What's the Stupidest thing you have had said or asked about your Windows phone?

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Reproducing from another thread.

Gentleman next to me on bus: "What phone is that?"
Me: It's a Nokia.
GM : Never heard of it. Is that a chinese knock off or something?

*Facepalm*

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
the dumbest question is without a doubt "Do you like it?" to which I reply

"why no, I hate it, I just love going out and blowing hundreds of dollars on gadgets that make me miserable"

I mean, what kind of ******* question is that? It is like someone asking if you like your broken arm or your wrecked car.

How is that a stupid question? I've known people who bought a phone and liked it at first but over time the things that were minor annoyances at first grew to bother them a ton. For instance, I had a coworker who used a Palm Pre Plus, and I asked him if he liked it and he said it was a piece of ****, couldn't get any good apps for it, battery life sucked, etc. He wasn't all negative about it but there was enough that bothered him that we would no longer recommend it to someone.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I have another, I said to a women that I like her phone. She said thanks, its a Nokia iphone!

To be honest some of the carrier reps I think are somewhat to blame for some of this mindset. You have to remember how many "normal users" out there aren't technically inclined and probably have never logged into a tech forum in their lives. For instance I went to an AT&T store recently and I asked the manager how the BlackBerry Z10's were selling. He said, "Pretty well actually, it's a combination of an Android and an iPhone."

That means he's saying that to people who don't know any better and probably go around and tell people their new BlackBerry is an Android iPhone.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well one guy called me "trend setter" for going with a 822. To be fair it was after I called a him and a bunch of iPhone users iSheep... :wink: One Android user (who is open minded) I showed it to was astounded that the phone was free. He thought it was pretty good hardware for free...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"You have a werid phone" When telling my boss that I there was app no available that I needed for work.

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
To be honest some of the carrier reps I think are somewhat to blame for some of this mindset. You have to remember how many "normal users" out there aren't technically inclined and probably have never logged into a tech forum in their lives.

Agreed. The non tech people struggle with Windows and Office most of the time (I constantly hear people talking about Windows 2003 and 2007, and it hurts), and now they've got people that there's only two smartphone platforms. Of course they're going to be confused.

It's not helped by the casual tech sites, that have some influence on these kind of people, telling them that anything not made by Apple or Google even matters.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, when I asked someone about the Lumia 920, this is what I got:

*me talking to a carrier spokesperson*
Sir, where's your exhibit of the Lumia 920 and 820?
"That's phased out. The Lumia 710 and 900 are the newest phones, as far as I know."

At that moment, I launched a fifteen-minute rant at EVERYONE in the store.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My boyfriend's roommate has an iPhone 5. First time he saw my Lumia 810, he made some comments about how "unstable" Windows 8 is. I told him Windows Phone 8 isn't the same exact thing as Windows 8 per se... Also told him that I have no problems with the phone and that the only thing that tends to be unstable in it is Words with Friends. The funny thing is that now he's got a Windows 8 laptop for work and seems to love it. lol

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
"Why would you buy a phone that doesn't have Instagram?"

I don't mind iPhone users who actually know what they are talking about; it's the incredibly dumb people (one friend of mine in particular) who stammer and stumble over words when I ask why their phone is "So much better than mine".

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
"Why would you buy a phone that doesn't have Instagram?"

I don't mind iPhone users who actually know what they are talking about; it's the incredibly dumb people (one friend of mine in particular) who stammer and stumble over words when I ask why their phone is "So much better than mine".
"Because Steve Jobs said it was, right after he told me I was "holding it wrong"... :wink:

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
the dumbest question is without a doubt "Do you like it?" to which I reply

"why no, I hate it, I just love going out and blowing hundreds of dollars on gadgets that make me miserable"

I mean, what kind of ******* question is that? It is like someone asking if you like your broken arm or your wrecked car.

That's not really a dumb question. I know a bunch of people who hate their phones but only still have them due to contracts.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
My boyfriend's roommate has an iPhone 5. First time he saw my Lumia 810, he made some comments about how "unstable" Windows 8 is. I told him Windows Phone 8 isn't the same exact thing as Windows 8 per se... Also told him that I have no problems with the phone and that the only thing that tends to be unstable in it is Words with Friends. The funny thing is that now he's got a Windows 8 laptop for work and seems to love it. lol

I might be in the minority here, but i've always thought the name itself is a large part of the problem, illustrated by what your boyfriends roommate said. The average user sees the name 'Windows' and they most likely think it's actually full blown Windows on a phone. The next thought their mind automatically jumps to is bloated, crashes, a taskbar, blue screens and various other Windows cliches.

Microsoft should have done what they did with Xbox, arguably their only 'cool' brand, and have the name have nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows. They usually design their software and tag it with various rather cool sounding code names, and then change it to the long winded generic stuff when it's released.

Maybe Windows Phone, like movie franchises, needs a reboot, complete with a new name. Probably never happen though.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"The camera sucks in the 920 because..."
"... the pictures are blurry" (referring to the shallow depth of field)
"... I can't shoot in a pitch black room" (referring to the low light capabilities)

and ranking at #1...
"because it's only 8.7MP"

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
^^
But most Android users I know have most knowledge and aren't as dumb as my IOS friends.

iPhone users consider them to be of some "different league" and any other phone is almost a blasphemy for them. Android users have little to say , but they only say WP is crap because apps don't exist and some say it is very boring !!

Own an Android tab (I am a app developer ! ) and apart from restarting it many times , I don't find it very interesting. **** yeah I though like the pattern un lock in android...

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
iPhone users consider them to be of some "different league" and any other phone is almost a blasphemy for them. Android users have little to say , but they only say WP is crap because apps don't exist and some say it is very boring !!

Own an Android tab (I am a app developer ! ) and apart from restarting it many times , I don't find it very interesting. **** yeah I though like the pattern un lock in android...

I find most Android users don't like WP because there are a lot of paid apps.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I might be in the minority here, but i've always thought the name itself is a large part of the problem, illustrated by what your boyfriends roommate said. The average user sees the name 'Windows' and they most likely think it's actually full blown Windows on a phone. The next thought their mind automatically jumps to is bloated, crashes, a taskbar, blue screens and various other Windows cliches.

Microsoft should have done what they did with Xbox, arguably their only 'cool' brand, and have the name have nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows. They usually design their software and tag it with various rather cool sounding code names, and then change it to the long winded generic stuff when it's released.

Maybe Windows Phone, like movie franchises, needs a reboot, complete with a new name. Probably never happen though.

Agree to some extent. It is easy to say I have iPhone or an Android phone but its tough to say I have Windows Phone 8 . Besides the naming of Windows brand on it , there is so much confusion between Windows mobile and Windows phone. Both of them sound so terribly similar and most users do get confused (I mean they are outdated but trust me , I have met hundreds of people like that)

Add to that , Windows phone suffers marketing issues , I think the problem with people is awareness.

On the other hand , attaching windows brand is a long term vision I suppose. Windows is trying to transform itself from a non interesting only work kind of positioning to a fun filled , fluid , imaginative and yet productive , that's what WP also stands for. Probably the way they are advertising IE (the browser you love to hate) , something creative of that sort would have helped WP.

Over statement , but I would still make it , It sometimes look like MS not very serious in WP marketing (nokia is more) , it seems too happy with Nokia as a partner. It has done limited (or probably invisible to us) to get more partners on board. WP is great but MS needs to tie several loose ends

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I find most Android users don't like WP because there are a lot of paid apps.

Other way round , they can download cracked versions of APK and install it. That is not allowed by WP and iOS. The android market place is also full of paid apps. There are good number of free and fully functional trials (ad supported) apps in marketplace

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786