How come Windows Phone didn't get the popularity BBZ10 is getting?

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing commercials, web commercials, billboards, web banners, news articles, blog posts, etc. etc. about the new Blackberry, yet I never see anything for Windows Phone 8, except maybe a small promo poster at a Rogers store. Just today, news outlets were on site at the Blackberry launch. People are talking about the new Blackberry, but I rarely hear people talk about Windows Phone unless I bring it up. I don't see news outlets attending the Windows Phone events.

With all this popularity Blackberry has, how come Windows (also a popular well-known brand) hasn't been able to grab this much attention? Microsoft and Nokia had an excellent opportunity to dominate while Blackberry was down... and now that they're in the limelight again, I have a feeling it's going to push WP to 4th spot again. Which sucks for such an awesome OS (minus the 8 key missing features WPCentral covered :) ).

What are your thoughts?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
RIM = Canadian, so more Canadian adverts.

MS = American so more American ads.

I have never seen a BB10 commercial other than during the superbowl. I have seen 234,345,743,875 WP commercials.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
RIM = Canadian, so more Canadian adverts.

MS = American so more American ads.

I have never seen a BB10 commercial other than during the superbowl. I have seen 234,345,743,875 WP commercials.

That's not true. Samsung and Apple are not Canadian companies, so that doesn't make a diff. Also, BB10 is making news worldwide, not just Canada.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...wp hasn't gained traction in Canada at all...BB will do well here as they are Canadian but they seem to be fighting a loosing battle in the US and Europe

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? This is not the high school cool lunch table debate, I'm in the NY metro area and trust me wp8 is buzzzn people do notice it.. I've known people in other continents(blkbry) that won't even think twice about switching loyalties just because.. Marketing has a funny way of dividing consumers!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Lots of old BlackBerry users that are excited about getting an upgrade, maybe.

And RIM is no more, just FYI to the person that called them that. It's BlackBerry now.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
That's not true. Samsung and Apple are not Canadian companies, so that doesn't make a diff. Also, BB10 is making news worldwide, not just Canada.
Samsung and Apple have nothing to do with this discussion. Your view of this is skewed since Canadians are nutso over Blackberry, so tons of press and tons of advertising. Here in the US, aside from tech blogs, no one cares about BB10.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Also, the 5 month delay from press announcement in June to availability in November and the 2 month delay from Nokia's Lumia launch announcement to availability didn't help WP8.

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I live in Canada and I see tons of WP8 ads on TV. There is a lot of buzz in the media about BB but that is because BB10 was the last chance to save an iconic company. The buzz will fade very quickly. I checked out the BB10 today, its an OK phone but it has zero wow factor. It probably stands out the least among all the other phones on display. By they way seeing as this was the first day it went on sale in Canada, I was the only person looking at it or asking questions about it in the Rogers store.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
All I know is that if BlackBerry gets Instagram before WP does... I'll be a bit peeved. Not that I care about Instagram, but it would be very symbolic. Apparently BB has created a good system to easily port from Android to BB... that could be a very wise investment for them.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Both platforms have lots of media attention... but I think I've seen more positive remarks in reviews and raves of Blackberry than I have in those of WP8. I dunno why... I've just always assumed that people see "Microsoft" as uncool and have negative predispositions about them and their products.

People can easily look over things or only see one side of things if they happen to have a predisposition (possible example: Pocketnow demonstrated searching for an app on a Z10, but said that WP doesn't have that ability... incorrectly, of course... and concluded that Z10 has a great advantage)

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Man.. Um, truthfully Microsoft is just being way to nice, throwing softballs. They need to convert the iOS kids. They need to push bombastic commercials. Everyone saw that Superbowl commercial, eff that, their "BlackBerry Keep Moving" blew the Superbowl one away! They need to treat this as a mass convert experience, and they need MobileWorldConference to relay all any update details. MWC isn't the mainstream place to do that, Superbowl is, STRIKE!

Point is, they need 8.5 to show that, "There is no reason, I would ever wanna get an iphone, ever again! And that BB10 looks obviously lame compared to 8.5!!!"
(BB10 managed to do that though, vice-versa.) Even though this might not be true, they did it! They've won the masses, Convert the consumers, and attracted the enterprise they need, they did the impossible (marketing, design, development, app-relationships, execution)

I love me Windows Phone, I really do, my next phone I'll get on 8.5 later this year, but "Live Tiles make Windows Phone a better match for Jason" isn't enough. Chrome's "Google Chrome Speed Tests" worked, and I don't even like Chrome, but it sure got attention. "Sony Tablet - Two will (1st episode) - Official Commerciall" works too. I use Internet Explorer because I do like pinning, but "Child of the 90's," just doesn't work that well. They need to win, and marketing is everything. i.e. "Sony Playstation 2 Mountain" "David Lynch's PS2 commercial - Bambi" "Xbox 360 Skydiving Commercial HD"

(I suck so bad, I had a bunch of youtube embeds, I sorry. So this might be confusing.)

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Comparing WP8 to BB10 launch in the UK - WP8 - every newspaper had full page adds for the 8X and lumia 920 running every day for weeks. Billboards in all the stations which are still going four months later with the "meet yours" tagline adds on TV with UK celebs which are still going four months later.
So far for BB10 there was a full page story in most of the papers that commented more on Alicia Keys new role in the company than the new phones. Ive not seen any TV ads or billboards and I have only seen ads for the phones in a few papers. Also note that the phone has been released over here already and I havent noticed one in the wild yet either but i do so a large number of WP8.

Would say after all of that in the UK WP8 is definitely more popular at the moment.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
RIM, Microsoft, Sony, Apple, etc all market hard during product launches. It shouldn't be surprising that RIM is advertising harder for their brand spanking new Z10 phone versus a WP8 phone that has been on the market for 3+ months.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Since this is all they have, it is likely that Blackberry is mounting a full-frontal advertising assault in hopes to stay relevant in today's smartphone market.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Paddy - every time i see your avatar a quick look makes me think it says WestHam United Together Alone - always takes a second look to get the message

It does look like westham united I never notice it until you mention it and starring at it for a good while :wink:

I will be changing it in a while so about a month :winktongue:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Comparing WP8 to BB10 launch in the UK - WP8 - every newspaper had full page adds for the 8X and lumia 920 running every day for weeks. Billboards in all the stations which are still going four months later with the "meet yours" tagline adds on TV with UK celebs which are still going four months later.
So far for BB10 there was a full page story in most of the papers that commented more on Alicia Keys new role in the company than the new phones. Ive not seen any TV ads or billboards and I have only seen ads for the phones in a few papers. Also note that the phone has been released over here already and I havent noticed one in the wild yet either but i do so a large number of WP8.

Would say after all of that in the UK WP8 is definitely more popular at the moment.

I've seen them in the wild. Actually saw one woman buying TWO while I was in Manchester, in the O2 store in Arndale. I'm actually going to try and push people to BB10 or WP8. I love these two OS's. BB10 does look refined tbh, and I like the way that it looks. Of course, the Nokia Lumia 920 has too many goodies itself. But wait... a Nokia Lumia 920, with BB10 AND WP8... Now I'm drooling! That would be my next smartphone purchase right off the bat. BB10 for BBM and the professional side (maybe IG too), WP8 for the games and personal side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720