Favorite video game?

JungleFiene

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can think of games that were more engaging, but nothing beat the moment of excitement when I first played Super Mario 64. My brain could not comprehend the level of amazing in walking around freely in a 3-D environment. Then, enter Ocarina of Time and my brain melted. The twist in Bioshock / the first time I broke 1,000,000 pts in Tony Hawk were cool moments, but nothing beats playing Super Mario 64.

Also, playing/watching/listening Kingdom Hearts I/II was great.

Nirodrit534

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
All time, Halo 3, I played that game so much with my brother and my cousin. I put so many hours into that game it's ridiculous.
Others are:
OoT: 3DS
AC 3 was a pretty fun game, but it was also very buggy at times.
I guess RuneScape too(If those kind of games count.) It's definitely the game I have the most memories with and the funnest. I put 5 years into it. It's really bad now tho. RIP
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
Mario Kart: DD

Last edited:

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a single favorite game, so here are different favorites that I personally liked:

Favorite multiplayer FPS game - I'd say original Unreal Tournament (many kids here probably don't even know what this is ;-)), though I also had lots of fun with Team Fortress 2.
Favorite PvE MMORPG game - LOTRO.
Favorite PvP MMORPG game - EVE Online.
Favorite single-player game - there are several of them which I liked equally, starting from original Deus Ex, then Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (the best Star Wars - themed game ever released), the Dragon Age: Origins (the second DA game sucked because EA already took over Bioware), the first 2 Mass Effect games (the third one sucked, again because EA took over Bioware) and the "Witcher 2" (the first one was pretty mediocre, but the second one was surprisingly awesome - I especially like how the game developer was not afraid of properly implementing the "mature" scenes, something that most of USA-based game developers are extremely afraid of doing... Also, the graphics engine used in this game is pretty amazing and produces awesome visual effects when being run at maximum settings).

All of these games I've played on PC - I do have both Xbox360 and PS3 (they were gifts) but I find the overall gaming experience with them extremely deficient compared to PC games, especially when it comes to user enhancements for games (for example, there are several hundreds of various mods available for FREE for the PC version of Skyrim game which can enhance every aspect of it and provide many hours of additional gameplay, for FREE) ;-P

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
If you ask me again in 5 minutes the list would probably change, its a hard question.
PC: Duke Nukem 3D
NES: Bionic Commando back in the day, today Dr Mario
SNES: Earth Worm Jim
GameCube: A golf game I had, forgot the exact title.
Wii: Mario Cart
Game Boy: Tetris
Game Boy Color: Mario Tennis
NDS: Nintendogs
XBOX: GTA Vice City
XBOX 360: Far Cry 3
iOS: Cooking Dash
Comondore 64: North and South
Amiga 500: Lemmings

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Favorite multiplayer FPS game - I'd say original Unreal Tournament (many kids here probably don't even know what this is ;-)), though I also had lots of fun with Team Fortress 2.

Blasphemy!!!! TFC was and is the best team based online FPS EVER. TF2 took so long to come out, then when it did it was an abomination.

Sorry.....I was a member of a TFC clan that is top 10 all time, i put more time into that game than i care to count, but i played competitively for 4+ years, so....long time. TF2 was such a disappointment, pretty much zero TFC players moved over to TF2.

I will say if you enjoyed the game type, you should check out Fortress Forever, its a game like TF2 but with everything like it was in TFC. It was actually made by ex TFC clanners
Shawn

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Blasphemy!!!! TFC was and is the best team based online FPS EVER. TF2 took so long to come out, then when it did it was an abomination.

Sorry.....I was a member of a TFC clan that is top 10 all time, i put more time into that game than i care to count, but i played competitively for 4+ years, so....long time. TF2 was such a disappointment, pretty much zero TFC players moved over to TF2.

I will say if you enjoyed the game type, you should check out Fortress Forever, its a game like TF2 but with everything like it was in TFC. It was actually made by ex TFC clanners
Shawn
Eh... I've tried TFC when it came out, never really liked it... Don't know why. Was also busy playing UT, then I got addicted to RtCW and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory multiplayers for a while. TF2, however, was lots of fun since the first day of its release, at least untill Valve started to boost up the survivability of other classes with various trinkets while not giving anything really useful or fun to engineers or pyros :-/ I still play it occasionally - it's a pretty good "casual" (which is what I prefer nowadays) FPS with plenty of active population still playing it.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, to keep this simple I am going to make a top 5 list.

Duke Nukem 3D - DOS - I even spent 2 years developing a 6 level episode backtracking to the initial invasion and it even had a crashed spaceship, custom graphics, new weapons, and sound tracks.

Breath of Fire 3 - PSX/PSP - I've played through it twice.

Twisted Metal Series - PSX / PS2 / PS3 - I've dipped an ungoddly amount of time playing that series.

Roller Coaster Tycoon - Win 95/98 - also dipped a ton of hours into that game too.

Battlefield 3 - XBox 360 - abolutley the best FPS you can find.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
God of War III PS3
Super Smash Bros. (All of them) N64 Gamecube Wii
Neverwinter Nights PC
Heroes of Might and Magic III PC
Skyrim Xbox 360
Mortal Kombat SNES
Twisted Metal PS2

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I still like PC gaming the best, but the biggest problem PC gaming has compared to console gaming is hacks.

I am in a group that does a lot of PC gaming and unless you have punkbuster and a server streaming to PBBans, PC gaming is pretty bad.

The PC gaming group that I am in had a CoD 4 server for a while and we caught like 130 hackers with it. Some of the screenshots we got were unbelievable. We're playing CoD Black Ops 2 now and it doesn't have punkbuster or the ability to stream to PBBans and we run into people going 72-3 in a round.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I still like PC gaming the best, but the biggest problem PC gaming has compared to console gaming is hacks.

I am in a group that does a lot of PC gaming and unless you have punkbuster and a server streaming to PBBans, PC gaming is pretty bad.

The PC gaming group that I am in had a CoD 4 server for a while and we caught like 130 hackers with it. Some of the screenshots we got were unbelievable. We're playing CoD Black Ops 2 now and it doesn't have punkbuster or the ability to stream to PBBans and we run into people going 72-3 in a round.

Hackers/PunkBuster is the biggest reason I switched to console gaming. Hackers suck and Punkbuster was just as bad. I had so many problems with PunkBuster.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hacks/cheats for multiplayer games are a problem, yes (I've dealt with such things since the Unreal Tournament days), but it can be dealt with, all it takes is a dedicated anti-cheat system from game companies themselves (instead of relying on PunkBuster which sucks for many reasons) and/or proper admin tools for custom servers. Like I've said, I can still enjoy a cheat-free gaming experience on many favorite TF2 servers (and if cheaters appear- it's relatively easy to contact those server's admins and get the cheaters banned same day) even though this game is f2p and there are many aimbots/speedhacks exist for it (both free and paid). I'd rather put up with occasional hackers on PC versions than deal with severe limitations (like inferior controller, inferior graphics, very small amount of simultaneous players, no ability to use free user-created game mods/maps, no choice of VoIP programs, etc.) of console versions of same games ;-) Of course not all PC game developers provide adequate tools for dealing with cheaters or tools for creating free mods/maps for their multiplayer games, but I try to not deal with such crappy/greedy developers and their artificially restricted products ;-)

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Currently I've only tried Halo Reach and 3 for FPS but they are awesome! Also, sometimes I just like playing those basic accelerometer games on my WP...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've only been a PC gamer:

Raven Shield
Call Of Duty Series
Battlefield Series

Not even going to lie, I died a little on the inside when you called yourself a PC gamer and chose Call of Duty and Battlefield as your standouts...Come on, Team Fortress? Counter-Strike? Unreal? Quake? DOOM? What is this world coming to?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Being the semi-pessimistic/wordy person that I am, I'll cover two things: Games/franchises I love and games/franchises I hate.

Love:

Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories: I only got to play those 3 in the series (sorry, not going to get 2-3 handhelds to play them all), but they're all really good games. I actually never got to finish KH2, but I certainly will eventually (plan to get a PS2 and all of the PS2-compatible KH titles I can).

Halo Franchise: I'll just name the whole franchise, but I wasn't that impressed with Halo 3, which felt like a step down with multiplayer when compared to Halo 2, and a redundancy of sorts (particularly the ending) from the first installment. Thinking about it, as great as the franchise is, they actually have 4 stellar titles (Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4), one OK title (Halo 3), and 2 that were kind of stinky (Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST, which I never actually got to play).

Gears of War franchise: I want to go beat the second and third games on Insane sometime, but I'm bad at replaying campaigns (part of why I hate the way they make you beat the campaign before playing Insane on Gears). I didn't care for the multiplayer after the first game, but it was a nice story, and one of the few games I can think of where there were plenty of well-developed characters, especially surprising because of the genre (shooter) that it was in.

Unreal Championship: This was THE PLACE to be on Xbox LIVE before Halo 2. It was where I started Xbox LIVE, and I wish that its successor (Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict) had been better and that console gamers had given Unreal Tournament 3 some love.

Forza 2-4: I didn't play the first, nor have I played Horizons, but I can definitively say that this is the best racing franchise there's ever been. I really liked Project Gotham Racing and a few of the Need for Speed games (specifically the original Most Wanted and Carbon), but Forza is the best that there is.

Pok?mon: I won't list all of the games that I've played in the franchise, but basically everything on Nintendo 64 was in my console at some point, and about everything from Blue to Sapphire made it to one of my handhelds.

Urban Terror: I'll just point this out as a standout PC shooter that I really liked. It started as a mod of Quake 3: Team Arena, but it's actually a standalone title you can download now. Even today, it's a pretty impressive game because of the need to bandage yourself when shot and the dynamic breath (depending on your remaining health). It was probably the first shooter I ever played, as well as the first competitive-style game I played online.

I'll stop that list there, as I could go one for a loooong time. Now, to the bad.

Hate:

Grand Theft Auto Franchise: I've only played GTA III and Vice City, while also seeing San Andreas played. I've never really figured out what makes these mind-numbing games so great for people. They seemed shallow, repetitive, and without much REAL direction. The open-world play is great and all, but it never felt like it served a great purpose.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2-3: I have to be honest here, I poured a LOT of time into MW2, but after I got Black Ops, I realized how poorly-made that turd from Infinity Ward was. Then MW3 came out, and I was appalled at the fact that they managed to make something WORSE. Those two games are so bad that I'll never buy from Infinity Ward again.

Assassin's Creed 2: Honestly, the game's not that bad. It just didn't feel like the gameplay varied enough from the previous title, so it was rather bland and unimpressive. I'm now ignoring the rest of the games, despite owning Revelations and living with a cousin who has Brotherhood. I just have no desire to finish up the series right now.

BioShock 2: I loved the first game. This one? It's really chuggy and sad. I'm supposed to be a Big Daddy, yet I feel like glass. I get that part of the survival/horror FPS games is the scarcity of weaponry, but it's extremely annoying having to trudge through the game so slowly and constantly feel like you're about as strong as a Little Sister, rather than being a Big Daddy. I've been trying to force myself through the campaign, but I basically play for 30-60 minutes than take a 2-month break. Nothing is gripping in the story, the gameplay's slow and monotonous, and I just can't believe how irritated I get playing that game.

Anyway, I could add to both lists for hours, but I'll stop.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess RuneScape too(If those kind of games count.) It's definitely the game I have the most memories with and the funnest. I put 5 years into it. It's really bad now tho. RIP

Man, Runescape. I played SO much of that in junior high and high school. I haven't actually played it in probably 6 years or so, but it was a heck of a time to play with the 3 people in my class who joined me. I even went so far as to have a membership for quite some time. I did hop on there a couple of times over these past few years to see what it's like, and it's incredibly depressing. The inflation's out of control, there's NOTHING new added worth messing with (seriously, Dragon armor's still the best there is after all this time?), and because the non-member bank is so restricted, I couldn't even TRY to play if I wanted. I have probably 200+ unique items in my bank (the limit's something like 50, I think), and many are member-only items, so without resubbing, I can't even sell/trade them. My account's in eternal, pointless limbo.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Age of Empires 1 & 2 is my favorite(s) by far, then there's the Pokemon series, civilization, and grand theft auto.
Am I the only one here who is into AoE? I remember playing it as an 8 year old, now I'm 22 and still love it!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1) 2 & 3 (PS2)..never got around to try 4 unfortunately
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 (PC)
Borderlands 1 & 2 (PC)
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (PC)
Civilization V (PC)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
Battlefield 2 (PC)
Bioshock (PC)

Anno 2070 and Far Cry 3 (both PC) will likely make the list but still haven't put enough time in them yet

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Age of Empires 1 & 2 is my favorite(s) by far, then there's the Pokemon series, civilization, and grand theft auto.
Am I the only one here who is into AoE? I remember playing it as an 8 year old, now I'm 22 and still love it!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

I got into AoE once upon a time. I played a few rounds but once I got into an 8 hour long round and after that I was done. I mean really 8 HOURS of non stop playing and then I won and I said to myself. well. I made it through all the ages. unlocked everything possible and wasted an entire night on a single round of a game with no real story line. It's time to move on, I like girls too. I want to get into it again but I just don't have the time.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I don't play too many video games anymore so most of mine are old school:

*Turbo (arcade)
*Galaga (arcade/Namco Museum editions)
*Ms. Pac-Man (arcade/Namco Museum editions)
*Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
*PGA Tour II (Sega Genesis)
*NHL '94 (Sega Genesis)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos