Nokia Stock

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Since nokia sold their HQ, their stock has been going up. ����

Old news, the deal was announced a long time ago, but it could be a small factor.

My dad sold his now, made $500.

Nothing wrong with locking in profits, but I would have told your dad to hold on a bit longer, at least until Q4 results come out in January 2013. If the sales of Lumias exceed analyst expectations (and they seem on pace to do so), the stock will pop! My target is $5. After that I will re-evaluate my position based on the Q4 report.

I think it's going up because of the China mobile deal that's supposed to be announced soon.

Yes, that's definitely a much bigger catalyst that the sale of their HQ. I believe they go on sale in China tomorrow, hence the run up before release. They also divested their NSN services this week, which could also contribute. But actually, there have been estimates on Nokia's share of the WP market, and they were estimated to hold ~94% of the market (WP7 + WP8), which is great news, since everyone was saying Samsung and HTC would cut into their share, rather than the other way around. Furthermore, they hold a large percentage of the WP8 market, based on early estimates, which is definitely a positive catalyst. But I don't expect the gains to be solid until more reliable numbers are released.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's definitely a much bigger catalyst that the sale of their HQ. I believe they go on sale in China tomorrow, hence the run up before release. They also divested their NSN services this week, which could also contribute. But actually, there have been estimates on Nokia's share of the WP market, and they were estimated to hold ~94% of the market (WP7 + WP8), which is great news, since everyone was saying Samsung and HTC would cut into their share, rather than the other way around. Furthermore, they hold a large percentage of the WP8 market, based on early estimates, which is definitely a positive catalyst. But I don't expect the gains to be solid until more reliable numbers are released.

when do you think worldwide sales numbers will be released? i am very interested to see how many phones have sold from the time the lumia line went retail up to january.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
when do you think worldwide sales numbers will be released? i am very interested to see how many phones have sold from the time the lumia line went retail up to january.

For all Windows Phones? Or just Nokia WPs? As far as Nokia is concerned, I expect numbers to be released during their Q4 meeting, which is around January 17th 2013. For all WPs, we will probably need to wait until Microsoft's meeting. I don't really follow MS, so I'm not sure when their meeting is. Even then, I've heard they can be tight lipped about numbers.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For all Windows Phones? Or just Nokia WPs? As far as Nokia is concerned, I expect numbers to be released during their Q4 meeting, which is around January 17th 2013. For all WPs, we will probably need to wait until Microsoft's meeting. I don't really follow MS, so I'm not sure when their meeting is. Even then, I've heard they can be tight lipped about numbers.

was talking about just nokia's numbers. thanks for that date, i will keep that in mind.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's earnings conference call is January 24, 2013.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with locking in profits, but I would have told your dad to hold on a bit longer, at least until Q4 results come out in January 2013. If the sales of Lumias exceed analyst expectations (and they seem on pace to do so), the stock will pop! My target is $5. After that I will re-evaluate my position based on the Q4 report.

It was unpredictable. He almost sold it at 3.29, but then it went up and up. I think it will go down tomorrow, but who knows? :)

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It was unpredictable. He almost sold it at 3.29, but then it went up and up. I think it will go down tomorrow, but who knows? :)

Until we get some real sales numbers, I think NOK will probably trade within a range of 3.20 - 3.60 (based on the information I have available to me now. Things may change tomorrow.) So I do think there is a re-entry point coming soon. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing sub 3 again however, barring a catastrophe.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Overall, I am more optimistic than pessimistic, but in the short term, I do think today's run up was more hype than substance.

nzrocketman

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
in my market-watch game i invested 100k when it was around $2.70-$2.80. Now i have a 31% profit or $31k...

..............if only it was real money :-( i didn't no how to invest internationally or i would of brought 5,500 shares

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
in my market-watch game i invested 100k when it was around $2.70-$2.80. Now i have a 31% profit or $31k...

..............if only it was real money :-( i didn't no how to invest internationally or i would of brought 5,500 shares

I started that way too, before I got a job to make money to invest with. I "bought" AAPL when they were ~$100, sold ~$690. I wish that had been real money too, but the important thing was that my ideas were right. There will be more opportunities, but I think Nokia still has a lot of gains to come.

You can buy ADRs from your US broker. That's the easiest way to get exposure to Nokia if you are in the US. If you have a brokerage account, just search for NOK and you can buy it that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99