netflix
    vudu
    ustvnow
    03-05-2013 07:44 AM
    Hulu
    netflix
    vudu
    ustvnow
    Not familiar with ustvnow. Is that something Roku can access? Also, I know the name Vudu, but don't know what it is or how it differs from the others. I'll have to go take a look.
    03-05-2013 08:08 AM
    By the way, coincidentally, a Roku box showed up today on one of the deal sites I check every morning. The Roku 2 XS, normally $99, for $65 (free shipping, refurbished). I picked it up. Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

So I have 2 Roku boxes ordered, an HD antenna, DSL being activated at the end of the month. I'll set up free trial periods for Hulu+ and Netflix, see what Amazon Prime can offer me, check out Vudu and ustvnow. Then call and cancel cable. Sweet. :-)

Thanks for the input everyone.
    03-05-2013 08:16 AM
    By the way, coincidentally, a Roku box showed up today on one of the deal sites I check every morning. The Roku 2 XS, normally $99, for $65 (free shipping, refurbished). I picked it up. Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

So I have 2 Roku boxes ordered, an HD antenna, DSL being activated at the end of the month. I'll set up free trial periods for Hulu+ and Netflix, see what Amazon Prime can offer me, check out Vudu and ustvnow. Then call and cancel cable. Sweet. :-)

Sounds like you're all set. Good deal. Enjoy the pile of money you're saving by not paying for useless channels you never watch! I haven't had cable/satellite ever. Ever! It's such a waste of money. I use Amazon Prime on my Roku and it works great. Though, the movie selection appears to be less than what Netflix has. However, the TV series selection is quite good.
    03-05-2013 09:41 AM
    I cut cable years ago for the same reason. It costs way too much, etc. I still have Comcast for internet, but that's it. I have a some Samsung Blu-Ray player that can stream Netflix and an old Roku box, as well. Living in Minneapolis, I have had little trouble just getting the generic antennas from Target or whatever for OTA stuff. Nothing fancy. I bought some expensive antenna once and it didn't work nearly as well as the cheap ones. Weird.

Now we don't watch nearly as much television. I am especially happy since my kids also are not glued to a TV or feel the need to watch it. They actually are pretty bored with TV which is a great thing.

Good luck.
    speedtouch and dakranii like this.
    03-05-2013 10:00 AM
    Minneapolis!? I grew up there! Glad to see another Minnesotan on these boards.
    03-05-2013 02:43 PM

Yes. It basically lets you stream cable tv for like 10 dollars a month I think. 20 for dvr features
    03-05-2013 04:23 PM
    Quoted wrong post but in regards to the ustvnow question
    03-05-2013 04:23 PM
33 12