Will Yahoo ever come to Windows Phone?

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yahoo Messenger, despite being kind of old school, is still a widely used service around the globe, and on Android and iOS is in the top 100 most downloaded social apps.
I've been using the service for years on my Blackberry, and really miss it on Windows Phone.

Which brings me to ask, why hasn't Yahoo developed a Messenger client for Windows Phone already?

Both Nokia and Microsoft are in partnerships with Yahoo for messaging. Yahoo powers all of Nokia's @nokiamail and Nokia Chat services for their S40 and S60 and Symbian^3 devices as well as the web based counterparts. Yahoo even uses Bing to power it's search engine.
Previously Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger were interoperable, you could talk to contacts from either service and it was great.

Logic would dictate that Yahoo would WANT to be a part of Microsoft's ecosystem. Yahoo even offers Lumia 920's to it's employees.

Yahoo has already brought their Cricket and Sports apps to the platform... Does anyone know if Messenger is in the pipeline?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Yahoo has a very low user base in the US so I doubt that they are interested so much in having it on newer and not yet established platforms. Their mail solution (and app attached to it) is a different story but their IM solution is not that much used in US or western Europe so it does not make sense(from financial perspective) to use resources to make a free app that brings you back so little return of investment.

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is based solely on the U.S. Yahoo has a very large userbase outside of the united states, however it's mostly found in the Asia-Pacific/Asia Reigon. It's also the third most used IM service in the United States. Yahoo is HUGE in Japan.

I know on Android they loaded the messenger application with advertisements, similarly to how they do on the desktop app, which I believe would have brought them some revenue in return. Other IM clients such as Skype employ a this system.

Yahoo previously had messenger applications for a number of platforms, such as S60, Windows Mobile and even WebOS.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
This is based solely on the U.S. Yahoo has a very large userbase outside of the united states, however it's mostly found in the Asia-Pacific/Asia Reigon. It's also the third most used IM service in the United States. Yahoo is HUGE in Japan.

I know on Android they loaded the messenger application with advertisements, similarly to how they do on the desktop app, which I believe would have brought them some revenue in return. Other IM clients such as Skype employ a this system.

Yahoo previously had messenger applications for a number of platforms, such as S60, Windows Mobile and even WebOS.

It first choice on some eastern European country too. But like any add revenue app you need a load of users to gain profit from this system. So it the market share is not big enough there is still no return of investment even if it is add supported.

Simply put a free app can see profit if it has a very large user base and serve adds or if it data mine the user(GPS check-ins for selling that data and improve geo location big providers). Yahoo messenger on windows phone can't benefit from either those solution to be profitable so it's counter productive to invest and train a team of artists/developers to constantly work on this project when you won't even be able to see costs covered not mentioning profit.

radu191289

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem is not that yahoo has a small numbers of users in USA. WP is a the big player world wide, so is yahoo messenger. And since multiple small developers managed to create similar apps for WP I'm sure yahoo can do this very easy. So the problem is somewhere else, something more personal maybe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb