Will you jump ship?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, that's completely wrong...

Windows Phone is growing at 150%, while Android is at 70% and iOS at 20%. If anything, Apple has lost significant momentum.

You must not read WPCentral often...

IDC reports a 150% YoY change for Windows Phone but is it enough? | Windows Phone Central

The point is Apple is selling 40-50 million iPhones per quarter and have sold over 200 million worldwide since 2007. Nokia has a long way to go to equal what Apple has done.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well only if iPhone has WP OS... otherwise I have no interesting in it. The only phone that will make me to jump from Nokia 920 is the next high end Nokia phone.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The point is Apple is selling 40-50 million iPhones per quarter and have sold over 200 million worldwide since 2007. Nokia has a long way to go to equal what Apple has done.

I get your point and you are correct, but if you want to go back Nokia has probably sold a lot more devices than apple has.

But your point is totally valid. At this point Nokia is not even in the same ballpark as Apple.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Common question and a fence sitters standard refrain based on doubt and envy. I have the 920 and I'm good with it and its growth. I'm one that would rather have the app done right or not at all. I've seen a lot of apps that were dropped before they were ready.

I've had at least one WP app I know cause my 900 to do unusual things until it was uninstalled and restarted. So I feel it better to wait. I'm a tech junkie and granted, there are some news reader apps I think would be great on my 920. Such as Feedly and even Currents. We don't have those yet but we have other cool reader apps like Weave, Metrofeed, Newser, Nextgen and WPCentral app (shameless plug for my boys). So I don't miss any news.

The apps I want or alternatives, will come. They always come. It is how a developers DNA functions. They see a need and opportunity to make a buck and fill it. MS need only do its part and create the canvas or environment for which this development can happen and when they do that, the app stores flourish. Long story short, I have no plans to jump ship.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
No, I admire simple design of Windows Phone too much. I sometimes just turn on the phone and scroll up and down when I'm bored because I like it so much.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any reason I won't get the next version of it in 2014 when they have some 3 gigapixel f/0 camera in it that takes perfect pictures even with your finger over the lens.
You do realize you can't divide anything by zero. (Haha.)
So, I've seen rumors that the iPhone 5S wil have a 12MP camera. Haha, next please. They still can't beat my N8.

Plus, I'd also be mocked if I went back to an iPhone as my daily driver. Even my 5800 was more useful than this!

fiveodano

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Not moving, I have 2 desktops, a laptop, a tablet and a Phone all running Windows 8 and all running the latest version of Office, the application I use most (mostly OneNote nowadays).
With SkyDrive I have all my documents with me and up to date. This is what I have always wanted, not going to switch.

I bought a cheap tablet, Asus VivoTab Smart, I really like it but I will probably upgrade that before the end of the year. It was more of a place holder till the next generation tablets with Haswell processors come available. I would like something that has a better handwriting experience, more processor power with better battery life than the current tablets running Core or Atom processors. I'm thinking Surface Pro 2?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You do realize you can't divide anything by zero. (Haha.)

Yeah, I know ;) - technically if an f/0 were even possible to make, nothing would ever be in focus... you know, like a Blackberry camera (bazinga!).

So, I've seen rumors that the iPhone 5S wil have a 12MP camera. Haha, next please. They still can't beat my N8.

Hopefully 4 of the megapixels in the 5S will be a buffer so it can automatically crop in to remove most of the purple lens flare.

The N8 really does take excellent pics. Nokia is the only company that really concentrates on the aesthetic aspect of mobile photography - everyone else is just specwhoring when it comes to the camera.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
just a comment. I have an iphone. I like my iphone so it wouldn't be "jumping ship" but Honestly, a large screen is a negative for me. I don't want it. Portability is a big deal to me. Anything 4 inches to me is pushing it. I 100% would not upgrade iphone 4s if it went to 4.5 - 5 inches. it's already bulky in my pocket now especially with a case on it which is a must considering how fragile the glass is. I know some people like the note or stuff like that. I've checked them out. I've tried larger phones. it's not for me.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Even though I'm not one hundred percent satisfied with WP8 I'd rather buy an android phone than an iPhone any day.

Where I come from they're simply too overpriced and not worth the money. As simple as that.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just bought and started using a red Nokia Lumia 920 to replace my Samsung Focus. In the meantime, I also got my sister a Green Nokia Lumia 620. So, no, I don't see me jumping ship anytime soon, from Nokia nor Windows Phone.

Oh and I paid $700+ for it, which would have been the same for a 16 GB iPhone 5. I believe mine was the better choice.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel compelled to change from Windows Phone. I really like the clean interface, which is one of the main reasons I got a WP, as well as the fluidity and the beautiful hardware that's available. I'm mostly satisfied with my experience of this OS and my Lumia 800

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the 920. My employer just gave me an Android phone for work use. The phone itself isn't great, its a 4G Razor, but I'm reminded again of the good things bout Android.
Apps, choice, options.
I dont expect everything is open chaos from WP but it'd be nice to have more choices and options as far as certain features/apps.

I can save and open just about any file on Android. I cam download and save files from a browser and email. Many different choices of keyboards to find what works best for me. Excellent full featured browsers like Dolphin, my favorite. Doc and spreadsheet app that actually works well, maybe even better than WP's office. And tons of app choices that I may never get on WP.

So yes, I will seriously consider leaving WP this year if MS doesn't improve WP at a faster rate. Knock Android all you want but there's next to nothing you can't do with the phone. And if your complaint is its too open, that is a weak argument.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I won't jump 'ship', but I still will get the new iPhone, every year!

I get all the good stuff.

@Coreldan ... keep in mind, Apple is the reason every one is charging $200 or less for a premium smartphone. I remember paying an arm and a leg for the Nokia 6682, which was said to be a smartphone, because it had email and PIM functionality.

Only if you expect what applies for your market applies for mine :p

In Finland most phones are still paid for upfront. Around here buying a 800$ phone for 200$ isn't even possible here. There are similar kind of contracts, but you'd maybe get a 100€ off for a 2 year contract at best. However you have to realize the ridicilous pricing US carriers have. On a contract I'd probably pay 15€ for what you'd most likely pay 100$ for a month. Compared to most of Europe, US customers get totally ripped when you look at what the "200$ phone" will cost you over 2 years.

Just cos you dont pay for it upfront doesn't mean you dont pay the leg and arm for it, that said I believe you dont really win anything by paying upfront either, cos the carriers still rip you off regardless.

Also I don't this it's a legit comparison to say what you paid 2005 for a Nokia and compare it to what Apple has managed to do with the phone industry in 2013, back in 2005 when Apple's finest piece of tech was an MP3 player :D I'm pretty sure you can have Nokia's current high end models for that "less than 200$" too, but I realize you didn't claim otherwise either. My gripe with the Apple pricing is that around here where just about everyone pays upfront, the newest iPhone costs nearly 200€ more than the newest Lumia. Especially when I think that 920 is miles ahead in hardware, so the 200 € really only goes to the apps of the iPhone :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos