"Why didn't you get an iPhone?"

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor
Outstanding Marketing Strategy

BTW, apple maps is your built in maps, not google. You can get google maps though. And decent battery life? Admit that your battery life sucks. Great form factor? It is almost the same as the 4/4S's design. Yes, their marketing strategy is good, especially the guy saying cheese for 20 seconds, since that wasn't annoying at all.

Go away iSheep.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor

Yes it has great apps. So does WP and Android.

Google maps isnt a plus as i have nokia maps.

How is the media integration better? Does it play codecs the WP doesnt?

Battery life is great on my phone, so thats not a plus either.

How is the ecosystem better? My phone interacts with all my devices at home, all social sites, all cloudstorage services i use...?
i dislike the form factor, and i dislike the design, so thats a no in my book.

I can always make a list of things my phone does that the iPhone does NO, alternatively does better:

Wireless charging
Drag/drop movies/etc from Explorer to my phone
Better integration of social sites and media
Gloved use
Higher PPI iirc
Bigger screen
Better visibility in direct sunlight
Office
USB charging, standard charger
Design
Form factor
Etc.

Doesnt prove much, these lists.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
[LOGIC] And we are expecting 8th graders to actually know something about technology and not just want what is popular because???[LOGIC]

When I got my 900, I had had an iPhone for I got on craigslist for about 4 months. I actually liked it. It had two fatal flaws that moved me back to Windows Phone (I've had WP for 3 years other than that 4 month stint). They were the small 3.5" screen and the lack of LTE. Now that both of those have been remedied, I am seriously considering going to iOS for my next phone.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
[LOGIC] And we are expecting 8th graders to actually know something about technology and not just want what is popular because???[LOGIC]

When I got my 900, I had had an iPhone for I got on craigslist for about 4 months. I actually liked it. It had two fatal flaws that moved me back to Windows Phone (I've had WP for 3 years other than that 4 month stint). They were the small 3.5" screen and the lack of LTE. Now that both of those have been remedied, I am seriously considering going to iOS for my next phone.

I fell in love with windows phone when I was in 7th grade. I got a dvp. Then I got a 900. And then I got a yellow 920. I convinced during this whole time 15 people to buy windows phones. I'm in 9th grade. Not all of us are clueless iSheep. But yes, half of my class are. They think apple is the best, and when they look at my gorgeous banana phone, they are disguised by it (the amazing UI, gorgeous design, the feel and form factor, etc). I'm not kidding. It is so sad. If they actually tried to use it without telling themselves to hate it, they would like or love it.

Joshoon

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't got an iPhone because it's not unique, and it's overhyped.
Also the camera of the Lumia 920 attracted me a lot.
And in my opinion the Windows Phone interface looks much nicer and cleaner than iOS.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor

Great apps - you can have that one. Do wish certain apps would come to WP.
Google Maps - Subjective. I had to use Nokia Maps to get home tonight. It fared better than in my friend's eyes my friend's friend using his iPhone's Google Maps (that friend of mine has a Galaxy S2 for the record).
Great Media Ecosystem - Depends on the user. I use Xbox Music Pass, can I make use of that on iPhone? I don't think I can (and no, I don't want Spotify, I want Xbox Music). Nokia Music is also great for my music discovery.
Decent battery life - Can't really comment on this as I have an iPod. Battery life on that has been a par with my Lumia 920 though.
Great Ecosystem - Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Xbox 360, Xbox Music Pass, SkyDrive, Office. That's a bloody great ecosystem too (for the record, I'm posting this off a MacBook Pro).
Great Form Factor - Subjective. I actually find the Lumia's form factor better. I had to use a lass's iPhone 4 to give her my number. It didn't feel right to me. My Lumia feels nicer in my hand.
Outstanding Marketing Strategy - Can definitely give you that one too. If there's one thing Apple nailed, it's marketing. You could ask them to market a turd from the toilet for $5'000'000'000 and people would buy it in the millions.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

IPhone 5:
Great apps
Google Maps
Great Media integration
Decent battery life
Great ecosystem
Great form factor

The iPhone is a decent device, don't get me wrong. But there is NOTHING that makes it "flat out better" than any of the WP8 flagships apart from app selection. I can get 18 hours of HEAVY constant usage out of my Ativ S before it dips into battery saver mode, and with moderate usage I can easily get 2 days. Plus it has NFC and is HSPA 42mbps dl capable as well if you're in an area where LTE isn't up and running yet. (like me) Xbox music gives me unlimited access to over 28 million songs for only $100/year. And while the WP8 app for PC has its issues, iTunes is no picnic either, and Zune blew it out of the water in user experience. In terms of form factor, it's the only option Apple gives you. I wanted the iPhone 4 when is came out until I tried typing on one. It's just too small for me. And in terms of out of the box functionality(before downloading a ton of apps), my HD7 with WP7.5 blew it out of the water, and WP8 is even a few more light years ahead. The iPhone is still what it was in 2007: an app launcher with call & text functionality. A WP is a communication device with the ability to launch apps. I know which one I'd rather have...

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? iPhone has great media ekosystem? I have to say this - how can I get a MP3 file to my Lumia? Connect cable to anything (even my W8 tablet) and transfer. How can I get it on an crapPhone? Start crapTunes, load them, connect phone, sync it, add mp3 to library, add to phone, sync again and disconnect

Now a different story. I have a AVI video file. How to get it on my Lumia? USB, transfer, done. To get it on a iPhone? Spend an hour converting it in a creepy stupid format, then go thourgh that horrible crapTunes misery again and finally get it there.

Is that a sign of a good media phone? I don't think so.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You know, I'm not one to diminish anyone's bad experience just because I've never had them. I've never had any issues with loafing media (specifically music) onto my iPod from iTunes. Maybe its because I don't use the sync feature. I manually manage my music.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? iPhone has great media ekosystem?
Yes. Seriously. For example, I wanted to watch all of the episodes of "Big Bang Theory". I simply turned on my TV, switched to my AppleTV, browsed to iTunes store on it, made a purchase with a few clicks of remote using excellent user-friendly GUI and immediately started watching them. I watched a few episodes on TV using AppleTV, then when I couldn't use my TV - I continued to watch the rest of the episodes on my iPhone and my iPad, which were downloaded seamlessly over WiFi, WITHOUT connecting either my iPad or iPhone to my PC or MacBook Pro. When I was able to use my TV again, I continued watching it there again, using AppleTV. Same goes for all my music and most of my movies (the ones that were not purchased on Blu-Ray disks... b.t.w, some Blu-Ray movie versions include a code in the box which allows you to download a free iTunes copy of this movie for all iOS devices). This is the BEST (most seamless and most convenient) "media ecosystem" I have personally experienced based on my experience with Android, iOS and WP8 phones. You may have different experience with the stolen music and movies you've downloaded at some BitTorrent site, but it's really not a "valid" issue that Apple has to care about ;-) Of course, my example will simply fall on deaf ears and I will definitely be told to "go away" and that I don't "belong to this L33t circle-jerk WP fanbot club" but oh well, hopefully at least some individuals (without fanbot mentality) will be able to see my point ;-)

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Right now IOS is more refined. That would be tough to argue. They've set up incredibly tight integration across devices that works well. Can't deny that.

WP isn't to that level, particularly with its app store, but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't at some point in the not too distant future. The one thing that gets over looked is that this a war of attrition not instant cellular gratification. Of course IOS and android crush WP, in raw numbers they've been around a lot longer.

BUT, MSFT 's arms are long and pockets deep to be able to spend until they start gaining market share. Apples stock has been getting hammered and their market cap has slipped.

By no means does it spell the end, but it does say there is room for another player with the right strategy to make an impact at some point. I think that player will be WP.

Keep in mind the Surface Phone and Nokias next Lumia not too mention whatever HTC has up their sleeves. Devs will get on board slowly but surely.

I think the next iPhone release is more important for apple than the next wave of WP's are for MSFT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo