Facebook Phone? Facepalm.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the HTC Status was such a phenomenal success for HTC and Facebook, they needed to release another FB-centered phone to quell the rioting masses.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they don't acknowledge windows phone doesn't exist tho, simply because of the first photo Zuckerberg showed in his presentation. Showed all OS'. I doubt it means they'll make an official app, but im pretty sure they realize windows phone exists now as a good third place because, I don't see no blackberry on there ;)

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Android at all, but I had no idea what was going on when I was watching the video The Verge posted. Seems very confusing to me. Granted, I'm not the biggest FB user ever, but WP's implementation of FB suits my needs fine... I do wish messaging were better, though.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Man, I have to agree with the OP. Facebook phone? Seriously? You ain't never been that important that someone would want to OWN what is basically a chat room phone on a two year agreement. Zuckerberg ain't even cool anymore. What's next MySpace Phone?

Could a Twitter phone, HSM phone or QVC Phone be far off?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, its not like an actual phone you'll be tied to for two years. From what it sounds like, you are using your existing device (if it supports it) and just merely replacing the UI with the Home app

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, its not like an actual phone you'll be tied to for two years. From what it sounds like, you are using your existing device (if it supports it) and just merely replacing the UI with the Home app

Well, if that's it, its not really a Facebook phone. I read this like it was a phone but is just another stupid android launcher. Making it even more boring and lame.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, if that's it, its not really a Facebook phone. I read this like it was a phone but is just another stupid android launcher. Making it even more boring and lame.

Its like they have launched two things:

1) Facebook home launcher: This comes on all latest Samsung and HTC devices (NEXUS missing !) as a launcher

2) Facebook Phone: One HTC First that has this custom launcher in built or something more , not sure.

So yeah Facebook phone is not a myth

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah kind of dumb to come out with a FB device only thing I can think of this is a way to help out HTC some but more so FB to try to rebound some of the loss they took once they went Public.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Its like they have launched two things:

1) Facebook home launcher: This comes on all latest Samsung and HTC devices (NEXUS missing !) as a launcher

2) Facebook Phone: One HTC First that has this custom launcher in built or something more , not sure.

So yeah Facebook phone is not a myth

I don't think they are considering the HTC First an actual "Facebook Phone." I hear Facebook Phone and immediately think of a phone with a FB OS built in. Yes, it comes preloaded with Facebook Home and a much richer experience it seems than one would have by downloading the app onto their Galaxy S3. But its still, first and foremost, an Android based phone at heart.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC is slowly and steadily moving towards its end. They are not the best of both worlds i.e. Android and Windows. They have poor after sales service and a very bad resale value!. In Android, Samsung is best while in Windows Phone, Nokia owns the best spot. Where is HTC?

Ticomfreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually think Facebook home was absolutely beautiful, albeit they should open API's up to allow for apps to integrate into it, and was not a rip-off UI wise of Windows Phone like stock Android is now-a-days. But at $99, the Lumia 920 is a far better deal.

You guys should also realize that this is a big slap in the face for Google, which is a good thing for us right now anticompetitive pieces of ****. I think one of my FB friend put it together perfectly (this was in response to me asking why all the FB home hate:)

"Think about it...If they can overcome Google inertia by supplanting Android with a front-end who will gain control of the advertising....Facebook of course and that is the name of the game, so then why wouldn't Google pull out all the stops and push the tech media to talk it down. Facebook has tricked Google at its own game. It will be interesting to see if Facebook begins to add more and more features to their front-end to wall off the revenue from Google."

Sean D.

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
If HTC did more on the software side and created actual unique, usable stand-out apps they would be doing just fine on WP. The whole giant clock, and over bearing weather updates is tired as ****. And it's the same things they've been doing since Windows Mobile 6.x. It's like if they can't slap an old-*** skin on an existing UI they have no idea what to do. Offer people something more than a big-*** clock, a cute little rainy cloud animation and a level app and more people would buy their WP devices because they wouldn't feel as "left out" as they do now.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If HTC did more on the software side and created actual unique, usable stand-out apps they would be doing just fine on WP. The whole giant clock, and over bearing weather updates is tired as ****. And it's the same things they've been doing since Windows Mobile 6.x. It's like if they can't slap an old-*** skin on an existing UI they have no idea what to do. Offer people something more than a big-*** clock, a cute little rainy cloud animation and a level app and more people would buy their WP devices because they wouldn't feel as "left out" as they do now.
Well that's an opinion, I dint feel left out as a HTC User intact, I had nothing but good experiences with my phone vs my fiances trouble with here 810 (we had to return it once and reset due to storage)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo