PS4 SPEC LIST and Discussion

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Point 1 + 2 - In essence brings consoles up to PC standards, so they should now have similar graphics and performance
Point 3 - This will surely need for the device to be on standby when turned off (unless there's a battery inside), so basically it will be sapping power all the time
Point 4 - This sounds like a good feature, but as it's being streamed to the device, but it won't work if you have slow or unreliable broadband
Point 5 - Multitasking... :eek: (In essence this will be tomb stoning surely like on WP)
Point 6 - A new graphics engine. A similar one will be on the new Xbox I'm sure.
Point 7 - PSN's social integration sucks now. I don't want to be posting every trophy I get to Facebook, and frankly the Achievement system in Xbox is so much better anyway.
Point 8 - A new platform has a new game... :eek:
Point 9 - It could be worse... Like entirely in the cloud...
Point 10 - It has a social button. A la HTC ChaCha

Face it, it's an average update to a failing console at the moment.

Last edited:

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but the current consoles already need power from somewhere all the time too.

Hence my OP "Point 3 - This will surely need for the device to be on standby when turned off (unless there's a battery inside), so basically it will be sapping power all the time"

With a current device, once it's off, you can unplug it. With this, if you try to do that and it's downloading updates ect. you might brick the console.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It is now officially finished overall very impressed looking forward more too the date which said COMING ON HOLIDAY 2013 maybe a summer release hmmmmm. :smile:

What your thoughts, opinion, views. :smile:

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Interesting features and specs for sure. My whole problem is that it has always been like this with Sony. Bring the best specs and most powerful system, while developers are left struggling how to develop for it. Not to mention the whole PSN store fiasco that's happened a couple of times and it makes me somewhat reticent to just jump right into a new ecosystem when I'm already so tied to Xbox Live.

The remote play with Vita if done properly and with better range than the Wii U, would be killer.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My whole problem is that it has always been like this with Sony. Bring the best specs and most powerful system, while developers are left struggling how to develop for it.

From an interesting article comparing the rumors of the two consoles:
With regards the next-generation PlayStation, developers are highly unlikely to have the same kind of issues with the toolchain that they had with PS3. Having acquired SN Systems back in 2005, principally to improve the development environment for their consoles, we’re told that the quality of the tools has increased exponentially to the point where one highly experienced game-maker we spoke to rates the PlayStation Vita tools as the most impressive he’s used.
Spec analysis: Durango vs. Orbis • Articles • Eurogamer.net

The rumors discussed in the article were mostly right, except the article was based on 4GB of RAM in the PS4.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got a kick out of the points you were making...and probably the BIGGEST change (the controller) you are just all...hmmmmm....about.

But:
5. New game being created KRACK
6. HDD storage

One game and a HDD? That is what gets you going? haha The PS3 has lots of games and a HDD already.

I love the idea of the remote play with the Vita. Hopefully that will push MS to get something similar.

The PC specs are just all talk. As others have said, the PS3 has better specs currently and it doesn't blow away the 360 because the Devs can't ever fully use it. The "Created by Devs, for Devs"...if it is true, will be the bigger 'spec'.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Excellent news!

Now I can buy the PS3 dirt cheap, have a Blu-Ray player (haven't got one yet) and play Diablo 3. All for probably sub ?100-?150... hehe

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to say i was completely underwhelmed by the announcement. Being a long time XBox player i was hoping for more but it just wasn't there. Even the gaming footage wasn't great... Sure it looked nice but its only a tech demo...

At this point a cheap ps3 is far more appealing as I've not played a single ps3 game so have a massive back catalog waiting when i get bored of my xbox.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Sony. Back in the time I bought a Sony Camera and it wasn't really compatible to my computer (no standard USB port, no driver on Windows XP) and had this crappy special memory card (Canon had a standard memory card, a standard USB port, and standard drivers...). Later I bought a Sony laptop, it had a slot for this crappy special memory card, but no SD slot. This was the moment I decided to never buy Sony products again. And I think they have a rich history of trying to push their own stupid formats anyway.

Still, I'm interested in Sony's gaming products of course, because they are a main player. So I got up this morning to read all about the Playstation 4 presentation... and first I thought I wouldn't even find a real article. There were some hardware specs, something about cross platform chatting, Diablo 3 and Final Fantasy, and that's about it. As I see it, there was no product presentation, there was a data sheet being read aloud.

At least the PS Vita impressed me at the presentation, even though it later became clear it isn't that impressing after all.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not impressed either.

1.Showing the console might have helped. I understand the notion that they didnt want to show the hardware for fear of competion copying designs but please when has any console MS has pushed out even remotely resembled something from Pony - sorry Sony.

2.Continuing downloads when console is off - xbox360 already does that.

3.The specs and games at launch are never that impressive. An improvement on current, yes, mindblowing, no. If you think about it the 360 and ps3 were released almost 10 years ago and without any doubt battlefield3 and halo4 produced some of the best graphics ever seen and its taken 10 years to push the current gen consoles to the maximum.

4. No real details on the eyetoy expansion or the wands with glowing table tennis balls on the end. With MS ramping up the power of kinect you would think Sony would show off something slightly more impressive than a touchpad on a controller and camera technology that matches the current kinect. What the xbox360 with kinect has already blows most of the PS4 stuff out the water and its only going to get better with the next generation. Xbox already has voice control, facial recognition, full body capture for two players. For those of you that dont have a kinect or are on PS3 theres not alot cooler than playing Skyrim with the voice commands active and actually shouting your spells to see them flick from your hands or playing Halo CE and shouting reload and grenade and watching master chief flick another mag in the rifle or hurl a frag at some grunts. Even turning the machine on having it recognise your face and log you into your profile still amazes me from time to time and thats this generation.

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
3.The specs and games at launch are never that impressive. An improvement on current, yes, mindblowing, no. If you think about it the 360 and ps3 were released almost 10 years ago and without any doubt battlefield3 and halo4 produced some of the best graphics ever seen and its taken 10 years to push the current gen consoles to the maximum.

Sorry, but I find it incredibly ignorant when people say this. You can't just use the word "almost" to say any time frame you make up is accurate... So no...The Xbox 360 was released just over 7 years ago.

The Xbox was released almost 10 years ago. would be a CLOSER to true statement since at least it was released 11 years ago.

So, if you want to say the 360 was released almost 10 years ago...then you have to say the Xbox and Xbox 360 were almost released at the same time.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got a kick out of the points you were making...and probably the BIGGEST change (the controller) you are just all...hmmmmm....about.

But:
5. New game being created KRACK
6. HDD storage

One game and a HDD? That is what gets you going? haha The PS3 has lots of games and a HDD already.

I love the idea of the remote play with the Vita. Hopefully that will push MS to get something similar.

The PC specs are just all talk. As others have said, the PS3 has better specs currently and it doesn't blow away the 360 because the Devs can't ever fully use it. The "Created by Devs, for Devs"...if it is true, will be the bigger 'spec'.

I was just quickly putting down the spec and by mistake put the game in specs :grincry: the HDD is still a spec so just added it on to the list not amazing like an SSD unless that just an early prototype and final spec will be released with an SSD or what apple do with there imac with fusion drive section that SSD and the other HDD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786