What's your "tech ecosystem"?

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
First of all, love this forum, looking for some discussion and sharing about your tech set-ups.

Here we go!

- iPad - the heart and soul of my setup
- for day to day internet browsing
- photo management - directly imported via adapter from my Oly EPL1. The photos are automatically shared to my iphone (for browsing) and PC (for back up) via photostream.
- SplashTop (app) for remote access to my living room laptop
- PLEX - access all my media content from the PC with such style
- Airplay - play anything from my iPad wirelessly (video and audio)​
- 5 year old core 2 duo Win 8 laptop with a bunch of USB hard drives attached (this thing was a beast back in the day) - on living room TV
- torrents, youtube, PLEX, music management (wireless sync through itunes)​
- Apple TV - on bedroom TV, only for wireless playback from iphone/ipad
- Airport Express - Kitchen speakers, 1 click wireless speaker for my iphone
- iPhone 4s - best way to carry music on a phone as far as i know, airplay, photo stream (love it, only keep photos for 30 days unless you save it, no need to manually manage space)
- Xbox. though it's not really part of the ecosystem

I really want the Surface, it will make media & photo management and productivity much easier. but it doesn't have the easy wireless capabilities that Apple has. Play to Xbox is only mediocre when I had the chance to play with it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Amazon love it buy all my MP3 on it use there cloud storage I love it :love: (Cloud Player can store 250 songs for free and cloud storage of 5GB)
PlayStation brought stuff off it and will continue to PS4 (it better impress if it going to last 10 years :wink:)
Microsoft love there product offices, skydrive, outlook all good :angel:

There might be more but I forgot until I see email saying you haven't use this for over a while please come back we miss you :evil:

Am open minded and don't like being tied down to one ecosystem if another ecosystem not compatible I take it on the chin (and look for alternative :wink:)

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My tech ecosystem is predominantly Microsoft. I have an Amazon account which I use to Purchase MP3s and other stuff and I have a Google Account for YouTube.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So far all products are basically ms, but none of them are synced to each other unless you count smart glass.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft all the way. Home setup is lenovo 27" AIO touchscreen beauty linked to a 2TB NAS, Surface RT, xbox 360 and an HTC 8X. Xbox music subscription with everything stored on the NAS so i can access from anywhere on my RT. Picked up a couple of jawbone jambox speakers for xmas as they were reduced, quite impressed with the sound they pump out for their size and the range from the device its playing from. Got one for music upstairs and one for downstairs so can always play music wherever i am in the house. Got two outlook accounts that ive had for years giving me a nice 50gb of skydrive storage.

Having everything windows 8 is a pretty flawless experience. Everything is set up just how I want it and works just how i want it to.

Ive got to admit I did have issues with transfering music over from Zune but since I got rid of my windows 7 desktop and got everything on windows 8 with xbox music its pretty good

Also got to admit im not impressed with smartglass so far. Novelty has worn off using internet through my xbox and using my phone as the keypad. Having my surface laying around makes it just as easy to go on the internet on that. The additional functionality that was supposed to be present is a bit slow in coming they have only just started releasing films on xbox movies that have the additional information but they cost a bit more to buy which i think is a bit cheeky as some of the films are pretty pricey already. Theres still no upgrade to netflix using smartglass so a lot of the films that i watch through that the surface only acts as a rather large remote control.

Thinking about it im actually a little worried about future demos of future products - Have got a kinect as well and can remeber seeing stuff for that demoed thats never seen the light of day.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Desktop PC at home runs Windows 8 Pro
Tablet is Surface RT
Phone is Lumia 920
No gaming console newer than GameCube, dont see any reason for console gaming, my PC is a gaming rig.
Fiancee's phone is a WP7,5 :p

Don't use any iTunes/Spotify/Xbox music-kinda software for anything. Use Netflix to watch movies.

All of my other services I've moved from Google to Microsoft when I got a Windows Phone. So Gmail and Google docs turned into Outlook and Skydrive. YouTube I still use, not trying to replace that :p

I'm happy with my Windowsified setup :D

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My home network revolves around my Windows Home Server. All of my pics, videos, documents, music is stored onboard, and my three PCs back up daily to it. I have two desktop PCs at my desk running Win7, and my laptop running Win8. I stream from the home server to the living room through a Playstation 3 that sadly, is mostly an overpriced HTPC, I haven't played a game on it for a long time.

All of my pictures are backed up to Skydrive of course, and I back the entire home server up to CrashPlan.

I get my music mostly with the Xbox music pass (I still have the grandfathered MP3 plan), and I buy a few albums from time to time on Amazon, I also stream Slacker Radio on my phone.

I watch movies over Netflix streaming and discs or Amazon or a few movies I have stored on the home server box.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Mostly Apple - 2 iPads (best tablet device on the market), 2 AppleTVs (perfect for watching TV series/movies and showing my photos/videos on large screen in most easy way imaginable), MacBookPro (for all my laptop needs... Unfortunately it is too old to properly use AirPlay functions with AppleTVs), iPhone 4S (not being used as cellphone since I'm trying to like teh Lumia 920 right now), lots of music/videos/TV shows in an iTunes library. Separate PC for playing games and testing out Microsoft's wacky experiments (like Windows 8 and its "fabulous!" but oh-so-redundant Tetris GUI). A couple of gaming consoles (Xbox360 and PS3) solely used for entertainment of simple-minded guests (who prefer to experience gaming in an inferior way) ;-) That's about all of my "ecosystem".

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Phones - Nokia 920 and 900, iPhone 5 and two (2) iPhone 4S, Optimus G, Galaxy S3 and S2, Palm Pre (for s&g) and some others I can't think of atm.

Tablets - iPad 3 and iPad 2, BlackBerry PlayBok and Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus

5-6 year old Dell XPS 9200 with (recently purchased) Asus 23 inch widescreen as well as Gateway NV series laptop.

Xbox 360 and for the moment, a PS3.

I missed a lot of other stuff, but I'm sleep and can't think right now.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Phones - Nokia 920 and 900, iPhone 5 and two (2) iPhone 4S, Optimus G, Galaxy S3 and S2, Palm Pre (for s&g) and some others I can't think of atm.

I'm just imagining how you run around with 10 phones, taking multiple calls at the same time :wink:

Personally I was always using Windows Mobile and later Windows Phone devices and Windows on my computers. I even use a Windows computer at my office what rises some compatibility issues.

I don't like Apple as iOS looks like it was designed around 10 years ago (what it probably was, it never changed) and the company should have written 'Hypocrisy' on their logo. Android is too "every app can read out your contacts and send them to wherever it wants"-like for my taste.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost all in the Microsoft ecosystem.

-Xbox music: I have Xbox music. I also have a Xbox music pass as well. Work perfectly for me

-Xbox Video: i do download videos and watch them on my Xbox and win 8 computer.

-windows 8: i have a windows 8 desktop. The dell one 27 AIO. And i also have a tablet. Which is the Samsung Ativ Smart PC.

-Windows phone: I currently have a 8X and a Samsung Omnia W. :)

-Xbox 360. I also have a Xbox 360. Which i use smartglass, play games and watch and listen to music and videos.

Xbox smartglass: I use this regularly because I sometimes can't be bothered to use by control.

Xbox Games for windows 8: I love getting achievements from my windows 8 Xbox games

-SkyDrive, outlook.com and IE10 and Bing: i use these web services as well. Pretty useful to me.

Office 2013: of course I'll use this all the time

So yes I'm basically fully in the MS ecosystem

Last edited:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm also mostly with Microsoft.

Windows 7, WP7, Office, Skydrive, Hotmail/Outlook, hopefully sometime soon a Windows 8 Laptop/Tablet, Zune/Xbox Music, Bing

I watch movies through Netflix and most of my PC games are split between Steam and Origin

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Computer (both dual booted) - custom built Win8/Win7 machine, MacBook Pro with Win8, and I'll throw the Xbox in here as it is a non mobile gaming computer (technically)
Mobile - HTC titan (soon to be Lumia 920), iPod touch 4th gen, HTC Flyer
Software - SkyDrive, Xbox music, Zune, Office 2013, MSDN, Xbox live, amazon kindle.

And that's all I can think of for now.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It was heavily Apple dominated, but now my ecosystem is pretty Microsoft orientated. The only Apple product still in use is the Airport Extreme, but this will be gone today since I no longer require dual-band WiFi - let's save some power and use the Virgin Media modem / router.

So I have the following:

• Virgin Media Tivo Box - Absolutely love this piece of kit, for all my television needs.
  • Custom-built desktop - sports AMD Bulldozer quad-core, 16GB RAM, SSD, fan-less AMD GFX card and some other eye-orgasm goodness. Used for gaming and video editing.
  • ASUS Vivobook S400 - My pride and joy, Windows 8 laptop for all work to be processed.
  • Xbox 360 - For those moments where fraggin' on the PC just isn't enough.
  • Lumia 920 - The main Windows Phone, worth a plug!

The only item I lack is a tablet, which is likely to be an Acer.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
There's so much that I use

Apple: Apple TV, iPhone 5, iTunes, and AirPlay.
Microsoft: Hp all in one with windows 7, hotmail, skydrive, and Zune
Google: gmail, google maps, google drive, looking into the chromebook, google play music, and that's all that I can think of

Paulsalame

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft: Nokia Lumia 920. Dell xps 14 upgraded to Windows 8.
Apple: iPod classic 30 Gb (Nothing beats that for music)
Google: Nexus 7
Sony: PS3 for gaming
Mainly use Box for file transfer but now leaning more towards Skydrive because of the integration with the Lumia 920.
Torrents for watching movies and shows lol

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Sony VAIO Z 13.1"
Quad Core i7, 64x2 RAID 0 SSD, 4GB RAM, 1080P Full HD Screen, 10+ hrs battery life, Power Media Dock, Windows 8 Pro x64

Dell 24" Ultrasharp IPS Monitor

Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked

Apps, entertainment and multimedia device: iPod Touch 5th Gen 32GB!

Contacts, calenders through Google

Mail through Outlook (trying to switch to GMail)

Cloud Storage: Skydrive, Dropbox

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm somewhat diverse with a Lumia 920, iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and an iPad Mini (that I won in a contest), Win 8 on desktop and laptop.

Outlook.com for mail, calendar & contacts, SkyDrive (25 GB!) & Box (50 GB!), and I've kept my Google account open for business reasons (mainly Google+) though I'd can it if I could. (Just forward Gmail to Outlook.com and I don't have to use the Gmail interface.) I even use Live Domains to host my business domain email/calendar/contacts (free!).

Some iCloud for syncing stuff on the iPhone and iPads, and Dropbox for those apps that only offer that for sync. Also, Evernote and OneNote (redundancy is a friend).

A little tinkering required, but it all works.

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Lumia 920 with my old 800 as a backup, iPod touch even though I hardly use it anymore, PS3 but I'm thinking about getting a cheap 2nd hand 360 or maybe just waiting for the next XBox. I use SkyDrive for storing stuff online, I prefer it to iCloud because I get more storage and iCloud is just useless imo, I like being free to decide what I have online.

iSicle

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hardware:

- Lumia 800 (daily driver for information, messaging, email and entertainment on the go)
- i5-2500K 3.3GHz with 128GB SSD as system disk desktop running W8 Pro
- Fujitsu UH-572 Ultrabook running W8 Pro
- Acer Aspire One AOA150 Netbook running XP (no real point upgrading to W8 because the resolution is too low on the device for Met...*krhm* Modern UI Apps)

Mail contacts & cloud storage:

- Outlook.com (Primary mail and contacts)
- gmail
- Skydrive
- Dropbox
- Gdrive

Apps and music

- Windows Phone Store
- Windows Store
- Nokia Music
- Xbox Music Pass

Pretty much MS I'd say... :)

Members online

Forum statistics