4th Generation Intel Processors

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there any advantage of the 4th generation versus the current generation? I'm thinking of getting the 21.5 inch imac now, but maybe apple will release the next one, which WILL have the 4th generation, and requires a touch screen.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there any advantage of the 4th generation versus the current generation? I'm thinking of getting the 21.5 inch imac now, but maybe apple will release the next one, which WILL have the 4th generation, and requires a touch screen.

You're saying that a intel cpu requires a touchscreen ? Eh ?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
But can desktops with this processor work? And do desktops with this processor need touchscreen?

Of course it'll work on desktops. It's just a branding thing. In order to call your Haswell / 4th generation Core i5 laptop an Ultrabook, (and therefore have Intel's marketing push behind you), you need to, among other things, have a touchscreen and support WiDi.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Of course it'll work on desktops. It's just a branding thing. In order to call your Haswell / 4th generation Core i5 laptop an Ultrabook, (and therefore have Intel's marketing push behind you), you need to, among other things, have a touchscreen and support WiDi.

So that means the new macs (desktops and laptops) will need touch?

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So that means the new macs (desktops and laptops) will need touch?

Nope. Only notebooks that want to be branded "Ultrabooks" and receive a share of the marketing dollars Intel provides for Ultrabooks. Apple uses Intel chips but has not participated in the Ultrabook initiative so far (or even the Intel Inside program) and likely won't this time. Apple does their marketing themselves so doesn't much care for any of these requirements.

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the only advantage is increased battery life in notebooks which won't matter to you since you have an iMac. As far as requiring a touch screen that's only for the PC Manufacturers who are apart of the ultrabook initiative. Although, I think Apple will use the fourth gen CPUs when they refresh their Mac line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro