04-14-2013 08:34 AM
115 12345
tools
    But wasn't there already a phone that featured face book already? It was such a success.

http://an.droid-life.com/wp-content/...htc-status.jpg
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex
    Having a Facebook button does not constitute a Facebook phone.
    04-05-2013 05:03 AM
    I've seen many people complain about the FB on WP. Could u care to tell u what exactly is wrong.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    Honestly the list is too long for me to write but here's the gist of it
    • Built-in Messaging is almost completely broken. No offline messaging, no group messaging, no picture sharing, no nothing. It's a sham and people keep falling for it.
    • The messaging in the app is even more dreadful. It's not real time. The inbox refreshes automatically after ever 8-10 seconds. I remember my Sony Ericsson feature phone did IM like this almost 7 years ago.
    • The app has terrible performance and looks garbage. Yes it has the fancy metro interface but looks nothing like Facebook.com. The massive Facebook logo on top takes like half the space. There are no timelines. It's visually almost the same app that was released in 2010. That's 3 years ago.
    • Notifications? What notifications? Sorry, they don't work, at all.

Again, that's just about 10% of what's wrong with the app. Start using the app and you'll find thousands of small things that are either missing/bug ridden/slow and it really ruins the experience. Suffice to say if you're big on Facebook, stay away from a Windows Phone.
    Rndomuser likes this.
    04-05-2013 05:10 AM
    I don't have facebook 😈
    palandri likes this.
    04-05-2013 05:14 AM
    You would have to be very sad to turn around and say "No, I don't want a Galaxy S3, I don't want a windows phone, nor and iphone or blackberry. I want a facebook phone".
    Just no. Facebook is getting so bad these days, what with the stupid and irritating "like" obsessed wanna be asking you to like this photo if you love you gran ??? !!! But to have a phone centred around it !! ??
    04-05-2013 05:48 AM
    Again, that's just about 10% of what's wrong with the app. Start using the app and you'll find thousands of small things that are either missing/bug ridden/slow and it really ruins the experience. Suffice to say if you're big on Facebook, stay away from a Windows Phone.
    I'm massive on Facebook and use a WP device. Sure, it has it's shortfalls but it isn't a no WP for me thing. And I do fanpage management as part of my stuff on Facebook (okay that really needs fixing)
    04-05-2013 06:11 AM
    It's a good thing imo, we need more OS's to push the existing ones to improve their services. Wp8 sure has a TON of annoying things android doesnt, if they fix that..it's a SOLID OS. Till then I'd like to see a few more OS come out :)
    04-05-2013 12:38 PM
    I am still betting the phone will be a data hog.
    04-05-2013 12:48 PM
    I don't have facebook 😈
    Neither do I. I got rid of it 3 years ago.
    palandri and WavingReds like this.
    04-05-2013 01:51 PM
    I've seen many people complain about the FB on WP. Could u care to tell u what exactly is wrong.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    When you hide someone from your news feed on the browser, that setting doesn't transfer over to the app. Since I've hidden maybe 60% of my friends (I still like these people and chat with them, but I don't want to see 10,000 pics of their kids every day) and 100% of the company pages that I like, that equates to a ton of noise and extra scrolling through irrelevant content when I'm using the app. I've switched to touch.facebook.com through WebApps for this reason alone. As was stated before, no system-wide notifications is a problem, but that's more an issue with the lack of notification center in WP8 - hopefully will be fixed in Blue. There's also an issue (not that this comes up a lot) where you can't view more than 100 comments on a post in the app. It doesn't even show the most recent 100 - it gives you the first 100 and then stops.
    04-05-2013 02:19 PM
    Google must be ******* in the pants right now if the following CNBC article holds any water...
    Facebook Phone Means Huge Problems for Google

Sorry ! Simply can't resist myself not sharing another article...
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c28...urce=pulsenews
    Last edited by robinleck; 04-05-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    04-05-2013 03:20 PM
    You look at this and you see just how far ahead of its time WP7 was.
    That is what WebOS users say about their OS, people always remember the actual winner* not the innovator.

* which shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of facebook spy home.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-2013 03:28 PM
    Neither do I. I got rid of it 3 years ago.
    I like that idea!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-2013 04:22 PM
    sorry guys, but when i read this at GSMArena saying FB Home won't support Android notifications (except for HTC Fail) i HAD to make a special thread for it LOL
    here is how it will work:

If you decide to replace your default Android launcher with Facebook Home, you will lose all Android notifications in favor of Facebook-only ones. As it turns out the Facebook launcher doesn’t play that nice with the Android OS and won’t handle the call, SMS/MMS, email, Google Play, events, app-related, etc. notifications. Bummer!

You will be able to access those of course, but you’ll need to close the launcher if you want to see what’s actually happening outside the social network.

This huge drawback applies only for the downloadable Facebook Home launcher. HTC has provided Facebook with an API for the Android notifications and they’ll all pop up on the HTC First.
    Source: GSM Arena

Get notifications where you need them
    Notifications about calls, events, Facebook updates and other apps appear on your home screen and stick around until you need them. Profile pictures and app icons make it easy to see what’s what. Tap the stuff you’re into, swipe away the stuff you’re not.
    All notifications are available on the HTC First. The free Home download includes Facebook notifications
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/home

so as you can see, except for the "Facebook Phone", if you download the FBH on any of the other supported Droids, you will NOT be able to see notifications, even the most basic ones like calls and sms!! is it CLEAR now where FB wants to go with this?
    it seems they want to completely take over the phone...if you use their Home, you can only see THEIR notifications! wanna check if you had a call from your family or even from work? well, not while using FBH! seriously, i think this will be the fail of the year once pplz realize they are losing the most basic notifications so FB can "rule the house"!
    i can't possibly imagine how many calls/sms (among other stuff) pplz who use this thing will lose! eventually, having to go in/out of the app just to check it will annoy even the hardcore FB users and they'll end up uninstalling it!

i think this is where WP wins :D we have an awesome basic social integration, and the FB we have is a lot more subtle! whenever i want to check my news feeds, i just go to People Hub, it's quick and painless! i can like/comment on my friends post, i can update my status, upload pics from my albums, check-ins and even use FB Messenger! all of this w/o the need of an app and w/o losing the ability to see all my basic notifications! i think THIS is what true social integration is all about! it just feels natural, just feels native to the OS and not something "forced" down on you! and don't even get me started on the adds thing lol
    ofc this basic stuff won't be enough for hardcore users, but whenever i wanna check my groups for example, i'm using Webapps and have FB pinned on my home screen! it's just as quick as using People Hub! i also think there are room for improvements (notifications) but i think MS will adress this issues in the next major update! still, WP social integration nails it!

this just made FBH completely useless! LOL
    oh and having to spend monies on the HTC First JUST so you can have access to the most basic notifications is another useless thing!

p.s: i don't really know how it is possible for FBH to disable Android notifications...but since it is specified in the official FBH website, i don't think this is a lie!

additional source: Pocket-lint
    Last edited by nessinhaw; 04-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    robinleck likes this.
    04-05-2013 05:13 PM
    The top bar of android will still be available to view the notifications. The statement that notifications aren't available applies to the fact that you won't see them on the screen as balloons like you will see the facebook notifications. So it's not that much a fail. I think it will get traction and be a success after all.
    04-05-2013 05:35 PM
    Where exactly is it said you won't receive notifications for your regular SMS messages? Cause I am reading you will receive notifications and that there will actually be a distinction between FB messages and SMS messages
    04-05-2013 05:38 PM
    Windows Phone fans seem to be more concerned about Facebook Home than Android fans. Trust me if they make a list of 'fails' of Windows Phone it'll be a damn huge list. Let's stick to our OS maybe?
    04-05-2013 05:40 PM
    Windows Phone fans seem to be more concerned about Facebook Home than Android fans. Trust me if they make a list of 'fails' of Windows Phone it'll be a damn huge list. Let's stick to our OS maybe?
    I don't see the problem of what was discussed here to justify such a reaction. It's normal for users from all OSs to be opinionated about the facebook move.
    04-05-2013 05:49 PM
    I don't see the problem of what was discussed here to justify such a reaction. It's normal for users from all OSs to be opinionated about the facebook move.
    All I see here is mocking without actually even using the damn thing.
    04-05-2013 05:51 PM
    because they have the right to judge on something like everybody does. freedom of speech man. but trolling are for idiots.
    04-05-2013 05:54 PM
    umm, just about everyone thinks this Facebook thing is whack. My coworkers who have Android or iPhone also think it's whacky.

The reason why WP users are more thrown off by this thing is Facebook is trying to male an absurd claim that they are first to put People first etc. Basically, they are trying to grab credit for something WP has touted since day one and was the core design philosophy while developing Windows Phone.

So cry me a river if we sound a little more hostile. If it bothers you so much why show up to the thread at all?
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    04-05-2013 05:58 PM
    Based on the available information they arrived at some conclusions. As I stated that notifications stuff is a misinterpretation but an easy one to be made. But once you arrive at a conclusion(even based on a misinterpretation) it's normal to be surprised by the perceived removal of notifications on existing android phones.
    04-05-2013 06:03 PM
    I don't really have a feeling either way. I mean, it seems interesting. And I am an avid Facebook user. But I don't have an Android phone. So its really just a wait and see from actual user feedback to see how this shakes out.
    04-05-2013 06:09 PM
    Where exactly is it said you won't receive notifications for your regular SMS messages? Cause I am reading you will receive notifications and that there will actually be a distinction between FB messages and SMS messages
    it is stated on FB website itself? in my understanding, only HTC First will have FULL system notifications support!
    04-05-2013 06:12 PM
    umm, just about everyone thinks this Facebook thing is whack. My coworkers who have Android or iPhone also think it's whacky.
    I believe that facebook will surprise everyone here. Facebook has delivered nice user interface for their web site and good experience while inside the app(the apps they made not the MS app on windows phone I won't comment there). I believe they will simplify the android experience and most of the casual users of smartphones will really appreciate this.

And there is the fact that they minimize the google presence(first was Samsung trying to do this now comes facebook). There are a lot of implications. What maps platform will facebook use? Will it go with the control for maps using the google maps(providing them with additional information for their database) will they use bing maps cutting google even more from data mining locations for their maps services? What happens on the HTC First with the adds from apps? Will facebook block the adds that google serve since they integrate more in the core os and the app has root access they can now completely block any kind of google ads by simply blocking internet access to the google adds platform and I don't think that this violates anything pertaining to the use of android. Will they revolutionize the way the ads are served by providing near your gps positions adds getting there faster than google on their own platform providing value to customers and irritating them less?

Maybe not on the first iteration but I believe that facebook got itself in a really powerful position here hijacking android since users I believe will appreciate the simpler to use interface and it's beauty and personal nature.

I truly believe everyone is underestimating the importance of the facebook home. Either by not looking more in to this or trying as hard as possible to minimize it's importance.
    04-05-2013 06:14 PM
    it is stated on FB website itself? in my understanding, only HTC First will have FULL system notifications support!
    Full notification support on home page. This means you will get notifications in the standard android top bar but not on the home screen like you will for the facebook notifications. The android bar is still there so it will still receive notifications.
    04-05-2013 06:15 PM
115 12345