Military personnel...grab a can of night vision and line up with your BA eleven-hundred novembers

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I was never in the military, but I really like the old style bell bottom dungarees. I see that there are some surplus stores that still sell them (and they're cheap). I might actually buy a pair.

My current winter coat is an official issue peacoat I bought from an Army-Navy store.

I still have my peacoat issued to me in boot camp. Though if I try to put it on I start singing fat man in a little coat like Chris Farley.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Firemen School, Yorktown Virginia and the pistol range

Attachments

• coastguardyork.jpg
    coastguardyork.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fireschool.jpg
    fireschool.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 7
  • fireschool2.jpg
    fireschool2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 7

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's where I spent my last 6 months. Coast Guard Base St.Louis, in the guard shack on the 11pm to 7am shift. They didn't have any where else to place me. We use to go over to the bars in East St. Louis on 10 cent beer night. Ike & Tina Turner were still working the bar scene in East St. Louis back then.

Attachments

• uscgstlouis.jpg
    uscgstlouis.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

newbroot83

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a bloody million on my external hard drive if I get it out ill send all kinds of pics of iraqi lifestyle and homes and such.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

newbroot83

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I was never in the military, but I really like the old style bell bottom dungarees. I see that there are some surplus stores that still sell them (and they're cheap). I might actually buy a pair.

My current winter coat is an official issue peacoat I bought from an Army-Navy store.

Lmao from a navy corpsman...they aren't as cool as you think. They drag in everything. Liked my marine camis much much better

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How'd I miss this thread....
Here's the obligatory boot camp pic... I still have my original dress blues - I only wish I could still fit into them.
Boot Camp Pic.jpg

When I was in Nuclear Power School, in Orlando, we noobs would go out to Port Canaveral on weekends when we were broke, see if we could get a tour of a sub if one was in port, and be able to grab chow at Patrick AFB where the food was better than NTC Orlando. On this trip, the USS Helena (SSN-725) was in port, newly commissioned. While waiting on the pier for permission to come aboard, a guy popped out of the hatch carrying a bag of trash for the dumpster. It was a guy that was my roommate in Nuclear Field A School, who'd rocked out. He was doing his time as a crank while he was striking. Just one of many times in my life that I've been shown how small the world was.

Here's the Helena
Helena Port Canaveral.jpg

Here's a picture of Pier Mike at Charleston Naval Shipyard. This is where my boat parked. I don't know who took this picture or when it was, but I don't recall ever seeing that many boats in port. The USS Frank Cable was our tender most of the time, but I don't know if that is her or not. At one point we had no tender when the Cable went to Holy Loch to relieve the Holland to come back here for refit. One time we had a British boat moored alongside us - that was neat - I still have a small emblem of their dolphins. Not the size you wear on your chest - I think it came off of a belt buckle or something - it's about that size.
Pier Mike.jpg

Here's the Sturgeon (SSN-637), best **** boat on the Cooper River - Battle E three times running, coming under the Cooper River Bridge. This pic I grabbed from the internet a long time ago - not my image.
Sturgeon Cooper River.jpg

And here's what the Cooper River Bridge (it has some different name now) looked when my wife and I went to Charleston in 2010, 20 years after I got out.
Cooper Today.jpg

The only long cruise I ever went on was up to the Arctic. While up there, we had something on the exterior of the boat malfunction, so we needed to put divers in the water. We went to an ice camp. Don't ask me how they made the hole in the water for the boat... I never got out of the boat at that stop, so I only saw this picture later. It was great to get some real eggs, milk, lettuce, tomatoes, and more, though. Everyone was allowed two eggs however they wanted them. SWEET!
Sturgeon Ice Camp.jpg

Later in the patrol, we broke up through the ice. The exposure suits we wore had built-in boots and three-finger gloves. Even with the exposure suits on, we only lasted about 15 minutes out there. It was chilly. I don't recall exactly when this picture was taken, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was early May. If memory serves (and this was in 1989, so it may not), I want to say this picture was taken in the middle of the night. But then again when you live on a submarine, you're operating on an 18 hour day rotation, so who knows... Oh - you can barely see that there is a person up in the bridge. He's got an M-14. The orders were, "If you hear a gunshot, get back in the boat because the M-14 is only going to **** off a polar bear!" Oh - and there were two guys who took off their suits and had their pictures taken in their skivvies. BRRR!!!
Sturgeon Through Ice.jpg
Notice the bent and broken rungs at the top of the sail. We could go through ice up to six feet thick, but apparently the rungs couldn't.

Here is where the Sturgeon (what remains of her) rests today. At the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, WA. She is the only submarine with her sail on display in a parking lot. Never been there, unfortunately - this is another pic grabbed from the 'net.
Sturgeon Sail.jpg

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple pictures from a trip to DC in 2002, at the American History Museum. One of the exhibits was parts of a submarine from my squadron. If I remember right, I'm thinking it was the Ray (SSN-653). The things shown here are very similar to what we had.

Here is the mess decks. We didn't have the flip-up seats on the end of the benches that are shown here. There were three tables like these shown, along the walls, and two more along the aisle. I'm thinking the ones shown on the wall seated four per table, and the ones on the aisle seated six. One of the aisle tables was designated the Chiefs' table.
Mess Decks 1.jpg

Here's a difference. On my boat, our TV was located where you see the coffee and bug juice machines here, and our coffee and bug juice machines were at the opposite end of the mess decks. You're looking forward, if my memory and orientation are correct. On the other side of the wall with the bookshelf would be Doc's office.
Mess Decks 2.jpg

This would be (left to right) the Steam Plant Control Panel, Electric Plant Control Panel, and the Reactor Plant Control Panel, which would be located in Maneuvering, at the forward end of Engine Room Upper Level. I was a Machinist Mate, so I never worked in here. There would be an electrician at the left and center panels, and an electronics technician at the right panel, with the Engineer Officer of the Watch sitting behind the RPCP/RO (Reactor Operator).
Maneuvering.jpg

Here's what the Control Room looked like, but with a lot less light and space.
Conn Dive 1.jpg

Here you see the two periscopes. I don't remember what the bigger one was called, unless it was called main, but the smaller one is the attack periscope. Less equipment sticking up out of the water to see.
Conn Periscope 1.jpg

Unfortunately I can't show you any pics of the interior of my boat. There were no pictures, of course. Much of what you could see in these pictures was classified. So I don't recall ever taking my camera with me when we went out to sea. I do regret not having it when we went to Halifax on the way back from the arctic, and when we went to Fort Lauderdale after a long refit, but really that was before my photography days. I had picked up a Minolta X-570, but I never put much time into learning how to use it correctly until after I got out, and I've been a Canon shooter since the first EOS Elan. :wink:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb