Nokia: Aluminium vs Plastic which is better overall

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

I suppose most have heard the rumor or saw the report on the wpcentral about this new Nokia phone (catwalk sexy name:wink:) which is supposedly be aluminum unbodied with the same spec now this is my questions;

What the main advantages and disadvantages of using aluminum instead of plastic and the same for plastic over aluminum? :angel:

I know I'm going for the nokia lumia 920 when it get cheaper but if this new one comes out before May I would go for that instead but I would want some knowledge about the difference so that I could way up which would be the most best overall. :angel:

"With more knowledge I grow stronger everyday :amaze: " quote from myself unless someone else came up with it then I'm just borrowing :wink:

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the main advantage would be that it would be lighter, thinner, and in turn allow for more space within the phone for bigger battery, memory card slots, and whatever else they decide throw in.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hated the reception my titan had, possibly due to the aluminum build? Yuck

I love the radio invisibility of poly

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the look and feel of aluminum over polycarbonate, but I like that polycarbonate doesn't have to have an antenna "spot". I also like that the color on poly doesn't wear off, like some aluminum coatings can. But, IMO, well done aluminum is prefrable to well done polycarbonate.

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Another important thing that will suffer except the antenna is the fact that the phone will not have wireless charging. The aluminium will interfere with the EM waves which transport the energy during inductive charging.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Another important thing that will suffer except the antenna is the fact that the phone will not have wireless charging. The aluminium will interfere with the EM waves which transport the energy during inductive charging.

yea boo on that, plus the antenna"spots" look cheap to me

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My N8 in aluminium had a lot of sentimental value partially due to the great feel of the aluminium. It still looks brand new after 2 years.

Problems with it are that it conducts heat really well and it blocks signal more so than plastic, which causes N8 for example to have plastic end caps as already mentioned, also see the antennagate issue of iPhone which is partially the same problem.

Pros are lighter, can be more durable to certain kind of wear and tear/damage, feels more premium to me, if done right doesnt dent or flake like iPhone 5 (prime example of aluminium done wrong).

It sounds like a great thing, if done and designed right

Koato8

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly love the colorful polycarbonate that they threw on the 920. Aluminum or magnesium might work too but only with rounded edges imo. I dislike the rough feel of sharp metal edges.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb