Will you jump ship?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If Apple successfully proves they hold a patent on the "smartphone" tomorrow, and successfully lobbies for the immediate destruction of all competing devices, including those already sold, I will go back to a feature phone.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A lot of it depends on the next 3 to 6 months. I imagine we will have some sort of update with in that time frame. It will depend heavily on what is provided with the update. There is a lot that needs to be done with this OS and we may be able to gauge the direction and commitment of MS based on the next update.

I probably wont ever go to Apple, but I could end up back with Android. Id rather not, Id rather MS get their crap together and improve the OS. But I wont wait much longer. This year will be key for me.

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
In a couple of years, when win8 is the dominant desktop platform, wp8.xx is going to feel very natural to most users. This is when we will see market share increase dramatically.
Devs will start making win8 apps and Blue will make it easy to scale down to wp8, which will erase the "app gap.". Microsoft is in this for the long haul. Android showed how quickly a platform can take over, and once Microsoft fully developes the mobile to desktop integration that win8 provides, people will be at a disadvantage if they don't have a wp8 device.
Google sees this, and that is why they made their fancy new chromebook. They need a desktop presence to keep up with Microsoft's grand scheme.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, I've spewed enough iOS hate on Facebook that I'd be mocked endlessly if I ever went back to an iDevice. Burned that bridge down completely and stomped the ashes into the ground. Fortunately for me, I don't see Apple changing in any significant way that would make me want to go back or change my opinion of iOS, so I guess I'm safe for now. I've got another year and a change on my 920, and I'm still really liking it, so if that keeps up, I don't see any reason I won't get the next version of it in 2014 when they have some 3 gigapixel f/0 camera in it that takes perfect pictures even with your finger over the lens.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I won't jump 'ship', but I still will get the new iPhone, every year!

I get all the good stuff.

@Coreldan ... keep in mind, Apple is the reason every one is charging $200 or less for a premium smartphone. I remember paying an arm and a leg for the Nokia 6682, which was said to be a smartphone, because it had email and PIM functionality.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 will sit in my drawer until Microsoft can give me gapless playback. This is 2013. Didn't the iPod in 2006 support gapless playback?

anon(515154)

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if they upgraded the UI and even so I'm not sure.
After WP I'm thinking of trying out android for the first time so iOS is the last in my list lol

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
In a couple of years, when win8 is the dominant desktop platform, wp8.xx is going to feel very natural to most users. This is when we will see market share increase dramatically.
Devs will start making win8 apps and Blue will make it easy to scale down to wp8, which will erase the "app gap.". Microsoft is in this for the long haul. Android showed how quickly a platform can take over, and once Microsoft fully developes the mobile to desktop integration that win8 provides, people will be at a disadvantage if they don't have a wp8 device.
Google sees this, and that is why they made their fancy new chromebook. They need a desktop presence to keep up with Microsoft's grand scheme.
Microsoft has best ecosystem but they need to leverage their ecosystem more. They have Windows 8, Xbox, and Office/Exchange. WP8 should be the best OS for business.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
If I jumped ship it would not be to Apple. The only thing that I like about the iPhone is they have a vast selection of high quality apps. Android phones have things I like such as removable batteries, large screens, expandable memory, kickstands, etc.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 will sit in my drawer until Microsoft can give me gapless playback. This is 2013. Didn't the iPod in 2006 support gapless playback?

Phonographs supported gapless playback since around 1916 - what took Apple five entire generations of the iPod to support it? The answer is that you and I want gapless playback for our DJ sets and 1970s art rock concept albums, but Joe or Jane Consumer just wants to hear one track from Taylor Swift, and then one from Bieber, and then maybe one from that band from last year that they can't really remember the name but it goes "dah dah dah dah dahhhhhh, baby baby baby". It's a B-list feature at best, so it's going to be some time before they implement it. Right now it's more important to put the resources toward making sure the music player doesn't cause a kernel panic when you back out of it too fast after starting a track or other things that will kill the experience for everyone.

Ronald Brown

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
After 2 years on Android with a phone that never got updates unless I used xda-developers to help out I will not jump ship. The longer I use WP the more I like it. It was a lot easier to integrate with the office then Android ever was.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
..if the iPhone 6 or whatever will have a 5 inch screen?

No, I've been playing a lot with phones lately and have realized that my tolerance level for bulk in the front pocket of my jeans maxes about around 4.3". I would have no qualms about buying an iPhone 5 at 4" as it is already. The one and only thing I dislike about it is that the UI and multitasking need a freshen up. All insider signs so far point to that coming not far off and will very likely be available to the iPhone 5.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually, that's completely wrong...

Windows Phone is growing at 150%, while Android is at 70% and iOS at 20%. If anything, Apple has lost significant momentum.

You must not read WPCentral often...

IDC reports a 150% YoY change for Windows Phone but is it enough? | Windows Phone Central

Anyone who thinks a company this huge is going to just sit at the sidelines and watch the world go by without having something up its sleeve... well... ;)

Not many people seem to be aware that Apple is VERY much aware that people are asking for a UI improvement. Apple has not so quietly been hiring some prominent UI designers very recently so it doesn't take a fortune teller to know a new and improved iOS UI is already being worked on... so when people's most popular beef about iPhones gets fixed, on a device that currently sits at #1 already... guess what's going to happen. I imagine there's going to be a lot of grinning iPhone 5 owners saying "whatcha got to say now?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss