What's the Stupidest thing you have had said or asked about your Windows phone?

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have two tales to share.

Firstly , a common misconception is that windows hone is basically windows running on smartphones. This is thought by ninety nine percent of people i meet. They keep calling it windows 8 or something like that
they do not know the difference, and think it is as susceptible to viruses are the early versions of windows were.

Secondly, some people i have met think that windows phone does not allow you to share files via Bluetooth.
Or how about "You don't even get iTunes" ... YOU CAN USE ITUNES BUT YOU DON'T /HAVE TO/. Itunes, by what I know, is 193 kbps, which is what I call, low quality.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what he would think of members of Linux User Groups.

There are no Microsoft User Groups here, but I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups.
If my boss knew that I'd once used Linux his head would spin. I actually took a Unix class for my OS requirement for my degree just so that I could tinker with Unix/Linux for a while. Dual booted my PC back around 2005 or so.

The only Microsoft-related Meetups here are those at the Microsoft Store, but those are useless for power users. I don't need to learn how to use Windows or Office, don't care about Xbox, and don't have kids (so no interest in Tech Tots).
Are there people in the area that would participate if there were one (or are you not interested in MSUG?). If you were to start one up, you could seek sponsorship from Pluralsight, Telerik, and others. One of the UGs that I'm in gives away two Pluralsight one-month subscription cards and a Telerik DevCraft Complete every month. Those are nice perks. I believe Pluralsight also gives group organizers a free annual subscription, though I could be wrong on that one.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If my boss knew that I'd once used Linux his head would spin. I actually took a Unix class for my OS requirement for my degree just so that I could tinker with Unix/Linux for a while. Dual booted my PC back around 2005 or so.

Are there people in the area that would participate if there were one (or are you not interested in MSUG?). If you were to start one up, you could seek sponsorship from Pluralsight, Telerik, and others. One of the UGs that I'm in gives away two Pluralsight one-month subscription cards and a Telerik DevCraft Complete every month. Those are nice perks. I believe Pluralsight also gives group organizers a free annual subscription, though I could be wrong on that one.

I'd be interested in something related to Pluralsight but not Telerik. I'm not a developer, and I don't want to hang out with a group made up of only developers. However, I just checked out Pluralsight, and that looks like more of a general IT group, which would be my preference.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested in something related to Pluralsight but not Telerik. I'm not a developer, and I don't want to hang out with a group made up of only developers. However, I just checked out Pluralsight, and that looks like more of a general IT group, which would be my preference.

Pluralsight is pretty nice. Telerik held a thing for building Windows 8 apps near where I live. It was ok. Their controls are decent, although I find their html/css/js controls a little over done. Their CSS is a pain to overwrite with your own styles.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Pluralsight is pretty nice. Telerik held a thing for building Windows 8 apps near where I live. It was ok. Their controls are decent, although I find their html/css/js controls a little over done. Their CSS is a pain to overwrite with your own styles.
I signed up for one web design course (elective--not required). HTML/CSS gave me such a headache that I dropped the course.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm on iphone 5 while my 1520 charges and I honestly can't see the appeal with these tiny uninspired devices. If it weren't for all the apps, the iphone marketshare would be at BB levels. Come on, hurry up and charge 1520, I'm getting withdrawal lol.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I signed up for one web design course (elective--not required). HTML/CSS gave me such a headache that I dropped the course.

lol, ya HTML/CSS is not very logical. The things you have to do for what would seem a simple task, is sometimes overly complex. But the syntax is clean and simple. As a web designer, I just naturally grew into over the past few years. I got tired of developers completely messing up my designs, so I started doing the mark up myself.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Pluralsight started out for developers, but this year they have acquired several other companies, so their offerings are more broad now.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My two coworkers who have blackberry z10's said: "we've only used .16 GB of data on our plan" same two: "phones are for talking and our corporate email".

I kinda agree with them, the z10 has next to no apps anyway so talking and corporate email is about all they are good for!!

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Even lot of android users say similar things and so do blackberry users.

Its mindset created in people in general about WP due to lack of awareness.

It's not lack of awareness, some of those questions are pure ignorance and stupidity.
But I guess that's what happens when you give someone who can't even use Word on a PC a Smartphone, and all they can do is utilize 10% of its functionality; and when they see any other Smartphone their head explodes because they can't comprehend that other smartphones have functions they often don't even know their own phone has as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Your teacher must have been terrible because HTML/CSS should not be that hard, and if they seem hard it's the teachers fault.

It was an online course. I never met the instructor.

It was too time consuming to do line after line of code and then check how it looked. Inserting images and changing colours of text/background took a long time too.

I I ever HAD to create a website, I'd use Dreamweaver or pay someone else to do it. It's not something I would ever do from scratch, given that it's a time-consuming drudgery to me. I'd rather have a root canal than design a website.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It was an online course. I never met the instructor.

It was too time consuming to do line after line of code and then check how it looked. Inserting images and changing colours of text/background took a long time too.

I I ever HAD to create a website, I'd use Dreamweaver or pay someone else to do it. It's not something I would ever do from scratch, given that it's a time-consuming drudgery to me. I'd rather have a root canal than design a website.

lol. I've created a custom responsive framework. So most of the websites I build share much of the same code. Also, fancy text editors like Sublime Text, or even Visual Studio make coding much faster with auto complete, etc.

But if you aren't interested in building sites, it's certainly not going to be exciting to learn just for the hell of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss