Galaxy S4 - Do we really need all (kitchen sink included)???

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay Samsung Galaxy S4 is here but the true question is... Do we really need it? Seriously. Let us pause, think for a while. I don't hate Samsung but I don't like it either to me their phones look cheap and feels cheap, the only good think about it is the screen (its like set to dynamic contrast) but most of the feature revealed by Samsung are really existing except for the eye-scrolling thing and personally I think that technology is good but is better off applied to other things. I think the smart phono we need today are not the super smartphones but the practical smart phones. Smart phones that are affordable (cheap) and does the basic stuff that you would like to do like, making and receiving calls, sms/mms sending and receiving, Internet, good camera and video and acceptable battery life. Many people a being mislead today and they are made to believe that the more core the bigger memory etc is the better phone...really? Considering the price of this thing you can probably get a good phone like the Lumia 620 and have the other cash spent on other thing because really, feature by feature when it comes to basic smartphone use, what you can do with the S4 you can do with Lumia 620. I believe the better smartphone will not be sporting 8-cores 4GB or RAM 2TB of disk but a smartphone that does what you need without breaking your pocket but then again there are the super rich that can afford it but nevertheless, less is more. This is just my two cents.

zephyrwala

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand the specs and features thing and how media makes your 1 year old phone look prehistoric in front of the new one. Quadcore, dual core, this screen, that camera, sheeesh. I'm still happy with my lumia 800 which is a year old and I have no reason to change or upgrade. Everything is perfectly handled from my mails to blogs to my occasional shutterbug craze with the camera and the recent live tile issue fix update has made the cell even more snappier on a single core :))

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Why let useless features interfere with the need to have the latest and greatest?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gandhule

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
When I used android, I have this strange feeling that I want to upgrade my handset everytime the new one pop out. When I switch to Windows Phone 8, I feel satisfied and dont want to upgrade. Everything is now smooth and fluid.
If you ask me whether I need SGS4 or not, I have to say that I don't need one. It has no stand out feature that makes the handset a must buy. The only stand out feature is the brand itself. Had it been on, say, HTC or other less significant OEM, there wont be so much buzz about the handset

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly, with my old LG optimus 7 had it for 2 years (almost 3), was not in the least intrigued by any new phones that came out. The only feature I kinda wanted was a front facing camera to Skype, but that's it... It did everything so well. I even had my friend tell me "wow man, your voice is so clear!" because of this phone. Emails were great, fb mobile did its job. The only reason why I switched was because I saw some poor soul who didn't enjoy the HTC 8X and sold it for a desperate selling price (basically how much the 620 is now off contract). It was a bargain and I only wanted to switch as well cuz 7.8 had my phone a bit slower... Mango was amazing on it.

I digress though, my point was my friends had the galaxy s2, then the s3, and I still loved my optimus 7. It's that simple lool.

Andreas H

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
When I used android, I have this strange feeling that I want to upgrade my handset everytime the new one pop out. When I switch to Windows Phone 8, I feel satisfied and dont want to upgrade. Everything is now smooth and fluid.
If you ask me whether I need SGS4 or not, I have to say that I don't need one. It has no stand out feature that makes the handset a must buy. The only stand out feature is the brand itself. Had it been on, say, HTC or other less significant OEM, there wont be so much buzz about the handset
I have this feeling too. I switched from Android to the 920 and found myself not looking for the next phone anymore.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay Samsung Galaxy S4 is here but the true question is... Do we really need it? Seriously. Let us pause, think for a while. I don't hate Samsung but I don't like it either to me their phones look cheap and feels cheap, the only good think about it is the screen (its like set to dynamic contrast) but most of the feature revealed by Samsung are really existing except for the eye-scrolling thing and personally I think that technology is good but is better off applied to other things. I think the smart phono we need today are not the super smartphones but the practical smart phones. Smart phones that are affordable (cheap) and does the basic stuff that you would like to do like, making and receiving calls, sms/mms sending and receiving, Internet, good camera and video and acceptable battery life. Many people a being mislead today and they are made to believe that the more core the bigger memory etc is the better phone...really? Considering the price of this thing you can probably get a good phone like the Lumia 620 and have the other cash spent on other thing because really, feature by feature when it comes to basic smartphone use, what you can do with the S4 you can do with Lumia 620. I believe the better smartphone will not be sporting 8-cores 4GB or RAM 2TB of disk but a smartphone that does what you need without breaking your pocket but then again there are the super rich that can afford it but nevertheless, less is more. This is just my two cents.

That's the thing about Samsung: you say there should be cheaper phones? Well, there are. Samsung's approach is akin to a shotgun blast - they develop every form factor possible and let people choose what they want. Here in India, this is why Samsung dethroned Nokia in sales (that plus arrogance on Nokia India's part). Because people who want feature-packed phones find them with Samsung for a good price. Look at the recent Galaxy Grand Duos: 5" display (terrible resolution IMHO), dual sim and the usual smartphone features for $400 unlocked.

forestred

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Whether we like it or not a lot of people like the better specs of phones and feel a constant need to upgrade all the time, me ive never been bothered hence im still on my omnia 7. Thing is i believe microsoft /mokia etc need to announce a new handset soon otherwise wp8 will no doubt lose some people to the likes of the sg4/htc one and sony xperia z for this very reason. Me im forever more waiting around for the EOS, im not a fan of android and for those that see me on HOTUK deals know that im forever fighting the windows phone cause for our community. But for the first time ive been looking at the sg4, dont know why maybe i need help :)

btw im Mightyforest on Hotuk :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I dunno I thought the infrared gesture sensor was pretty trick... If they tighten that up it could be how they get Kinect on WP. Combine that with the FFC smart features and suddenly gaming on WP is at a new level.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I only care about the specs if the specs translate into a better user experience. Apple computers often fall behind in processor speed, memory, etc but most people don't care because the software makes the experience attractive and fluid. Phone manufactures are in a race to provide higher screen resolutions when practically speaking the visual difference on such a small screen is negligible and drains the battery. I think the S4 sounds like a great phone but many of the new innovations, such as eye tracking, strike me as gimmicky. There are features on my Lumia 920, like NFC, that I never use and I am sure if I had an S4 the situation would be similar.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The tech-specs arms race reminds me of a more geeky version of those guys that like to boast about how much horsepower their cars have yet the only drive around on city streets. With the current software out there I can't think of situations where 8 cores would be necessary. I mean my desktop can't even take full advantage of 6 cores most of the time. Also, 1080p vs 720p on a screen that small isn't going to be a noticeable difference.

Of course some guys are going to come along and say that it means the world to them to have those specs but we all know they just use it to boast to their buddies and feel superior to others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes