What type/genre of music do you listen to?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I'd still like to see them live again. They seem to still have a pretty lively show. I like Finch and I've heard of Funeral for a Friend, but I can't name any of their songs. I'll give them a listen. Thanks.
90s alternative music was just so awesome because there were tons of different styles of music that were all just so freaking good. On any given radio station during that time, you could hear Nine Inch Nails, followed by Sarah McLachlan, Toadies, the Pumpkins, Tool, and Counting Crows. All good alternative bands with totally different sounds. It was a musically rich time.

You are very lucky. Foo Fighters are meant to be awesome playing live. I always wanted to see them live but never got a chance. I agree that the 90s was great for alternative music. Right now I listen to trance and drum and bass for when I run long distances, with songs such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FNULqVQYs

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You are very lucky. Foo Fighters are meant to be awesome playing live. I always wanted to see them live but never got a chance. I agree that the 90s was great for alternative music. Right now I listen to trance and drum and bass for when I run long distances, with songs such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FNULqVQYs
I listen to trance as well when I ride my bike or run, or just want to chill out. I prefer female vocals over male vocals though in trance music though.

That song you linked to is badass. Thanks.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Lots of good bands there. I also like The Clash and Brian Eno. How about Genesis, are you a fan (not many people are, sadly), even though Peter Gabriel (arguably) wouldn't have had the solo success he had without being the frontman of Genesis first.

Those are all good bands. Sadly though the Foo Fighters are a mere shadow of what they used to be. The Colour And The Shape is still their best work. You might like Finch or Funeral for A Friend (as well as Biffy Clyro). Very similar bands.

I'm not a Genesis fan, nor prog rock per se. I have tracks of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway somewhere. Perhaps I'll go back and give it a listen..

Didnt really get into Foo Fighter nor Nirvana. I listen to In Utero and heard a lot of Gang Of Four on it...

Meanwhile, I'm chilling out Kraftwerk Autobahn...

... !

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like a few Genesis songs, but don't know enough to give them the credit they are probably due. I really dig Brian Eno though.
I'll have to check out Gang of Four. The Foo/Nirvana/Alt Rock/Grunge movement happened right about the time I turned 16. I kind of came of age right along with that music. Good timing I guess.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Lots of good bands there. I also like The Clash and Brian Eno. How about Genesis, are you a fan (not many people are, sadly), even though Peter Gabriel (arguably) wouldn't have had the solo success he had without being the frontman of Genesis first.

Genesis (my favorite band) gave Gabriel the stage he needed to bring theatrics to rock music. I still love to watch old live videos on YouTube when they were performing in the early 70’s. Classic. Their music, much based on poetry and even mythology, still hasn’t been matched.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Except for gangsta rap and acid rock, I dig it all. Today was Peter Frampton’s birthday so I was burning up Frampton Comes Alive.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Um, I listen to anything but contemporary gospel and contemporary country music. These days, it's more social commentary based, inspirational stuff (old school reggae, old school soul), smooth jazz, 90s house music are in the current heavy rotation.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Since we're sharing, here are a couple of my favs.
https://youtu.be/ro4Pc6snJMI

and

https://youtu.be/b0DTBOQOdf4

Never heard of this band, but I like them. Thank you very much. Will check them out more.

They remind me of a British band called 'A' (seriously) who I like. You may also like Pitchshifter, another British band from my home city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_L87SNdVI

And Pitchshifter (you've probably heard this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42WcfkpaY50

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a Genesis fan, nor prog rock per se. I have tracks of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway somewhere. Perhaps I'll go back and give it a listen..

Didnt really get into Foo Fighter nor Nirvana. I listen to In Utero and heard a lot of Gang Of Four on it...

Meanwhile, I'm chilling out Kraftwerk Autobahn...

... !
Lamb is my favourite Genesis album. My second favourite Genesis album is Foxtrot, since I love Supper's Ready.

Kraftwerk is excellent and underrated.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to add, I'm a huge Van Morrison & Bruce Cockburn fan too...
I do like some of Dylan, esp the albums that was produced by Daniel Lanois ie Oh Mercy.

Oh yeah... and U2 too.

... !

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura.. a prog rock fan?? Who would have guess!! Haha

... !
My most recent musical acquisition is a jazz box set, though.
99ad1cdf6c4189696dc79e77a6e7a5f9.jpg

Laura.. a prog rock fan?? Who would have guess!! Haha

... !

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Haha.. Good stuff Laura.
I have quite a bit of Coltrane, Miles, the Marsalis brothers, etc

It always good to be open to all and explore everything. Some stuff I like years ago, I wont listen it anymore (mainly top40 stuff). Likewise, some that was incomprehensible then (Steve Reich, Glass) has become favourites in my collection.
Then there are artist I'd followed that doesn't stagnate but grows progressively and keep challenging me ... Bowie, Byrne, Laurie Anderson, Elvis Costello, Bjork etc... Those are for keeps..

... !

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My taste in music have changed like the wind over the last few years. Yet, I mostly listen to 70s, 80s rock. Boston is my all time favorite band. :)

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb