04-06-2013 01:54 AM
30 12
tools
    I'm seeing more and more people who want to get out of their 9-5 job, or do something completely different than what they studied at university. I'm not surprised though. These days it feels like employers want to squeeze every little ounce of work out of their employees without returning the favour in terms of adequate pay or time off. Meanwhile the people high up on the corporate ladder do even less work while getting paid more.

It reminds me of how when I was a recent grad and I used to hear these talks by professionals (usually CEOs, VPs, Directors etc) who would tell other recent grads things like, "If you want to make it in the work world you have to put your personal life to one side and dedicate yourself to your job". A lot of young people get the impression from those types of talks is that the only way they will be successful professionals is if they spend all their time working hard trying to move up, working overtime to please their bosses, not take holidays when they need them and other pointless sacrifices. Later on if the company runs into some problems they let go of their employees and the employees are stunned because they wonder why all their hard work wasn't taken into account.

I made a conscious choice not to dedicate my life to my 9-5 job. I'm not saying that I am a slacker or anything of that sort because I will do my best when it is expected. However, I am not going to do things like work excessive overtime, put off holidays, work weekends, answer emails at home etc.
    Agree with each and every word. In fact, that's exactly what happened. When I was unwell last weekend, suffering from a severe backache with fever, I was asked to finish some job.

A. It was a weekend
    B. I wasn't well.
    C. The job was a piddly little one.
    D. My boss talks to me and says, "its not like u are doing a favour to me."

Was reasons enough for me to say good bye.
    The problem is, all my boss, every one above me are, for lack of a better term, family-less. They have no idea how much a family craves to be with u, at least on a weekend.

They kept mailing me till 2 in the night that day after which I blocked all of them on Gmail. And I don't regret it.

In think we can do away with this pressure that they build for no reason.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    04-03-2013 09:59 PM
    I'm seeing more and more people who want to get out of their 9-5 job, or do something completely different than what they studied at university. I'm not surprised though. These days it feels like employers want to squeeze every little ounce of work out of their employees without returning the favour in terms of adequate pay or time off. Meanwhile the people high up on the corporate ladder do even less work while getting paid more.

It reminds me of how when I was a recent grad and I used to hear these talks by professionals (usually CEOs, VPs, Directors etc) who would tell other recent grads things like, "If you want to make it in the work world you have to put your personal life to one side and dedicate yourself to your job". A lot of young people get the impression from those types of talks is that the only way they will be successful professionals is if they spend all their time working hard trying to move up, working overtime to please their bosses, not take holidays when they need them and other pointless sacrifices. Later on if the company runs into some problems they let go of their employees and the employees are stunned because they wonder why all their hard work wasn't taken into account.

I made a conscious choice not to dedicate my life to my 9-5 job. I'm not saying that I am a slacker or anything of that sort because I will do my best when it is expected. However, I am not going to do things like work excessive overtime, put off holidays, work weekends, answer emails at home etc.
    Bravo. I feel the same way. I'll do what I need to do while I'm there, but I have a life to live once it's 5 pm.

I do wish I had more responsibility and worked with stuff I enjoyed (writing), however.
    04-05-2013 10:52 AM
    Xenophos,

Sometimes it is good to have a plan before you go. Sometimes it is good to just quit and figure it out as you go. I've made changes both ways, and for me, it is better to have a plan so I can move on and be comfortable with my decision 100% - even if I choose to do that same type of work again in the future.

Now that the horse is out the barn, it is how you juggle your responsibilities in the short term with how you chase your dreams is what matters. You shouldn't have to choose between one or the other, but make sure what you do from this point forward addresses both.

All the best to you on this part of your journey.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    04-05-2013 11:22 AM
    Every second-third year or so I quit my job and/or move to a different town/city. Why? Dont know.
    Sometimes because of a similar experience like Xenophos. Sometimes its because a job or place seems exiteing and I whant to check it out. Sometimes Im just bored.
    Ive worked as everything from Radio hoast to a mechanic. Lived in four different countrys, in small towns and big cities.
    Im 31 now and have been on the move since I was 17. Will I ever stop? No idea.

My current job in the Swedish armed Forces have so far keept me exited, every day is different. But I bought a new apartment yesterday in a City wich I have only pased through earlier, I have no idea how my life is gonna turn out there, and thats the thing.

Dont be scared about this, yes there will be some frictions and maybe even some problems. But if you set your mind to it, it could be your biggest adventure and the best desission you have ever made.
    And if you fall, you learn from the lesson, stand up and go again, untill you find what it is you whant to do and/or value in life.

Good luck :)
    X0LARIUM and MSFTisMIA like this.
    04-05-2013 03:33 PM
    Every second-third year or so I quit my job and/or move to a different town/city. Why? Dont know.
    Sometimes because of a similar experience like Xenophos. Sometimes its because a job or place seems exiteing and I whant to check it out. Sometimes Im just bored.
    Ive worked as everything from Radio hoast to a mechanic. Lived in four different countrys, in small towns and big cities.
    Im 31 now and have been on the move since I was 17. Will I ever stop? No idea.

My current job in the Swedish armed Forces have so far keept me exited, every day is different. But I bought a new apartment yesterday in a City wich I have only pased through earlier, I have no idea how my life is gonna turn out there, and thats the thing.

Dont be scared about this, yes there will be some frictions and maybe even some problems. But if you set your mind to it, it could be your biggest adventure and the best desission you have ever made.
    And if you fall, you learn from the lesson, stand up and go again, untill you find what it is you whant to do and/or value in life.

Good luck :)
    Thanks so much Nisse for sharing about your life. It reflects lot of positivism about life. That's the life I wish to live TBH. When I talked about experience and gaining knowledge, that's exactly what I meant. I bet you've learned a lot things on the way. Keep it up. Cheers and thanks once again.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    Nisse Tuta likes this.
    04-06-2013 01:54 AM
30 12