Now I know why Apple makes iPhones thin....

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay so this is just my take. After getting an iPhone 4S and buying protective shells and battery extenders I have come to this conclusion. That maybe just maybe Apple purposely designs their phones thin because 9/10 people will be bulking it anyways adding weight by attaching protective shells and battery extenders by the time you realize it... its heavier than Lumia 920. It could be a good business decision too because that necessity will create lots of protective shells and accessories -- which is the case now.

The good thing is, I got rid of my iPhone 4S in favor of Lumia 620 lime green. While spending almost a month with iOS was fun, it was not what I wanted. I can live without it. I have also used Android and unless there's a better alternative than Windows Phone --- I'm sticking to it. The only good think I liked about iPhone was the games selection but other than that I find it too overrated.

Maybe some people may disagree and I will respect that. People have different wants, needs and desire. I just want my phone to be WP. I really don't care about the apps because I rarely play games, I don't own any game consoles. Most of my daily mobile phone use are calling, texting, and surfing the web. Most of the apps really are just there for the sake of count. Because really, who has 100 apps installed? and how frequent those apps are being used?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the form factor of iPhones has anything to do with selling more cases.

Most people will buy cases no matter what touchscreen devices they own. The Nokia Lumia 920 will get a broken screen just as easily as the iPhone if it's dropped on a hard surface.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
That does sound like realistic reasoning. Most people believe the thinner the better, and while most will pick up some kind of case, lots complain abt the thickness. Some phones I just went bare with because they would easily flip out of the pockets of my skirts (loose fitted) when juggling tasks, amongst other things, with the bulk of a case. Though I'd have to disagree with the previous statement that a Lumia 920 will get a broken screen just as easily as an iPhone. I used to have to find myself constantly babying the thing (iPhone 4)and hardly liked people to use it because if its fragility. If the 920 is anything like my 900 or even my flimsy Galaxy S2 Skyrocket I don't think it's as fragile as the iPhone.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the form factor of iPhones has anything to do with selling more cases.

Most people will buy cases no matter what touchscreen devices they own. The Nokia Lumia 920 will get a broken screen just as easily as the iPhone if it's dropped on a hard surface.

I own a 920 and it doesn't have either a screen protector or a case on it...... and it's holding up superbly, not a scratch, dent, blemish, at all (other than fingerprints). The 920 is the best phone (physically) that I've ever owned.

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally think it does. for Example with the Lumia 920 since its hefty, case designers will come with something thin and will not add more bulk to it. The iPhone for example has inspired a whole bunch of alternative cases from waterproof to almost unbreakable.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah this is true, trying to rest a 7" tablet and NL920 on my lap yesterday... nice hairline crack in the screen and a chip in the top right corner of the phone... Bah! Only had it back since Tuesday!

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been carrying all my phones naked since they were new. Cases add bulk/thickness I don't want. The only case I ever carried was a silicone sleeve on my original iPhone. But that silicone made it hard to put in and get out of my pants pocket. Since then, I've had a Droid, Droid X, Palm Pre 2, Incredible 2, and now a Trophy. All have been carried naked since and all of them have zero scratches on them.

I think it's more to the point of what else is in your pocket with the phone that would necessitate a case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon