Cutting my Cable Subscription - Looking for Tips

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Any particular brand/model you recommend? I haven't purchased an antenna

That reminds me, I have a trendnet powerline adapter. When I got it, I was on cable internet and it worked great. I switched to DSL years ago, which meant my set-up changed, and I couldn't get the powerline adapter to work through the outlet it was plugged into. Then I switched back to cable and my original setup, but the powerline adapter still wouldn't work. It must have gone bad. I'll need to change that.

Well, a couple of years ago I bought a Radio Shack amplified antenna. I just looked at their site and they no longer list it. Too bad, it works really well. I think Terk is a good manufacturer, but I could be wrong. Just be sure to read reviews and get an amplified antenna.

Yep, just grab yourself a set of 500 Mbps powerline adapters and you'll be good to go. Don't plug them into a surge protector or UPS or anything. Plug them directly into the wall only.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Found an antenna called the Mohu Leaf that I think I'm going for.

Also, got in on 20 meg DSL. Called and they finally had it. DSL and basic phone service are cheaper than Cable 15 meg internet.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Found an antenna called the Mohu Leaf that I think I'm going for.

Also, got in on 20 meg DSL. Called and they finally had it. DSL and basic phone service are cheaper than Cable 15 meg internet.

Do you even need a basic phone? I got my DSL without a regular phone line. Glad to hear you got the DSL.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
By the way, coincidentally, a Roku box showed up today on one of the deal sites I check every morning. The Roku 2 XS, normally $99, for $65 (free shipping, refurbished). I picked it up. Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

So I have 2 Roku boxes ordered, an HD antenna, DSL being activated at the end of the month. I'll set up free trial periods for Hulu+ and Netflix, see what Amazon Prime can offer me, check out Vudu and ustvnow. Then call and cancel cable. Sweet. :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, coincidentally, a Roku box showed up today on one of the deal sites I check every morning. The Roku 2 XS, normally $99, for $65 (free shipping, refurbished). I picked it up. Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

So I have 2 Roku boxes ordered, an HD antenna, DSL being activated at the end of the month. I'll set up free trial periods for Hulu+ and Netflix, see what Amazon Prime can offer me, check out Vudu and ustvnow. Then call and cancel cable. Sweet. :)

Sounds like you're all set. Good deal. Enjoy the pile of money you're saving by not paying for useless channels you never watch! I haven't had cable/satellite ever. Ever! It's such a waste of money. I use Amazon Prime on my Roku and it works great. Though, the movie selection appears to be less than what Netflix has. However, the TV series selection is quite good.

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I cut cable years ago for the same reason. It costs way too much, etc. I still have Comcast for internet, but that's it. I have a some Samsung Blu-Ray player that can stream Netflix and an old Roku box, as well. Living in Minneapolis, I have had little trouble just getting the generic antennas from Target or whatever for OTA stuff. Nothing fancy. I bought some expensive antenna once and it didn't work nearly as well as the cheap ones. Weird.

Now we don't watch nearly as much television. I am especially happy since my kids also are not glued to a TV or feel the need to watch it. They actually are pretty bored with TV which is a great thing.

Good luck.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes. It basically lets you stream cable tv for like 10 dollars a month I think. 20 for dvr features

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077