04-22-2013 07:39 PM
50 12
tools
    Oh yeah, of course a helmet, reflective vest, and knife... People will run you over, try to rob/jack your bike, or both, lol.
    lol, never thought of that, although my Trek isn't high end.. ~$500... I didn't want to spend a lot and it's for exercise, so I wasn't necessarily worried about weight.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-17-2013 01:47 PM
    Mine was a little over $600, but the lights and other accessories make the total bike cost (not necessarily worth) over $900.

I never thought anyone would steal my sub $200 bike, but they did... Plus all the accessories.

After that experience and doing research, thieves just don't care... An opportunity to sell your stuff waaaaayyyyy below cost is all that is needed. Bike thefts and jacking are going up. Quick money and low pressure from the police.

I carry my knife because when I commute to work... Though there are others on bicycles, I am one of the only one with a helmet, other safety gear, backpack, and on my way to work, lol! I'm an instant mark!
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-17-2013 03:57 PM
    Two bikes
    A haro sonix for mtb with only the original frame everything else in the bike was changed during the years.
    A small 20'' for commute.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-17-2013 04:34 PM
    Great topic OP, as I starting to really get into biking.

I originally had a target schwinn ranger and my girlfriend... For my bike I had inexpensive bell head and tail lights, storage rack, under seat bag with tools and spare tube, and a mini air pump on the frame. Unfortunately both bikes were stolen late last year...

In February, I replaced my bike with a Trek FX 7.3 and her bike with a Trek Verve 1.

My new accessories are a nite rider 350 head light nite rider Cyclops 2 watt tail light, small triangle frame bag/pouch that holds a spare tube, presta adaptor, and tools, a Mini air pump with Co2 cartridges, lastly I have this cell phone pouch that I put on the handlebars. That is one of the coolest so I can use my cellphone to track data.

I have not put a rack on the bike because I just carry a backpack... My surface, a small jacket, or accessories usually come along fie the ride. I have a basic light targus backpack and in have a ful sling shoulder bag with an internal battery for my phone.

I'm so dog gone happy! Just did 25 mile distance ride cs doing that amount of miles on a circular trail. It was much harder, but my gears were able to make all of the hills. I am buying a camel back today .
    yea I started this thread because well I just got a new very capable bike that I know of lol. But I'd like to know what other people ride and what accessories they find they need for their way of riding. Maybe something will be mentioned that I haven't thought of. I've looked at getting a good bike for a long time but I just could never afford one. So I've gotten really lucky lately but I'm so enjoying my new ride. I just got back from trail riding at a awesome park place near charlotte NC. I must say my muscles are worn!!!!! Lol. But I find it extremely fun. So yes its nice to hear from others on this topic and what they do and have.
    03-17-2013 04:36 PM
    I wear the Helmet in mtb and I believe that is stupid not wear one in those kind of rides.
    Another things that I personally carry are:
    my L920, have to find a decent case.
    Swiss knife
    Spare tube and pump
    Tools
    All these go in my camelback.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-17-2013 04:43 PM
    I wear the Helmet in mtb and I believe that is stupid not wear one in those kind of rides.
    Swiss knife
    Spare tube and pump
    Tools
    I have the black incipio dual pro on my l920. Durable and nice looking. Not really heavy and not much bulk added. I need to get spare tire stuff and tools yet in case something was to happen while I'm out. What kind of pump do you have?
    03-17-2013 05:34 PM
    Specialized aluminum pump, tried co2 cartridges but gave up and returned to the traditional solution.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-18-2013 03:41 AM
    Specialized aluminum pump, tried co2 cartridges but gave up and returned to the traditional solution.
    whys that? Do they just not work?
    03-18-2013 07:43 AM
    Here's my 2009 Jamis XCT 2.0. I upgraded the fork to an X-Fusion Velvet RL2, the front wheel was replaced as my grandmother ran over the original (and somehow spared the bike, whew), and I recently put Kenda Excavator 2.35" tires on it and saved two pounds over the original wire bead Nevegals.

Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-18-2013 08:24 AM
    Here's my 2009 Jamis XCT 2.0. I upgraded the fork to an X-Fusion Velvet RL2, the front wheel was replaced as my grandmother ran over the original (and somehow spared the bike, whew), and I recently put Kenda Excavator 2.35" tires on it and saved two pounds over the original wire bead Nevegals.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...P1010167-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...e/P1010169.jpg
    Sharpe bike. I originally set to look for a Jamis bike but I could not find any dealers but that's ok cause I really like the one I got my Fuji
    03-18-2013 08:36 AM
    Swiss knife
    Spare tube and pump
    Tools
    My wife got her Camelback before I did and I jokingly refer to it as her cameltoe.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-18-2013 09:58 AM
    Sharpe bike. I originally set to look for a Jamis bike but I could not find any dealers but that's ok cause I really like the one I got my Fuji
    Thanks. Your bike is pretty sharp, too!
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-18-2013 04:11 PM
    Thanks. Your bike is pretty sharp, too!
    thanks! I just need to piece the other accessories together now. Slowly but surely!
    03-18-2013 05:27 PM
    What are some good metal pedals that don't require special shoes for mtb? Ones that won't bend easily?
    03-22-2013 11:21 AM
    So I picked up a Lizard Skins neoprene chainstay for my bike. Its the 29er model jumbo size. Fits really well. And adds a little flair lol
    03-23-2013 02:37 PM
    I just picked up a Bell F12 cyclocomputer. It was like $8 on amazon. Pretty accurate device. Basic functionality which is all o desired like speed, distance, odo, max/average speed, and of course time.

More accurately tracks me than endomondo tracks on my phone.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    03-30-2013 08:22 AM
    I just picked up a Bell F12 cyclocomputer. It was like $8 on amazon. Pretty accurate device. Basic functionality which is all o desired like speed, distance, odo, max/average speed, and of course time.

More accurately tracks me than endomondo tracks on my phone.
    Ive been contemplating on wether or not to pick up something like this. there are so many out there. I downloaded endomondo but maybe ill just try one of these. itll save battery life too lol. but my question is wired or wireless?
    03-31-2013 08:29 AM
    I still use endomondo, but it is not as accurate, but it is more than acceptable. I have just had a time or two where my phone died. I would rather have a phone rather than the stats in the time of need. I use them at the same time because I love the syncing and stat tracking of endomondo, but can manually upload my stats otherwise.

This little cheap guy picked up is wired. I installed it fairly cleanly. More than wired or wireless is what features do you want? The wireless may just be your only option. Wireless is nicer. I just made the decision on price and functionality.
    03-31-2013 10:41 AM
    I still use endomondo, but it is not as accurate, but it is more than acceptable. I have just had a time or two where my phone died. I would rather have a phone rather than the stats in the time of need. I use them at the same time because I love the syncing and stat tracking of endomondo, but can manually upload my stats otherwise.

This little cheap guy picked up is wired. I installed it fairly cleanly. More than wired or wireless is what features do you want? The wireless may just be your only option. Wireless is nicer. I just made the decision on price and functionality.
    I don't really know if id care about wires or no wires as long as I didn't have to zip tie the thing down. Don't need it to look cheap ya know....
    03-31-2013 04:43 PM
    What are some good metal pedals that don't require special shoes for mtb? Ones that won't bend easily?
    I would suggest Wellgo MG-1 pedals. Really light and well-reviewed pedals.

If you want to go cheaper I've got these and they do the job pretty well.

Ive been contemplating on wether or not to pick up something like this. there are so many out there. I downloaded endomondo but maybe ill just try one of these. itll save battery life too lol. but my question is wired or wireless?
    In my experience with Endomondo it usually only records about 70% of the ride due to signal issues or something. It should differ from phone to phone. I've had no problem with battery life while using it, though. I even went on a 4-hour ride and it didn't use up too much battery.

I would definitely recommend a bike computer, though. I've got a wireless one, but wired is nice because it uses less battery, costs less, and there is only one battery to change instead of two.

This is the one I have. It's pretty good overall. There's also a wired version of it.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    04-01-2013 01:51 PM
    Don't have a picture of mine, but found this one online!

(ps: sorry only half a bike)

torker-unistar-lx-unicycle.jpg
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    04-01-2013 02:03 PM
    I have a Trek 4500. Its a 2001 model, but it's still in great shape and rides like a champ. The weather is just starting to turn in PA and I hope to be able to ride again soon. Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time as I'd like to ride.

As far as accessories, not much. I have a Cat-Eye speedo/odometer computer, a small bike pump that mounts on-frame, and a tiny under-saddle bag that holds bug spray, a tire kit a flashlight etc. Oh, and I replaced the seat, because the old one was a little unfriendly. The most vital accessory is the camelback I wear when I ride. It is a much more convenient and safe way to hydrate on the bike.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    04-01-2013 09:43 PM
    imageuploadedbytapatalk1364874147.739776.jpg
    Giant Anthem 29er fat tire terror!
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    04-01-2013 10:43 PM

In my experience with Endomondo it usually only records about 70% of the ride due to signal issues or something. It should differ from phone to phone. I've had no problem with battery life while using it, though. I even went on a 4-hour ride and it didn't use up too much battery.

I would definitely recommend a bike computer, though. I've got a wireless one, but wired is nice because it uses less battery, costs less, and there is only one battery to change instead of two.

This is the one I have. It's pretty good overall. There's also a wired version of it.
    So I picked up a mount for my Garmin Oregon 450t. I'm gonna see how that works for acting as a bike computer with trail maps on it. Thanks for the pedals input. I'm gonna look into the wellgo ones.they look like they offer better grip.
    04-02-2013 08:48 PM

So my new pedals came today! I got these for half off brand new I'm so excited to try them out!
    Attached Thumbnails shimano-saint-mx80.jpg  
    04-22-2013 07:39 PM
50 12