What could cause androids downfall?

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
1) An absolute bloody tear away from Android, from Samsung
or 2) Google trying to support OEMs', while trying to directly compete against competitors
or 3) People's frustration with Google's cocky attitude, while a competitor manages to step it up against Google's amount of effort in R&D

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
What a deal - my friends are chomping at the bit to be able to watch me livestream my awesome life of staring at a computer screen, walking my dogs and occasionally making coffee. The future is now!
Or POV pr0n. At least... That's what I've heard. Not doing it. At all. Ever.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
It's just time. People were sooo on Symbian back in the days. Nowadays, it's all Android and iOS. In the future? We could see Windows Phone to conquer it and then we may see Android's fate going like Symbian. Time will tell but for now, seems to be nothing is taking down Android.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Android will never go down, neither will apple. They both will always be up there, no matter what.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What could cause androids downfall?

The erosion of Google as a search company.

Sounds insurmountable, akin to stopping businesses from buying Microsoft Office. But it's possible. A company (most likely Microsoft) has to keep chipping away at Google's ad revenue. That means chipping away at online search, Gmail, Google Docs, anything and everything that Google relies on for ad money. We're talking about huge corporations here and some very (very) deep pockets. Google isn't going to go quietly in the night. They're going to continue to innovate, update, and support Android until their bank account is dry. That's not going to happen any time soon.

Say you asked someone this, how many years will it take before Microsoft drops below 50% of the home PC market? Would you laugh if they said two years? Three years? That’s a lot of faith to have in the Chrome Pixie.

Android is the Windows of mobile. Barring any catastrophes, Google’s mobile dominance is going to last for a while. People still have it in their heads that another OS will magically unseat the king. I’m telling you, it’s not happening in two years, or three, maybe not even four. This isn’t college hoops. The number one team doesn’t change on a weekly basis. It’s a long, hard road to knock down the champ.

Compare other markets and you see that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Look at how long it took before anyone could challenge the Playstation, the NES, BlackBerry, Windows 95, AOL, Kodak; even how long it took Google to become Google!

You guys better bunker down. It’s gonna be a long fight. :grin:

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It would have to be pretty cataclysmic - say, privacy so compromised it would start to ruin lives.

that's already been happening. Google is stronger than ever despite it. Most googlers have a "won't happen to me" attitude and refuse to protect themselves.

I honestly don't understand the hold Google seems to be getting over some people.

Jonny8X

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
One word, time. Microsoft just needs that one big break, be it software, or hardware, that links all their pieces together.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
A neutral party needs to launch an effective awareness campaign in order to educate the average consumer about Google, it's business practices, and why it is able to offer free services and profit from it. Too many people do not realize or care about Google tracking your online Google Account identity.

The other challenge to overcome is that Google has long been synonomous with online search and maps. It's the defacto search engine and map service and most people do not realize that there are alternatives that are just as good if not better. I recently switched to using Bing and I really like it. I've also found that Bing Maps / Here Maps loads and operates much faster and smoother on my computer than Google Maps while also taking up less memory in the browser than Google Maps.

With Outlook mail, I've jumped back to using my hotmail account after the last 5 years of neglect. I never did like that Google is scanning the content of everything in my Gmail account.

In terms of Android, it's the driving force behind the "core wars" due to its increasing need for more ram and processing power. Competiting mobile operating systems need to effectively communicate the advantages of their better optimized operating systems which offer equal or better performance with better battery life. That's a tough challenge to conquer, because even here in the WP community, many of us are guilty of crying out for quad core 2GB of ram 1080p WP8 devices (myself included) because of the Android hardware offerings.

Most people always want the newest / latest / greatest in mobile tech. Android will continue to be dominant as long as the OEM's are happy to use it and shove it down the throats of the general public instead of taking a risk to really push another OS.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe there are many reasons that could cause Android to fall:

1) Firefox. If Firefox takes off, you'll see a drop in Google phones. Both OS are too similar, so it would come down to which browser you prefer.

2) Pricing. Right now, Android phones vary from free to excessive in pricing. Part of this enables Android to be #1, but most of those phones are inferior to the competition because of outdated versions of the OS that never receive updates. Plus, the cheaper phones' specs (that overpopulate the marketshare) are considerably weaker. If other OS's can begin competing financially, then there could be a drop in Android's marketshare.

3) Word of Mouth. Eventually, consumers using other OS could begin recommending their OS to Android users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa