"Why didn't you get an iPhone?"

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If they had an iPhone since the first one came out, they would understand why alot of us switched, same boring UI, design isn't changing either. I watched the last Apple conference that introduced the iPhone5, never been more disappointed about a phone, and people just buy it because its apple and everyone had one. Kids these days have their parents buy them an iPhone as a first phone and all of a sudden they are super cool. I'm happy with the Lumia 920:) (I do still have my iphone4 for some apps I still use at home).

Iskassasya

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I want to be different, WP8 seems, so pure and clean. I wish we had better apps that is all, the main reason was the awesome Lumia range though.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The question I get is "why do you have so many smartphones"? I have 6 of them currently, with 5 different operating systems. (That number will likely grow to 8 or 9 smartphones by spring; I'm jonesing for a high-end WP8 device, preferably a Nokia, on Verizon, would also really like to buy an iPhone 5, and may get a new HP Pre 3 on the cheap just because I have a soft spot for webOS and would like to get the device that essentially was/is webOS' flagship smartphone.) Most people think I'm crazy. (They'd be right, but it has nothing to do with my smartphone fleet. :grin:)

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get an iPhone because:

1) The interface is boring. It is just rows of static buttons. Android is much more useful and WP useful, organized, fast and stylish.
2) iPhone screen is too small. Nokia Lumia 920's 4.5 inch screen is nice but I would like a Samsung Galaxy Note II even more.
3) The only other Apple product I have ever owned is an iPad 2 and I am giving that to a friend. I don't have an Apple ecosystem.
4) Apple products are too expensive. Compare the price for features of a Nokia Lumia 920 versus and iPhone 5.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the exact same question directed at me not too long ago. I just said I didn't want the iSuck 5 because everyone and their grandmother has one and it is a boring piece of technology that is meant to sell. If I'm spending $700 on something, it better excite me. It's the same logic people use when buying cars "Oh why didn't you get the Honda Civic" as if the Civic is the standard by which everything else should be measured. People like telling others what to do, I just consider it human nature but here's a good one to deal with a 14 year old (motivated by South Park):

Q: Why didn't you get the iPhone?
A: You are breaking my balls man.

They usually don't reply because they don't know what to say. Works like a charm.

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Go into a store and they will try to push you away from Windows Phone, my g/f went into a At&t store with her dad and he asked about the 920 and the salesman immediately said it was crap and to get an iPhone, my g/f who likes my phone said to the salesman that her boyfriend has a 920 and loves it. The sales.an shut up and walked away.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Here's how I would answer...

If you want to be popular like everyone else, get an iPhone or android. ****!!! Even the toilet-cleaning aunties/uncles are owning one of them.
But if you want to be cool & different like Steve Jobs, get a windows phone ;) :) :D

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly where you coming from, 8th graders and college kids apparently have a lot in common.
I got to UCF (University of Central Florida) and ALL my friends have Iphones/Macs/Ipads (and they say they're broke college kids lol), they thought I was going to get one when my mytouch died on me and were sooo excited...*rolls eyes*
When I came back with my windows phone half of them didnt even know a windows phone existed! And instantly didnt like it or cared to even see it... I remember showing it to one of my friends and her looking at it and being like "Wow this is so complicated!" ...had to hold my tongue

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can see the kids will be kids arguement as being one that can't be won. Follow the herd and be another cow or get ousted, oh I miss the culture of high school. I never danced the Apple dance from the days of the IBM 8088 as I didn't like Apples, Macs were too expensive. The iods came on the scene and here we had clever marketing as my irock mp3 player was actually better than the iPod at the time, didn't see the reason to get something inferior and pay more for it at that. The real irony is that I never went iPhone because they lacked copy and paste (I was on WinMo 6.X at the time I believe) and have always used my phone as a PDA first. When WP7 was released I was very shocked to see them follow the same path at release. Going from WM to WP...I hoped over the iPhone, I guess between the past impressions and the iTunes DRM backdrop I just didn't want any added hoops to jump through. I am happy with the WP decision, to each their own. Funny though I know tow couples and the iPhone using spouses always play with their mate's WP devices. I see two new Lumia owners in the making...

therealper

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i am fed up with the same visual os after 4 years. if ios 7 will be different visually and till that time windows 8 cannot solve main problems (buggy notification system, awkward battery problems) i will be switching back to ios

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor
Outstanding Marketing Strategy

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Kids love to play the latest games like Temple Run 2 etc etc. I think it was a bad decision for you to get your sister a Windows Phone, something she will regret later when her friends are playing the latest games or some cool new hip app.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
i am fed up with the same visual os after 4 years. if ios 7 will be different visually and till that time windows 8 cannot solve main problems (buggy notification system, awkward battery problems) i will be switching back to ios

windowsphone8 should be exactly what you want then. You have 1 1/2 years to enjoy it until you're bored with its ui, so keep an eye open for others.

Windows8, whole different ball of wax.

Why I didn't buy an iphone: just too closed
Why I didn't buy a wp7: didn't think it would last or improve
Why I didn't buy a wp8: ditto
Why I didn't buy a dumbphone: maps
Why I did buy a scratched, dented, 1 1/2 year old android: working gps/maps, dual cores, dual cameras, 1080p recording, updates nightly, apps for everything, and no contract needed.

Oh, if/when I destroy the phone with a drop, or water, or whatever, I'll put its sdcard in new phone and never miss a beat.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's how I would answer...

If you want to be popular like everyone else, get an iPhone or android. ****!!! Even the toilet-cleaning aunties/uncles are owning one of them.
But if you want to be cool & different like Steve Jobs, get a windows phone ;) :) :D
What happens if some toilet cleaning aunty gets a Windows Phone? Please keep your preconceived ridiculous notions about jobs to yourself. By your stupid logic it means that Windows Phone ONLY targets a very specific demograph i.e young people and has no use for older people. I wouldn't lead with that if I go around parading my Windows Phone. The best thing about a phone can be that it appeals to EVERYONE, even a toilet cleaning lady.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Kids love to play the latest games like Temple Run 2 etc etc. I think it was a bad decision for you to get your sister a Windows Phone, something she will regret later when her friends are playing the latest games or some cool new hip app.

My sister isn't like that. She's found plenty of fun games and she's fine with going against the crowd, just like I am. She has a Zune HD, she likes good music, and now she has a WP. She really wants a WP8 phone now. I think she'll be just fine.

loukkis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor
I'm curious, how this outstanding marketing strategy helps your daily life?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly where you coming from, 8th graders and college kids apparently have a lot in common.
I got to UCF (University of Central Florida) and ALL my friends have Iphones/Macs/Ipads (and they say they're broke college kids lol), they thought I was going to get one when my mytouch died on me and were sooo excited...*rolls eyes*
When I came back with my windows phone half of them didnt even know a windows phone existed! And instantly didnt like it or cared to even see it... I remember showing it to one of my friends and her looking at it and being like "Wow this is so complicated!" ...had to hold my tongue

Most people at my college have iPhones. In fact, I've never seen a WP in the wild. I look forward to that day. Most of my closest friends have iPhones (6 out of 8, to be exact), but they don't ask me why I got a Windows Phone. Some of them are even at least slightly interested in it.

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor

Please, just leave this site. No one wants you here.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234