then your sound goes out and you see it's trying to pull sound off your GPU HDMI output. Then you get a video driver update that works real good, but then you get a X.org update, reboot and your resolution is 640x480. :excited:
I'll have to check it out sometime. It sounds like it might be fun.

I'll probably wait till Fedora 18 to try it.

I don't know how long you've been using SuSE, but before Novell bought SuSE it was pretty exclusively a KDE GUI.
That's true. I first tried SUSE right around the time Novell bought it. I didn't try the Gnome or XFCE desktops until 11.3.

The developers of XFCE have done a nice job, but they always seem to be a step behind. It's like you install the latest version and can't figure out how to shutdown, so you google it and they haven't figured it out yet either and the workaround is you to bring up the terminal window and type sudo shutdown -h now :grin:
You're right about that. :grin:

That's probably the reason I do not use XFCE very often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs