Windows Phone 8 supports CPU with 64 cores but not 1080p display am I just mad ;)

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I think we do agree: we all have different eyesight, have different colour preferences, react differently to high contrast and brightness settings, etc. etc. etc... we agree that everyone has different requirements because we are all different, and for that reason alone there isn't a single best display.

I also very much like the iP5's display, but overall I like the L920's even better, although I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I perceive the L920's display's to be slightly more saturated, and as I'm used to OLED, that might explain it. In complete darkness I actually prefer the iP5, but under office lighting or outdoors I prefer the L920. Forced to choose one instead of an OLED display, I would take the L920's ;-)
Oddly i was comparing the 920 to my 8x and the colours on this seem more saturated, but, now here an interesting thing, the default picture of the kid playing football looked better on the 920. In that i could see more detail, the reason been there was a lower ppi than the 8x and so you could see the details a bit easier, im now thinking you can go to far with the ppi, because its now beyond what the eye can see it starts to essentially obscure details because you cant see them without zooming in. There is not a massive difference in ppi but it would seem its enough to just make that difference. At least to me.

So maybe pushing to 1080p or higher ppi displays will actually be negative in more than a couple of ways.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Now that the WP8 kernel supports multiple cores, there's nothing stopping apps from making use of 64 cores, except there isn't such a processor on the market yet.

You're forgetting that Microsoft strictly standardizes the hardware platform. The current chassis spec limits WP to using a dual core CPU. So yes, other things are stopping apps from making use of more than two cores ;-)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oddly i was comparing the 920 to my 8x and the colours on this seem more saturated, but, now here an interesting thing, the default picture of the kid playing football looked better on the 920. In that i could see more detail, the reason been there was a lower ppi than the 8x and so you could see the details a bit easier, im now thinking you can go to far with the ppi, because its now beyond what the eye can see it starts to essentially obscure details because you cant see them without zooming in. There is not a massive difference in ppi but it would seem its enough to just make that difference. At least to me.

So maybe pushing to 1080p or higher ppi displays will actually be negative in more than a couple of ways.

I can't inspect your visual cortex or what exactly it is you are seeing (I have no 8x at hand) but if I had to venture a guess, I would say you've likely misidentified the culprit.

You are likely looking at a high resolution image that must be down sampled. Down sampling an image from say 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (your 8x's native resolution) always incurs a loss of detail (pixels are removed from the image to fit it on your screen). The same applies when down sampling to the L920's native resolution, but less so, as it has a native resolution of 1280x768, meaning it has an extra 48 pixels of horizontal resolution in which to include detail that was down sampled away on the 8x. In other words, I'm guessing the effect you noticed isn't due to a PPI overdose, but simply due to the slightly lower resolution on the 8x.

You could test this by comparing an image with a resolution of 1280x720 on both devices. If you still feel detail is being lost, due to that detail effectively being to small to be picked up by the naked eye (the PPI overdose), then you are right. If not, then I am.

Last edited:

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't inspect your visual cortex or what exactly it is you are seeing (I have no 8x at hand) but if I had to venture a guess, I would say you've likely misidentified the culprit.

You are likely looking at a high resolution image that must be down sampled. Down sampling an image from say 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (your 8x's native resolution) always incurs a loss of detail (pixels are removed from the image to fit it on your screen). The same applies when down sampling to the L920's native resolution, but less so, as it has a native resolution of 1280x768, meaning it has an extra 48 pixels of horizontal resolution in which to include detail that was down sampled away on the 8x. In other words, I'm guessing the effect you noticed isn't due to a PPI overdose, but simply due to the slightly lower resolution on the 8x.

You could test this by comparing an image with a resolution of 1280x720 on both devices. If you still feel detail is being lost, due to that detail effectively being to small to be picked up by the naked eye (the PPI overdose), then you are right. If not, then I am.
You could be right, i only have the 8x at hand. This was only an observation made in store. Though my guess would be those extra 48 pixels wouldn't make such a big difference. I don't know, would be interesting to see. Im not even sure what the resolution of that picture is as it doesn't tell you but in either phone it doesn't fill the screen fully so who knows.

Try it in store if you see two side by side and see what you think.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If the market wants 1080p. Then you make 1080p. Costs HTC, Samsung,Nokia etc. less when they use an Android 1080p display also in a WP8 phone.

No. You decide on what your primary goals are and how you intend to offer more value to all stakeholders than your competition. Then you execute that strategy. And you stick with it, at least until you've implemented it half way. You don't go making major strategical shifts at every little pothole. Otherwise you end up behaving like a drunken sailor, stumbling about every time some little thing, like 1080p displays, pops up on your path.

WP has never been about chasing the latest hardware, neither has iOS, but that pretty much sums up the entirety of Google's strategy with android.

The frustrating thing is MS's slow pace of strategy execution, but the strategy itself is sound.

What they released as WP8 is what WP7 should have been.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
No. You decide on what your primary goals are and how you intend to offer more value to all stakeholders than your competition. Then you execute that strategy. And you stick with it, at least until you've implemented it half way. You don't go making major strategical shifts at every little pothole. Otherwise you end up behaving like a drunken sailor, stumbling about every time some little thing, like 1080p displays, pops up on your path.

WP has never been about chasing the latest hardware, neither has iOS, but that pretty much sums up the entirety of Google's strategy with android.

The frustrating thing is MS's slow pace of strategy execution, but the strategy itself is sound.

What they released as WP8 is what WP7 should have been.

this i think is very true, i admit to sitting on the sidelines for a long while, watching, thinking that's smart but not there yet. When new hardware was released for wp8 i decided it was time. The s3 was tricked out but still not as enjoyable to use as this, i think they have got a good balance hardware wise. They have done enough to be competitive with the change of software and hardware on so far as making future proof. They just need to crank it up on software, tidy ot up, release some kick ass games. For the love of god they make xbox, tap into it properly not half arsed. And as much as they say they have top 47 apps its simply not enough.

It will get you there it wont keep you there. Its enough for now but it needs pushing harder, we bought a kick ass smartphone not a kick ass feature phone and unless it gets more apps that's what it will become.

They have done the hardest part now just sell it and expand, we will wait but not forever.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a look at the Nokia 820 with SAMOLED on it and compared it with the htc 8x and I think the htc 8x display look natural and better looking whereas the 820 is over saturated just my opinion I also had a look at the SONY T it look good but I prefer the Window phone 8 interface.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a look at the Nokia 820 with SAMOLED on it and compared it with the htc 8x and I think the htc 8x display look natural and better looking whereas the 820 is over saturated just my opinion I also had a look at the SONY T it look good but I prefer the Window phone 8 interface.
820 isn't super AMOLED its AMOLED touchscreen with resolution of 480x800 pixel while HTC 8x is Super LCD 2 with resolution of 720x1280 pixel

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Well, I think you have your answer then. I like the inky blacks on OLED more than I dislike the oversaturated colors, but I totally get that you may prefer the opposite. Stick with LCD's. ;-)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The s3 was tricked out but still not as enjoyable to use as this.

WP7 never used the S3. No WP7 device ever had anything more powerful than a single core S2. That just goes to show what Microsoft's standardization policy allows them to trick out of the hardware.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
WP7 never used the S3. No WP7 device ever had anything more powerful than a single core S2. That just goes to show what Microsoft's standardization policy allows them to trick out of the hardware.
sorry i wasn't clear, i meant the galaxy s3, that what i had before coming to windows, a true powerhouse of a phone, but it still could never run as smooth as any of the wp8 phones

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think you have your answer then. I like the inky blacks on OLED more than I dislike the oversaturated colors, but I totally get that you may prefer the opposite. Stick with LCD's. ;-)

I'm use to LCD more but it was weird when I look at the 820 it just didn't look right than I saw the s3 and note 2 it look miles better I think it was due to resolution and the screen tech in both of them are more up to date (I know the s3 and note have different SAMOLED tech s3 pentiles and note 2 being like the s2 SAMOLED Plus matrix i think :wink:).

I feel like buying the SONY but I want Windows Phone 8 interface (must try to stop an impulse buy :wink:)

Anyway waiting to May to buy my next phone I see whats coming out (damn those SONY phones look sexy :wink:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss