What's the Stupidest thing you have had said or asked about your Windows phone?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
This thread is great. Some comedy gold moments reading through.

Couple of mornings ago on the train to work im sat down with my 8x reading through my people feed catching up on everything from overnight. Got a guy next to me with an iphone4 or 4s (cant tell the difference :wink:) Conversation went like this.

Guy "Hey is that the new HTC One phone"
Me " Nah Had this about 4 months"
Guy " Oh looks pretty new"
30 sec pause
Guy "What app is that your running looks pretty sweet having all your feeds in one list"
Me "its not an app its my people hub its part of the OS"
Guy "oh so that's that new facebook skin then"
Me "sorry I think your confusing this phone with android, this is a windows 8 phone"
Guy "ah that explains it then windows 8 has no apps right"
Me "Not true I have all the apps I need"
Guy "That's not what I heard you've not got instagram"
Me "Nope no instagram"
Guy "haha sucks to be you"
Me "Dude look at me, Do I look like the kind of person that would take pictures of my food or some random crap add a filter to it then post it up for the world to see"
Guy "No probably not"
2 minutes uninterrupted
Guy "So that phones pretty heavy right you look like you go to the gym guess you need to with that phone"
Me "No that would be the nokia 920 which actually weighs the same as your iphone4 in the otterbox case you've got it in"
Guy "That's not what I heard"
Me "I think its probably best you don't listen to everything you hear. You might not sound like an ***** more often"
Guy "Hey man your the ***** with the phone with no apps"
Me "Indeed"
Uninterrupted for about 5 mins. By this time ive finished with my people feed and am now doing a quick bit of work on a spreadsheet in excel.
Guy "Hey ive got an app for excel on my phone"
Me "This isn't an app its part of the OS, Office is built into the phone. I haven't got any apps remember"
Guy "Looks pretty hard to work on though that small"
Me "How do you manage with a smaller screen than me then"
Guy "Oh I don't use excel on my phone ive just got the app"
Me "Guess I'm still the ***** then"
Guy "you said it"
Uninterrupted for a couple of minutes finish what im doing and flick back to my home screen.
The guy next to me is messaging his friend and these were his exact words.
"Sat next to an ***** on the train with a windows phone. Just completely owned him with my iphone"

It does make me wonder how these people actually manage to make it through a day.

I am an Apple fan especially love their hardware design and simplicity , support and service but these kind of users make me feel bad

Here's an incident :
3 Years back :
He had symbian device , Androids weren't popular and I had iPod Touch running iOS. (EDIT : an a nokia feature phone too)
Him : Why u got an iPod Touch instead u could have gotten a decent phone
Me : Nah I don't want symbian (remember N97 ?)
I showed him lots of apps and even angry birds app which arrived newly (no other platform had it back then) and he was impressed and even touch screen he liked it better than others.
Him : Well , Its a decent device but expensive (I will be honest , back at that time , it was the best device with apps and games after 3GS but then lot of devices arrived by the time iPhone 4 came into the market)

Present :
We met after long gap and then after talking about things and getting each other updated about things , I finally said that I am going to buy first smartphone

Him : Get an iPhone , its so nice and probably the best (The same guy who didn't like iOS 3 years back)

Me : I wanted to go for Note 2 or Lumia 920

Him : They are waste , All x,y,z etc friends (i don't want to mention any names) are having iPhones , Android devies are cheap plastic , and didn't like apps/games And WP has no decent apps/games

Me : Well , I used iOS 2 years more than you did (and we both smiled) I also have iPad 3rd gen , which is newer than the iPhone 4S you have , So I made my decision after having good thought and don't want iOS for a phone.Most probably going to get Lumia , Already upgraded to Windows 8 on desktop as well.

Him : iPhone gives royal look and amazing feel , you have lot of accessories to it , Why hesitation to get an iPhone ?

Me : If I want an iPhone , I need 64 GB and it costs like $1200 to get one , I can adjust with 32GB if situation is very tight but not going to get anything less than 32 GB , So I need to spend $1000 atleast minimum.

Him : Come on , You can purchase an iPhone 5 , I know price is not a big deal for you.

Me : We got iPad 64GB Cellular in home because everyone use it not just me and it had gestures but iPhone has home button problems , lot of people who had iPhone for 2 years are facing home button problems and spending more money to fix the button and why get such a device which has limited storage , non removable battery and expensive one ? I heard black iPhone has Paint issues (Build quality is ****)

Him : Well , Its your wish but i recommend u to get a 4S or iPhone 5.

After 3 years , he probably going to get a WP and ditch iOS and realize it ^^ (He is always a slow adaptor)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I used to be the biggest Apple ****** in the world. This was before the 4S came out and everyone had iPhones.

Then I saw the light and color out of the dark iCave.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This thread is great. Some comedy gold moments reading through.

Couple of mornings ago on the train to work im sat down with my 8x reading through my people feed catching up on everything from overnight. Got a guy next to me with an iphone4 or 4s (cant tell the difference :wink:) Conversation went like this.

Guy "Hey is that the new HTC One phone"
Me " Nah Had this about 4 months"
Guy " Oh looks pretty new"
30 sec pause
Guy "What app is that your running looks pretty sweet having all your feeds in one list"
Me "its not an app its my people hub its part of the OS"
Guy "oh so that's that new facebook skin then"
Me "sorry I think your confusing this phone with android, this is a windows 8 phone"
Guy "ah that explains it then windows 8 has no apps right"
Me "Not true I have all the apps I need"
Guy "That's not what I heard you've not got instagram"
Me "Nope no instagram"
Guy "haha sucks to be you"
Me "Dude look at me, Do I look like the kind of person that would take pictures of my food or some random crap add a filter to it then post it up for the world to see"
Guy "No probably not"
2 minutes uninterrupted
Guy "So that phones pretty heavy right you look like you go to the gym guess you need to with that phone"
Me "No that would be the nokia 920 which actually weighs the same as your iphone4 in the otterbox case you've got it in"
Guy "That's not what I heard"
Me "I think its probably best you don't listen to everything you hear. You might not sound like an ***** more often"
Guy "Hey man your the ***** with the phone with no apps"
Me "Indeed"
Uninterrupted for about 5 mins. By this time ive finished with my people feed and am now doing a quick bit of work on a spreadsheet in excel.
Guy "Hey ive got an app for excel on my phone"
Me "This isn't an app its part of the OS, Office is built into the phone. I haven't got any apps remember"
Guy "Looks pretty hard to work on though that small"
Me "How do you manage with a smaller screen than me then"
Guy "Oh I don't use excel on my phone ive just got the app"
Me "Guess I'm still the ***** then"
Guy "you said it"
Uninterrupted for a couple of minutes finish what im doing and flick back to my home screen.
The guy next to me is messaging his friend and these were his exact words.
"Sat next to an ***** on the train with a windows phone. Just completely owned him with my iphone"

It does make me wonder how these people actually manage to make it through a day.

I would have shouted apple ****** at him so loud the whole train would have turned around. Either that or asked how long he has used windows phone.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would have shouted apple ****** at him so loud the whole train would have turned around. Either that or asked how long he has used windows phone.

Thing was he didn't come across as a ****** - just more of a uneducated simpleton - he clearly had an yearning for an android device but had just picked up on things his friends had told him. I think the fact that I shut him down after the instagram comment just made him want to come back for more and I was quite condescending when I told him not to listen to everything he hears. I used the same tone as I do when my little girl has been naughty - no full grown twenty something wants to be spoke to like that.

It did amuse me though.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Almost everyone of my friend have tried my phone and find it cool. Yet find reasons to not buying a WP.
Most of them just want to be 'safe'. That's the exact word many have given me. I've to agree with them as myself has recommended many non-tech people to just get an iPhone and done with. To be honest, I don't want them to come back and ask me why one or other app is not available.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I used to be the biggest Apple ****** in the world. This was before the 4S came out and everyone had iPhones.

Then I saw the light and color out of the dark iCave.

Same here. In the past I owned an iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S. I also had a MBP (later traded for a MBA), and I had the iPad 2 and then upgraded it to the 3. I was definitely completely entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. But when Windows Phone 7 first came out, I was intrigued. I loaded it up on my HD2 I had kept around for tinkering with Android. When Mango rolled around, I decided to make the jump and buy the Radar. I loved it. And then this past November, I swapped my iPad for a Surface RT and I haven't looked back. And while my Vaio runs Win8, I still use my MBA as my daily driver. But I can definitely say MS did something right as I replaced my Apple mobile devices with Windows 8 RT/Windows Phone. I still prefer my Mac for my computer, but I would never trade my Surface or 8X for anything. (though I would consider swapping my 8X for the Nokia Catwalk when it is released)

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I wished I had these kind of experience, I would own them so hardcore but unfortunately everyone takes my advice / words. Been converting since 2012

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Today on a bus a friend i haven't seen in years got chatting to me. My phone rung and after answering it and hanging up my friend laughed out loud and said, "ha ha my god, a Nokia, how ancient is that!!"
He noticed the Nokia name at the top of my 6 weeks old Nokia Lumia 620. I told him its a new phone out and i went on and showed him some of its features including cinema graph. He was amazed he said it was smoother than his iphone and wouldn't believe me that it was just ?129 to buy out right. He thought it was a contract phone that you had to partially pay for and pay a ton of money monthly.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I wished I had these kind of experience, I would own them so hardcore but unfortunately everyone takes my advice / words. Been converting since 2012

:)

Ya, I have converted 15 people into getting windows phones, and some got another windows phone because their contract ran up. My grandma had a Dvp, then got the red 920.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
:)

Ya, I have converted 15 people into getting windows phones, and some got another windows phone because their contract ran up. My grandma had a Dvp, then got the red 920.
I was about to brag about how many people I've convinced to buy Windows Phones, but then I realized none of them bought one...but on the bright side for Nokia, they're aiming for the 920!

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Got another one the other day from a co-worker... I know you can afford an iphone5, why did you go with THAT phone? (emphasis THAT)

Somehow that loaded question somehow implied 1) Iphone is the best based on price. 2) Cellphone snobbery 3) iSheep indoctrination 4) Elitism (fanboyism- see 2)

I responded It was the best phone for ME. It's fun for me and my kids. IOS has matured, but is showing the same boring, dated UI, and novelty is gone. IiPhone 5 added an extra row for icons? Big whoop! also having an Iphone no longer has class distinction, which I was inferring.

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Me and a friend (she uses an S3) were walking. Then my batchmate who loves showing off his iPhone 5 (it's filled with useless crap and it lags) saw my 8S and said, ew, that is the ugliest case I have ever seen. He said I think my iPhone is even faster than the S3 of my friend. So then he said that it is faster and he got my phone, and he said haha, this is just a video, that's why it's fast.

-facepalm-

The next week my classmate who uses the S3 got a pink 620. She loves it. (9th person converted to WP)

But in the tablet side, it was more funny. My classmate booted his all new iPad 4 and showed off his "retina display" by playing Candy Crush.
So I took my Surface Pro out, launched TF2 and then literally dropped the surface on his iPad.
He still said "there's no candy crush on this."

ISheep in my school everywhere.

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Those moments when someone's at your house, and you go to plug your Windows Phone (8) into your Windows 8 PC, and they ask:

"That's a Windows Phone, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Does it work with Windows?"

Those moments.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, after I took some pics (which are gorgeous thanks to 720), someone told me my phone looks awesome and asked if it is really Nokia or just a rip off.

Some people are still ignorant of Lumia. :/

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Me and a friend (she uses an S3) were walking. Then my batchmate who loves showing off his iPhone 5 (it's filled with useless crap and it lags) saw my 8S and said, ew, that is the ugliest case I have ever seen. He said I think my iPhone is even faster than the S3 of my friend. So then he said that it is faster and he got my phone, and he said haha, this is just a video, that's why it's fast.

-facepalm-

The next week my classmate who uses the S3 got a pink 620. She loves it. (9th person converted to WP)

But in the tablet side, it was more funny. My classmate booted his all new iPad 4 and showed off his "retina display" by playing Candy Crush.
So I took my Surface Pro out, launched TF2 and then literally dropped the surface on his iPad.
He still said "there's no candy crush on this."

ISheep in my school everywhere.

Couldn't you load up the web version of candy crush?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any...well actually I just remember one from a carrier store. The MANAGER asked, " why do you want a Windows Phone when a Galaxy SIII is so much better? Not that he should have just tried to sell any phone so he could have a sale, but no convince me that one of the products you're selling is not sufficient...i guess I wasn't surprised, but I did leave the store without purchasing anything!

On the contrary, a stranger commented, "That's a beautiful phone!" and a relative of mine that thought that Android phones were the only 'real' phones out there says, "Oh my God I want this phone!!!" each time I let her hold it. (Yes, I said let...) ;)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, after I took some pics (which are gorgeous thanks to 720), someone told me my phone looks awesome and asked if it is really Nokia or just a rip off.

Some people are still ignorant of Lumia. :/

I think what they meant was that there are a lot of knock off Lumias (on eBay and other sites). So I think they may have been asking if it was the real deal. :)

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I had someone look over at my at my phone recently and they said, that phone is beautiful, how did you get it to look like that..
They had an Android and hadn't seen a Windows Phone.
I'm still surprised that people have never seen Live Tiles as the phones are advertised alot on UK television.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb