What type/genre of music do you listen to?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good music never goes out of style. My 19 year-old daughter looooooves Donna Summer and Earth, Wind & Fire. Chip off the old block.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Good music never goes out of style. My 19 year-old daughter looooooves Donna Summer and Earth, Wind & Fire. Chip off the old block.

Donna Summer... the original "I feel love" is still unsurpassed. Many have tried making a better version/cover, and failed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Donna Summer... the original "I feel love" is still unsurpassed. Many have tried making a better version/cover, and failed.

Not a cover but back in the day there was a club mix that blended I Feel Love with Giorgio Moroder's The Chase and it was insane.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sometimes you like what you like, regardless of age. I can relate to her. My all-time favorite artist is not only old enough to be my father, he also started making music before I was even thought of. To me, he's the best, and I have loved his music for like 15 years now. I gain some, lose some favorites but Steven Curtis Chapman is always no. 1 for me.

Edit: Since this thread has been brought back to life, I only listen to Contemporary Christian music (more of Christian Pop/Rock). Worship music is cool, but it's not my main thing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I only listen to Contemporary Christian music (more of Christian Pop/Rock). Worship music is cool, but it's not my main thing.
That's a genre that I've never paid much attention to and I know many people who're into it. I've listened to some Chris Rice and Amy Grant made a minor splash a few years ago when she crossed over. Maybe I'm just too morally bankrupt to give it a try. JK.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Lamb is my favourite Genesis album. My second favourite Genesis album is Foxtrot, since I love Supper's Ready.

Kraftwerk is excellent and underrated.

Mmm. Probably SEBTP would be first since it was my first Genesis album. Second would probably be Trespass (live The Knife) but you can’t go wrong with any of them.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

My oldest daughter, now 31, turned me on to a band called Tea Party from Toronto when she was in high school. I’ve seen them live probably 10 times now. Funny how music spans generations both ways.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I listen to most genres. From electronic to rock, rap and pop. I keep my own music collection because streaming services can't match it (e.g. no Peter Gabriel for a start). I'm quite happy listening to the likes of The Prodigy, Eminem, The Chemical Brothers and Placebo (to name just a few) alongside Genesis (my favourite band), Michael Jackson, Meatloaf, Led Zepellin, Marillion and much more.
Peter Gabriel...nice

I like a lot of 80s/90s music still too (Peter Gabriel). Pop and what not.

My main genre of taste since a teen to now is EDM. Subgenres of that include Progressive\Future Bass\Downtempo\Electronica\Trance.

I'll honestly listen to anything, but only music that catches my ear I'll want hear more than once.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Peter Gabriel...nice

I like a lot of 80s/90s music still too (Peter Gabriel). Pop and what not.

My main genre of taste since a teen to now is EDM. Subgenres of that include Progressive\Future Bass\Downtempo\Electronica\Trance.

I'll honestly listen to anything, but only music that catches my ear I'll want hear more than once.
I got into trance a few years ago. I was so upset when the Digitally Imported app on Windows Mobile stopped working.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My oldest daughter, now 31, turned me on to a band called Tea Party from Toronto when she was in high school. I’ve seen them live probably 10 times now. Funny how music spans generations both ways.

I paid attention to Canadian music when I did my studies in Brantford and later in Ottawa back in early 80s. College radio was the bees knees. There were quite a number of good bands then. Local Toronto ones like Martha & The Muffins, L'etranger, Nash The Slash, Blue Peter, Rational Youth... Many I had seen, they were great live.

I'm a big blues fan, & probably the best gig I went to was in Carleton U. The night before, me & my housemates caught Powder Blues Band, they were playing a couple of weekend nights at the residence hall. Great guitars and very tight horns section!! The following night, we saw Downchild Blues at the "small" pub on campus... Another superb show, that went on way way past midnight.. only for Powder Blues to crash in for jam session. I remember looking at several pub staff dancing on the table!! Beer was cheap!!

Yeah... college days were hell !!

... !

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Very true.

I took a Music History class back in college and it was interesting to me to experience how rooted jazz is in the culture of music today. Even now I can find a jazz flavor mixed in with whatever genre I am looking at. Jazz goes back kinda far and I believe it was the turning point in Music history...

I grew up on stuff like Depeche Mode, and Alice N Chains but was not limited to that. My parents took me to concerts for bands I was into, and later as I grew up I tagged along with friends into shows and saw bands like Dream Theatre (Man they Rock!). You have to give the youth an opportunity to be exposed to as much as possible imo. Otherwise they will never know what they are missing. Plus they themselves will never know what they might be interested in until they witness it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Not a cover but back in the day there was a club mix that blended I Feel Love with Giorgio Moroder's The Chase and it was insane.
That's a new one to me!!
That Patrick Cowley mix is probably the ultimate ...

in the meantime.. the orgasmic Love to love you, baby anyone?... not!!

... !

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You have to give the youth an opportunity to be exposed to as much as possible imo.
I couldn't possibly agree more. It's a shame how music and other arts are being whittled away from our public schools. If left to the current regime's devices, music will be something kids read about in history books.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I got into trance a few years ago. I was so upset when the Digitally Imported app on Windows Mobile stopped working.

I'm a big trance fan.

Are there any Chicane fans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4k2yrzeOk

Lamb is my favourite Genesis album. My second favourite Genesis album is Foxtrot, since I love Supper's Ready.

Kraftwerk is excellent and underrated.

I love all Genesis albums really. My favourite is probably Wind & Wuthering or Trick of the Tail. I like all eras of the band, even with Ray Wilson. Sad thay they never did a follow up album together.

Mmm. Probably SEBTP would be first since it was my first Genesis album. Second would probably be Trespass (live The Knife) but you can’t go wrong with any of them.

Another Genesis fan! Sorry, I don't know any others, except my dad who got me in to them to start with.

Underworld, Orbital.. not quite trance but some of their stuff is quite good

... !

Underworld and Orbital are both superb!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre