What is the purpose of life or your life?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's what they all say until they're truly faced with there own mortality. There are NO atheist laying on their deathbed.

Look at how many different religions there are around the world. Is one right? and the rest wrong?

You should read Chariot Of The Gods or watch Ancient Aliens on the History channel. There are a lot of people who believe Gods were actual Aliens and they have a lot evidence to make it look plausible. Mormons believe they go to planet kolab when they die. How did they get that idea?

You really don't understand Atheists. It not like they don't believe in anything. They believe in science. They have faith, but their faith is in science. Everything they believe in can be scientifically proven.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
uh oh i sense potential trouble on the horizon

my "abandon thread" GIFs stand at the ready!

Last edited:

lumia8

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Each of us is a special agent having unique configuration of talents, sent from beyond for a special mission. Many of us, if not all, are having amnesia now doing a hundred other things, but neglected the thing for which we were sent.

I'm 40.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
24, and not particularly happy at my day job no. I've tried to change it up a bit but keep getting bogged down in stuff which is in no way creative or even slightly interesting. So I continue to develop my own projects outside of my work hours (like the wpcentral app) and that has brought me more happiness and good fortune than I ever expected.
I don't think there is a purpose in life other than to make the best of what you have. I have some good friends that surround me and a girlfriend who makes me want to be the best person I can be, I just need to continue to develop my app work so that one day I can realise my dream of starting my own Windows Phone / Windows 8 app consultancy.

One of my lecturers once told me that there were pillars to life: Personal, Social, Romantic, Economic, Labour and Community. I'd like to give more back to the community and I try to by doing the podcasts (for free) and being as helpful as I can to those who ask for my assistance, but I think if you feel you're not happy in one area of your life, just focus on that one for a few months and see what kind of change you can bring about :)

By the way, I'd recommend the Zen and Tech podcast that Mobile Nations puts out, Georgia from iMore gives some great tips and advice (she's a therapist) on that podcast.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Each of us is a special agent having unique configuration of talents, sent from beyond for a special mission. Many of us, if not all, are having amnesia now doing a hundred other things, but neglected the thing for which we were sent.

I'm 40.

What? Care to put that in proper language?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
24, and not particularly happy at my day job no. I've tried to change it up a bit but keep getting bogged down in stuff which is in no way creative or even slightly interesting. So I continue to develop my own projects outside of my work hours (like the wpcentral app) and that has brought me more happiness and good fortune than I ever expected.
I don't think there is a purpose in life other than to make the best of what you have. I have some good friends that surround me and a girlfriend who makes me want to be the best person I can be, I just need to continue to develop my app work so that one day I can realise my dream of starting my own Windows Phone / Windows 8 app consultancy.

One of my lecturers once told me that there were pillars to life: Personal, Social, Romantic, Economic, Labour and Community. I'd like to give more back to the community and I try to by doing the podcasts (for free) and being as helpful as I can to those who ask for my assistance, but I think if you feel you're not happy in one area of your life, just focus on that one for a few months and see what kind of change you can bring about :)

By the way, I'd recommend the Zen and Tech podcast that Mobile Nations puts out, Georgia from iMore gives some great tips and advice (she's a therapist) on that podcast.

If there is one thing I would love to do is to learn to build an app properly. Unfortunately time is never on my side and I also find programming a bit confusing though I understand the concepts.

If you're looking for an app idea, a coffee app would be nice with maybe a social aspect? I have an idea if you're interested and I'm happy to pass it on to you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
haha, unfortunately I never got science.

That's unfortunate. I think science is far more important than we actually give it credit for and has by far the biggest impact on our planet and our lives. Even if you don't 'get' science I would ask you to at least understand why it's important. Either read a book or watch some programs.

I have never been a lover of politics and I find the current political scene dreadful. It seems a lot more self centered and based on what the politician can get out their position rather than helping others or achieving a better society. I don't see politics as a way to make any change in the world. Yes there are politicians who do good work but unfortunately I think they are a minority.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
That's unfortunate. I think science is far more important than we actually give it credit for and has by far the biggest impact on our planet and our lives. Even if you don't 'get' science I would ask you to at least understand why it's important. Either read a book or watch some programs.

I have never been a lover of politics and I find the current political scene dreadful. It seems a lot more self centered and based on what the politician can get out their position rather than helping others or achieving a better society. I don't see politics as a way to make any change in the world. Yes there are politicians who do good work but unfortunately I think they are a minority.

Oh, well I don't underestimate the importance of science, I've just never been very good at it, chemistry particularly.

What country are you in? I'm in Australia so I could never really identify with either side in America. Though in Australia we have slogans and campaigning and such which is unfortunate, I can at least agree with some policy and ideology. Its easy to see why people become apathetic towards politics but it can really change the direction of a country and the lives of millions of people.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh, well I don't underestimate the importance of science, I've just never been very good at it, chemistry particularly.

What country are you in? I'm in Australia so I could never really identify with either side in America. Though in Australia we have slogans and campaigning and such which is unfortunate, I can at least agree with some policy and ideology. Its easy to see why people become apathetic towards politics but it can really change the direction of a country and the lives of millions of people.

I'm currently living in my fourth country, the UK, I'm originally from Canada, but have Australian citizenship (spent 7.5 years there) and lived one year in Finland.

Australian politics is horrible in my opinion. There many years that was controlled by the Liberals basically turned the whole country into the most expensive place in the world to live, turned education, housing and medical into a money making machine on par with that of the US. Labor is no longer a 'left' party but a center left and the Greens have become the 'left' party and basically Liberals are heading further right. None of which is a good thing.

Yes politics can change the course of a country (for good and bad) but with the short term thinking that exists in the populace and an amnesia for the past for any party to make any significant difference it has to be in power long term. That's why I see politics as pointless in the current economic environment. It's not fully the politicians fault. That being said, politicians don't exactly show themselves to be anything other than what I've stated, which is self serving.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently living in my fourth country, the UK, I'm originally from Canada, but have Australian citizenship (spent 7.5 years there) and lived one year in Finland.

Australian politics is horrible in my opinion. There many years that was controlled by the Liberals basically turned the whole country into the most expensive place in the world to live, turned education, housing and medical into a money making machine on par with that of the US. Labor is no longer a 'left' party but a center left and the Greens have become the 'left' party and basically Liberals are heading further right. None of which is a good thing.

Yes politics can change the course of a country (for good and bad) but with the short term thinking that exists in the populace and an amnesia for the past for any party to make any significant difference it has to be in power long term. That's why I see politics as pointless in the current economic environment. It's not fully the politicians fault. That being said, politicians don't exactly show themselves to be anything other than what I've stated, which is self serving.

Well its true that Australia is an expensive place to live, although I'm not sure what the liberals have done to cause that, indeed I believe that's always been the case. Its certainly true now that Labor isn't really very left anymore, and, as a Liberal I find it a bit annoying that the conservatives are leading the party at the moment, would much rather a moderate like Malcolm Turnbull instead. Its also regrettable that the political debate is so toxic at the moment, perhaps the result of the hung parliament. I suppose there will always be some leval of self interest in politics, perhaps increasing the terms would encourage parties to take longer term visions instead of simply buying votes for upcoming elections.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe that the majority of the users on this forum are older than me ( 22 years of age ).

I have a few questions for you. You dont have to be exact about your personal information.

How old are you?
Are you happy?
Are you bored of your everyday grind?
What have you found to be the purpose of life?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

In a sense...yes. Would like to achieve more

YES. But school makes it better

Purpose in life right now seems to be getting my life where I want it. Trying to finish this paralegal degree. I am a nice person and I like making people happy, but I am tired of working in a restaurant. I'm tired of customers upset because their eggs weren't right. I'm tired of delegating to my employees that if they want to earn their paycheck, they need to do their jobs. Tired of working so hard for so little. Now, I want to start my career

Sent from my Lum...iPh...Gala...some phone

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well its true that Australia is an expensive place to live, although I'm not sure what the liberals have done to cause that, indeed I believe that's always been the case. Its certainly true now that Labor isn't really very left anymore, and, as a Liberal I find it a bit annoying that the conservatives are leading the party at the moment, would much rather a moderate like Malcolm Turnbull instead. Its also regrettable that the political debate is so toxic at the moment, perhaps the result of the hung parliament. I suppose there will always be some leval of self interest in politics, perhaps increasing the terms would encourage parties to take longer term visions instead of simply buying votes for upcoming elections.

Well I can't say much as I'm not fully Australian and the only information I have is via my partner. My partner would be able to explain things better but if you are already more right leaning already then you might consider the changes good. I'm left leaning, quite a bit left that is compared to what 'left' parties are these days. I see nothing wrong with some level of conservatism but I find the way things are politically in general, in the world, the conservative branch does not speak to me on any level at all.

I haven't kept up to date too much with Australian politics recently though what little bits I get it appears probably worse than what I remember. An increase in terms is not a bad idea as I think it would add some stability and might actually make people think before voting. A lot of people, even in Australia where you're basically forced to vote (not very democratic btw) they still don't think about who they vote for. 99% you hear someone say "I like/dislike them" without any consideration to the party ethos. People vote for people, not ideologies unfortunately.

All that being said I still believe there's little politicians do that make this world a better place and I think in Australia with the three tier political system it's a lot money spent on achieving very little. Well I should fix that, most political systems are about wasting a lot of money without doing much. There are very few that I've seen where the amount of taxes actually justify the end result.

Keep in mind this is my opinion. I'm not trying to talk you out of politics, I'm just giving you an opinion based on my experience of over 40+ years. Things have gone downhill in politics for the last 4 decades and unfortunately I don't see a turn around any time soon.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I can't say much as I'm not fully Australian and the only information I have is via my partner. My partner would be able to explain things better but if you are already more right leaning already then you might consider the changes good. I'm left leaning, quite a bit left that is compared to what 'left' parties are these days. I see nothing wrong with some level of conservatism but I find the way things are politically in general, in the world, the conservative branch does not speak to me on any level at all.

I haven't kept up to date too much with Australian politics recently though what little bits I get it appears probably worse than what I remember. An increase in terms is not a bad idea as I think it would add some stability and might actually make people think before voting. A lot of people, even in Australia where you're basically forced to vote (not very democratic btw) they still don't think about who they vote for. 99% you hear someone say "I like/dislike them" without any consideration to the party ethos. People vote for people, not ideologies unfortunately.

All that being said I still believe there's little politicians do that make this world a better place and I think in Australia with the three tier political system it's a lot money spent on achieving very little. Well I should fix that, most political systems are about wasting a lot of money without doing much. There are very few that I've seen where the amount of taxes actually justify the end result.

Keep in mind this is my opinion. I'm not trying to talk you out of politics, I'm just giving you an opinion based on my experience of over 40+ years. Things have gone downhill in politics for the last 4 decades and unfortunately I don't see a turn around any time soon.

I actually agree with most of what you're saying. Its true I would consider alot of the changes under the Howard government good, not because I'm a conservative, I don't consider myself one, but because we had a few good achievements (banning guns, the GST, and budget surpluses). I think some of the middle class welfare, lack of action on the environment and gay rights was regrettable but at least there was a stable government that didn't waste a lot of money and got some stuff done too. If I though most the politicians were doing a terrific job I certainly wouldn't bother pursuing it, I do so because I believe we can do so much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb