OCTA 8 CORE PROCESSOR in a MOBILE (AMAZING)

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

I think it incredible what there pushing in CES I was just expecting an improvement performance and graphics shock to me when I read about Samsung Octa 8 processor exynos 5250.:amaze:

Which I think it 75% better performance then the previous exynos chip with it being more energy saving. :amaze:

The 8 cores is divided in half: four main cores are based on the A15 architecture, the other four cores are based on A7 architecture:grin:

This will have ARM big.LITTLE technology this is what make it power efficient and the four cores based on the A7 architecture. :amaze:

Thoughts, opinions or views :angel:

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It is really amazing but I believe they need to work on making them as efficient as possible and as optimized as possible. There also needs to be applications that can draw from this power and do something useful with it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It is really amazing but I believe they need to work on making them as efficient as possible and as optimized as possible. There also needs to be applications that can draw from this power and do something useful with it.

Yes and no. One huge advantage of this is that multiple apps optimized for multi-core could run at once without sharing cores. I like the idea of having two different core sizes. One more powerful set for when you need it and one set of low power for when you don't.

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather have a super efficient dual core than a octo core that's efficient, but doesnt get as much battery life as a dual core because it still has more cores. I'd like to be able to go 3 days or something off one battery charge :grin:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It would be good to hear about an amazing battery that can last for over a week and doesn't matter what you do with it such as playing game, internet etc. :wink:

Companies need to focus more on the battery side then go crazy with CPU, GPU etc later on. :wink:

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have a super efficient dual core than a octo core that's efficient, but doesnt get as much battery life as a dual core because it still has more cores. I'd like to be able to go 3 days or something off one battery charge :grin:
There needs to be a breakthrough in battery technology for that to happen. SoC's are just about as efficient as they can get. It's the old battery tech that's holding things back. Just look at what Motorola did with the RAZR MAXX.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Gimmick, we don't need that much power inn our current phones. Plenti of examples where dual core beats quad core already. Smartphones are already over powered and undersupplied with battery life

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, even computers havnt really properly jumped into 8 cores yet. They are available, but a very few things can properly utilize it for it's full strength. Intel's quad-cores are still one of the strongest CPUs out there for your average customer :D

Last edited:

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you complaining about too much power? :eck:
iPhone 5's dual core beats out the gs3's quad core every time in my experience. And it's less power hungry, being only a dual core. So yes, until we see bigger and bader batteries. We don't need more power in our phones. Heck. I don't understand why we would need 4. As per what it needs to be used for. I see no speed gains, the gs3 isimply don't Impress. Although being the only quad core phone I've used. That's my opinion

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Gimmick, we don't need that much power inn our current phones. Plenti of examples where dual core beats quad core already. Smartphones are already over powered and undersupplied with battery life

iPhone 5's dual core beats out the gs3's quad core every time in my experience. And it's less power hungry, being only a dual core. So yes, until we see bigger and bader batteries. We don't need more power in our phones. Heck. I don't understand why we would need 4. As per what it needs to be used for. I see no speed gains, the gs3 isimply don't Impress. Although being the only quad core phone I've used. That's my opinion
Comparing phones on two different OS's isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended). As far as dual core beating quad core, yes the SnapDragon S4 dual core beats many quad core processors, but this was largely because the S4 was base on a Qualcomm proprietary chip architecture, Krait, which has much more in common with the newer ARM-Cortex A15 than the older Cortex A9 that competing quad core chips, such as the Tegra 3 quad core chip, were using. When you compare a dual core S4 vs. a quad core S4, the quad core will preform better if all other things are equal, and when we start seeing Cortex A15 based quad core chips, they will be more in line with the Qualcomm Krait based chips.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So put the current Lumia 920 on a octal core chipset. Will it be noticeably better? Or will the 2000m batteries be killed off much faster? Or both? Will the speed gains be great enough to compensate for the battery drain?

MikeMystery

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So put the current Lumia 920 on a octal core chipset. Will it be noticeably better? Or will the 2000m batteries be killed off much faster? Or both? Will the speed gains be great enough to compensate for the battery drain?

I don't really see speed gains ever being able to compensate for battery drain in a phone.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Android needs all the cores it can get as at its core it seems to be a cheap copy of Vista...
My HTC OneXplus with 4.1.1 is no where near as fluid as my HTC 8X with WP8...
Sure, Android is very capable, but it is SLOW... jerky... not stable.
I had one reboot on my 8X since I have it, before Portico... Android, even with all the latest updates... 1 Reboot a week is the norm.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Doubt it.

You'd need to be doing > 2 things at the same time (not really possible on WP8), or have intensive applications with code written for multiple cores.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Cortex A15 are eating to much energy (they're not to efficient, worse than clover trails chips from intel) and are really warm. Thats why in idle/simple tasks they switch to a7 cores. And its not 8 core chip, but 4 core (becouse we will not use all cores at the same time only 4 a15 or 4 a7).

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Your app will start even before u start it.
:p

GIVE US Air bags with every Octa Core Phone I SAY!!!

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
By September all WP8.5 will use Quad Core Snapdragon 800 SOC Processors!

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/01/07/snapdragon-800-series-and-600-processors-unveiled

So you will see Nokia Lumia 940 & Samsung ATIV S2, etc etc...all with these new Snapdragon 800 processors 9 months from now! Also you will see:
- 2GB RAM
- 64GB on board flash memory
- 5"+ 1080p Displays'
- 3000mAh+ Battery's
- 128GB micoSD Cards
- Wi-Fi ac support

This is all coming 9 month's from now to Windows Phone 8.5 platform. 😎

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member