What type/genre of music do you listen to?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Blues, blues, blues..

Then old school rnb, funk, country 😃

Shoot, I listen to everything and as a musician, want to play any and all...welll not true.. I have a real problem listening to any of this new pop, hip hop, dub step, fake pop rock crap... I will listen to almost all music pree 2000, lol!

shaan sarode

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
@jaime That's a little harsh don't you think? Give a listen to music after the 2000s but not from the radio. Try Spotify, I'm sure you'd be utterly surprised about stuff that's more underground so to say. I can agree with dubstep though absolutely unbearable haha (Atleast to me)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
@jaime That's a little harsh don't you think? Give a listen to music after the 2000s but not from the radio. Try Spotify, I'm sure you'd be utterly surprised about stuff that's more underground so to say. I can agree with dubstep though absolutely unbearable haha (Atleast to me)

I was over generalizing the after 2000 thing. I listen to a lot of current music of certain genres. I use Pandora and other mixes to get the new stuff... I have some songs and artists I like. I lot of music now is so generic and artist are more front people for music industry and themselves are entertainers rather than musicians.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the parameters that Keller Williams established for his show Keller's Cellar: "There'll be no contemporary country or opera, but pretty much everything else is fair game."

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Game, movie, anime soundtracks primarily. (Halo, Deus Ex, Attack on Titan, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Inception, Mass Effect, The Matrix... even some i never watched or played.)

and a mix of others - some rock, a dash of kpop, a few pop, a lot of randomness.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Eh.... If it ain't rock and roll, turn it off.

Okay, I just like to type that. Actually, love some blues from time to time. But, mostly the hard rock-ish type stuff.

Also- guilty pleasure: Hair bands from the 80's-90's. I grew up with it. Explains the slowly lowering IQ points.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Mainly Rock/Metal (from Soft Rock and Ballads to Hard Rock, depends on the mood) but little bit from every genre (even Trance, some Jazz, the occasional classical music and 80s music) and I like weird genre-mixes (like Mariachi-Swing-Metal).
Also I kinda avoid the charts simply because I dislike most current "stars", like Bieber, Gaga and all the Whatsernames.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I was over generalizing the after 2000 thing. I listen to a lot of current music of certain genres. I use Pandora and other mixes to get the new stuff... I have some songs and artists I like. I lot of music now is so generic and artist are more front people for music industry and themselves are entertainers rather than musicians.

I agree that music as a whole got worse in the 2000s, but I do have quite a bit of good music from this era (though you would never hear most of it on the radio).

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that music as a whole got worse in the 2000s, but I do have quite a bit of good music from this era (though you would never hear most of it on the radio).

I agree there. Most of my music is not on the radio... The has the bubble gum pop, no matter the genre, mainstream formula based generic music.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I listen to most genres. From electronic to rock, rap and pop. I keep my own music collection because streaming services can't match it (e.g. no Peter Gabriel for a start). I'm quite happy listening to the likes of The Prodigy, Eminem, The Chemical Brothers and Placebo (to name just a few) alongside Genesis (my favourite band), Michael Jackson, Meatloaf, Led Zepellin, Marillion and much more.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I listen to most genres. From electronic to rock, rap and pop. I keep my own music collection because streaming services can't match it (e.g. no Peter Gabriel for a start). I'm quite happy listening to the likes of The Prodigy, Eminem, The Chemical Brothers and Placebo (to name just a few) alongside Genesis (my favourite band), Michael Jackson, Meatloaf, Led Zepellin, Marillion and much more.

LOL thanks for bumping a old thread!!

I listen to anything except the obviously commercial stuff. Other than that anything goes. Some of my faves :

New Order, Joy Division
Muddy Waters, JL Hooker, Neil Young ..
Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson
Talking Heads, The Cure, The Clash, The Sound
Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, D.Bowie
Martha & The Muffins, Philip Glass,
Lotsa old blues and Jazz, classical symphonies, cello & Violin concertos

... !

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
LOL thanks for bumping a old thread!!

I listen to anything except the obviously commercial stuff. Other than that anything goes. Some of my faves :

New Order, Joy Division
Muddy Waters, JL Hooker, Neil Young ..
Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson
Talking Heads, The Cure, The Clash, The Sound
Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, D.Bowie
Martha & The Muffins, Philip Glass,
Lotsa old blues and Jazz, classical symphonies, cello & Violin concertos

... !

Lots of good bands there. I also like The Clash and Brian Eno. How about Genesis, are you a fan (not many people are, sadly), even though Peter Gabriel (arguably) wouldn't have had the solo success he had without being the frontman of Genesis first.

I'm stuck in the 90s...Smashing Pumpkins, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Nirvana, Foo, etc, etc

Those are all good bands. Sadly though the Foo Fighters are a mere shadow of what they used to be. The Colour And The Shape is still their best work. You might like Finch or Funeral for A Friend (as well as Biffy Clyro). Very similar bands.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Those are all good bands. Sadly though the Foo Fighters are a mere shadow of what they used to be. The Colour And The Shape is still their best work. You might like Finch or Funeral for A Friend (as well as Biffy Clyro). Very similar bands.
Yeah, I agree. I'd still like to see them live again. They seem to still have a pretty lively show. I like Finch and I've heard of Funeral for a Friend, but I can't name any of their songs. I'll give them a listen. Thanks.
90s alternative music was just so awesome because there were tons of different styles of music that were all just so freaking good. On any given radio station during that time, you could hear Nine Inch Nails, followed by Sarah McLachlan, Toadies, the Pumpkins, Tool, and Counting Crows. All good alternative bands with totally different sounds. It was a musically rich time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05