Military Tuition Assistance suspended, petition signature please?

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Tuition Assistance gives military service members $4,500 per fiscal year to go to college. This covers about six college classes. Read more below. I need at least 100,000 signatures so we need to get this thing rolling. Help out if you can please.

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Not use educational benefits from the United States Armed Forces, I.E. Tuition Assistance, as a part of the budget cuts.
On March 8th 2013 the United States Army suspended it's Tuition Assitance program due to budget cuts. This happened without warning and is effecting over 200,000 Soldiers according to the Army Times. The Army isn't the only branch feeling the educational squeeze, others have or will be following suit. Education benefits for our service members should not be on the table. Please pass this petition on to fellow service members so our voices can be heard!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...-tuition-assistance-part-budget-cuts/st8pzVKx

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You are writing to the wrong person. Let me direct you to the right person

"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the white House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I'm pretty happy." - John Boehner

You want to contact the Boehner and House Republicans

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You are writing to the wrong person. Let me direct you to the right person

"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the white House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I'm pretty happy." - John Boehner

You want to contact the Boehner and House Republicans
Nope, try again. The "sequester" was the brainchild of the white house. Also, the GOP has attempted legislation that will give Obama full discretion in how to allocate the reductions. He will have none of it.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. Politicians in Washington are useless gasbags full of hot air and not to concerned about who they screw over in the process of getting elected. I did hear, they aren't going to polish the floors as much. That was their big contribution to the budget cuts.

Petition signed.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Obamas baby. Don't blame Republicans for this one. Its all about placing the blame on Republicans as he has lied numorous time to do just that. For one thing the sequester is cuts in future spending (above and beyond what they spent last year) so everything that was budgeted last year should run fine this year to. Its a political head game to gain liberal Democrat seats in the house in 2014. Plain and simple. People really need to be more informed.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Nope, try again. The "sequester" was the brainchild of the white house. Also, the GOP has attempted legislation that will give Obama full discretion in how to allocate the reductions. He will have none of it.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Sorry I don't subscribe to any party. I just say it how it is. This is was all Boehner and House Republican that cooked up this nonsense as a compromise to raising the debt limit. If you don't like the facts, not my problem

This all started in 2011 with Budget Control Act of 2011.
The law involves the introduction of several complex mechanisms, such as creation of the Congressional Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction (sometimes called the "super committee"),[SUP][1][/SUP] options for a balanced budget amendment and automatic budget sequestration.
The House passed the Budget Control Act[SUP][1][/SUP] on August 1, 2011 by a vote of 269–161. 174 Republicans and 95 Democrats voted for it, while 66 Republicans and 95 Democrats voted against it
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-pass-debt-plan-just-hours-before-deadline/

Last edited:

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Obamas baby. Don't blame Republicans for this one. Its all about placing the blame on Republicans as he has lied numorous time to do just that. For one thing the sequester is cuts in future spending (above and beyond what they spent last year) so everything that was budgeted last year should run fine this year to. Its a political head game to gain liberal Democrat seats in the house in 2014. Plain and simple. People really need to be more informed.

Don't worry Democrats don't need to do anything, the Republicans are self destructing all by themselves. That party is done come 2014. And yes Sequester is all Republican. Or other wise Boehner wouldnt have come out saying he got 98% of exactly what he wanted in the Sequester. The Sequester is exactly what the Republicans have screaming about the last 4 years, they want reduced spending. Well you got reduced spending. Don't be surprised when cuts come in and people are start getting fired

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't subscribe to any party. I just say it how it is. This is was all Boehner and House Republican that cooked up this nonsense as a compromise to raising the debt limit. If you don't like the facts, not my problem

This all started in 2011 with Budget Control Act of 2011.

Obama Signs Debt-Ceiling Plan Hours Before Deadline | Fox News

Wow, just wow. Your so wrong on so many levels. I call it like I see it too, EVERYONE had their hand in on this. Republicans in the house, Democrats in the senate an our awesome leader in the white house. They all passed this because they never thought it would actually happen. If the Congress (both houses) and our super-duper community organizer leader could get their act together and actually pass a spending bill for the 1st time in FOUR YEARS like they are required to do every year, we might have been able to do some real work on this spending madness.

And yes, I'm affected by this sequester. After 10 years of honorable military service and 5 years working for the DOD as a civilian, what's my reward? Oh ya, a 20% pay cut while everyone on entitlements and food stamps do not lose a single cent. Completely fair...

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
God bless you and thanks for your service. My point of Obummer owning this is look where the cuts are. Military, which they hate, and anywhere they can get the most political gain. 4 years with no budget which is a requirement. Constant campaign mode. Its all his and he owns it!

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
God bless you and thanks for your service. My point of Obummer owning this is look where the cuts are. Military, which they hate, and anywhere they can get the most political gain. 4 years with no budget which is a requirement. Constant campaign mode. Its all his and he owns it!

This lie really needs to stop ASAP
FY 2013 Budget
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/budget.pdf

But never mind the facts. Its easier to stay O'Reilly's and Limbaugh's sheeple than it is to actually get enlightened

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow, just wow. Your so wrong on so many levels. I call it like I see it too, EVERYONE had their hand in on this. Republicans in the house, Democrats in the senate an our awesome leader in the white house. They all passed this because they never thought it would actually happen. If the Congress (both houses) and our super-duper community organizer leader could get their act together and actually pass a spending bill for the 1st time in FOUR YEARS like they are required to do every year, we might have been able to do some real work on this spending madness.

And yes, I'm affected by this sequester. After 10 years of honorable military service and 5 years working for the DOD as a civilian, what's my reward? Oh ya, a 20% pay cut while everyone on entitlements and food stamps do not lose a single cent. Completely fair...

This is what I mean. Stop playing idiotic politics and start looking at the facts. I am in the Military too and I face the problems as you. But I don't go around blaming just 1 person or party and say the other one is right. Part the sequestration cuts the entitlement spending.

You are what we call in the Military a "double dipper" and you know exactly what that means.

Btw if you are so Republican and want federal spending cut, why are you so mad now that Defense is cut which is part of federal spending? So basically you want cuts in other fields just not yours. Let others suffer as long as you don't have to. Interesting.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This is what I mean. Stop playing idiotic politics and start looking at the facts. I am in the Military too and I face the problems as you. But I don't go around blaming just 1 person or party and say the other one is right. Part the sequestration cuts the entitlement spending.

You are what we call in the Military a "double dipper" and you know exactly what that means.

Btw if you are so Republican and want federal spending cut, why are you so mad now that Defense is cut which is part of federal spending? So basically you want cuts in other fields just not yours. Let others suffer as long as you don't have to. Interesting.

Everyone is a hypocrite.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Some people need to educate themselves and understand the term 'baseline budgeting'.

You also need to do a little research into the administration sending out directives to agencies to make sure they didn't contradict the White House. (IE "we said it was going to hurt so you better make sure it does." Exhibit A being the Maryland CDC director saying sequester cuts $30 million were going to cause 2000+ kids to lose vaccinations but Obama's budget cut of $58 million wouldn't.)

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Liberals ignore what they don't like. Even when their caught on video lying.

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
After 10 years of honorable military service and 5 years working for the DOD as a civilian, what's my reward? Oh ya, a 20% pay cut while everyone on entitlements and food stamps do not lose a single cent. Completely fair...

The difference between you and someone on entitlements and food stamps is that you won't starve, become homeless, or be unable to afford basic necessities after a cut. I'm not American, but in my country being on benefits does not equate to lazy people who can't be bothered to get a job. To get benefits here you have to be a) studying or b) actively job seeking or c) employed but earning so little that you need a bit more. Taking money away from these people just increases the burden on the healthcare system and on other sectors, and it increases other issues like crime and mental illness.

I completely agree that education money for those serving in the military should not be cut. Besides being an investment in those who make use of it (who will get higher paying jobs and thus pay more tax) it is also an insignificant part of military spending. The biggest problem with the US budget is and always has been excessive and unsustainable military spending combined with sending every other industry overseas, but cutting one of the most helpful and financially insignificant parts is the wrong thing to do.

In reality both parties were signatory to this and they are both to blame. We know Obama and the democrats wants to spend less on the military, but why would he agree to cut this policy to improve the education and future jobs prospects of those in the military, rather than something like weapons spending. And the republicans are hardly blame free either, they have blocked every effort by the Obama administration to reduce spending in reasonable ways and they have made it plain they would rather cut constructive military and social security funding than funding for more gun, missiles and battleships that are unneeded and in some cases (ships) unwanted by the military.

In the end things like this were always going to happen because American politicians cannot make well reasoned arguments, they cannot compromise, and they certainly don't represent their constituents.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by "double dipper'? I have one job, and that's for the DOD as a civilian. I don't "double dip" anything. If I was retired, I would be getting that check because I earned it. But im not retired just separated.

Many entitlements such as welfare and medicare are exempt from sequestration. No, I don't want just cuts in the other fields, I want cuts IN ALL SPENDING. I have no problem taking a 5% pay cut if EVERYONE takes one. That includes ALL the window lickers on welfare and the other government workers like congress and the president. Last time I checked, nobody there was having 20% of their pay taken from them.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So, in your opinion its ok to cut my pay because somehow growing up in the same system these window lickers used, I managed to make smart decisions and pay for my own way? I wasn't rich growing up, so I joined the military, made a good run of it till I was injured and then continued my career by working for the DoD as a civilian.

Nobody who is on food stamps is in any way shape or form going to starve or not afford basic necessities if they take a 20% pay cut like I will. I have a 7month old baby at home. Doesn't he deserve to have a good upbringing too? I'm doing my best to put money away for him and save so he wont be dependent on government care. Losing 20% of my pay makes that very difficult.

The whole point of this is fairness. I totally agree that the government is out of control. Too much spending on too many entitlements. I have no problem taking a pay cut, but by god, everyone who lives free off of my taxed earnings should take a cut in their benefits too.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea