Facebook Phone? Facepalm.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Considering how hopeless the Facebook experience is on Windows Phone, I'm already a little envious of this 'Facebook Home'. Not to mention that unlike the joke of the app that is for WP8, Facebook has promised monthly updates.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
All this was possible because of the openness of Android. Google made an open source project to look good and to be praised for it but at the same time be free of any obligations(it's open source free not a product of someone). And they made money with it by requesting payment for access to the official market and any google apps(gmail, g+, maps, latitude, etc). So only Chinese crap phones use android without google apps the rest of the OEMs pay google and include their apps.
Now those it really matter who data mine you or who serve you adds? I believe facebook will succeed in making home viable for many users. They gathered enough data about android users through their facebook app and instagram app. So they know what apps users use and how to provide a good experience for mainstream users.

If this home changing thing becomes a trend from major companies android will collapse eventually. We all want free but tolerance to adds and realization that the more we use those big free services the more we give them the option to expand and get bigger with our data will push users to more controlled environments like iOS and wp.

And as the platform grows facebook will have no other viable option to make it's presence for windows phone but by making great apps just like in case of ios.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually think Facebook home was absolutely beautiful, albeit they should open API's up to allow for apps to integrate into it, and was not a rip-off UI wise of Windows Phone like stock Android is now-a-days. But at $99, the Lumia 920 is a far better deal.

You guys should also realize that this is a big slap in the face for Google, which is a good thing for us right now anticompetitive pieces of ****. I think one of my FB friend put it together perfectly (this was in response to me asking why all the FB home hate:)

"Think about it...If they can overcome Google inertia by supplanting Android with a front-end who will gain control of the advertising....Facebook of course and that is the name of the game, so then why wouldn't Google pull out all the stops and push the tech media to talk it down. Facebook has tricked Google at its own game. It will be interesting to see if Facebook begins to add more and more features to their front-end to wall off the revenue from Google."

Yeeup �� FB is ****ting in Google's backyard. And playing hard-to-get with Apple by not coming up with an iPhone version.
If WP can see this window of opportunity, they should go on an aggressive offensive and advertise & market how WP is the truly First Social phone.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am not a Facebook user. I wonder how much data it will eat up? Data is expensive now through AT&T.

EXACTLY my worry..i mean..all those full scree pictures r fine. But it will shoot up your data bill like anything.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Considering how hopeless the Facebook experience is on Windows Phone, I'm already a little envious of this 'Facebook Home'. Not to mention that unlike the joke of the app that is for WP8, Facebook has promised monthly updates.

I've seen many people complain about the FB on WP. Could u care to tell u what exactly is wrong.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This is for a certain audience. But I don't want to be spammed with my Facebook feeds

Yes precisely not for me too. Did I forget to mention Zuck openly agreed there will b ads. On Twitter, they put it perfectly by saying, "Its a marketing/advertising company's wet dream".

HTC is slowly and steadily moving towards its end. They are not the best of both worlds i.e. Android and Windows. They have poor after sales service and a very bad resale value!. In Android, Samsung is best while in Windows Phone, Nokia owns the best spot. Where is HTC?

I have to sadly agree in this too. HTC is awesome but these weak attempts to gain a foothold with everything and anything will only spell doom.

Not to mention, there is Jolla Sailfish,Ubuntu, Tizen and a bunch of other OS/hardware options going to clog the market soon.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC is slowly and steadily moving towards its end. They are not the best of both worlds i.e. Android and Windows. They have poor after sales service and a very bad resale value!. In Android, Samsung is best while in Windows Phone, Nokia owns the best spot. Where is HTC?
Honestly lets not even talk about resale value. You'll have an easier time selling a Nokia Symbian based phone than a Nokia Windows Phone, or any Windows Phone for that matter.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I've seen many people complain about the FB on WP. Could u care to tell u what exactly is wrong.

Honestly the list is too long for me to write but here's the gist of it
  • Built-in Messaging is almost completely broken. No offline messaging, no group messaging, no picture sharing, no nothing. It's a sham and people keep falling for it.
  • The messaging in the app is even more dreadful. It's not real time. The inbox refreshes automatically after ever 8-10 seconds. I remember my Sony Ericsson feature phone did IM like this almost 7 years ago.
  • The app has terrible performance and looks garbage. Yes it has the fancy metro interface but looks nothing like Facebook.com. The massive Facebook logo on top takes like half the space. There are no timelines. It's visually almost the same app that was released in 2010. That's 3 years ago.
  • Notifications? What notifications? Sorry, they don't work, at all.
Again, that's just about 10% of what's wrong with the app. Start using the app and you'll find thousands of small things that are either missing/bug ridden/slow and it really ruins the experience. Suffice to say if you're big on Facebook, stay away from a Windows Phone.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You would have to be very sad to turn around and say "No, I don't want a Galaxy S3, I don't want a windows phone, nor and iphone or blackberry. I want a facebook phone".
Just no. Facebook is getting so bad these days, what with the stupid and irritating "like" obsessed wanna be asking you to like this photo if you love you gran ??? !!! But to have a phone centred around it !! ??

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Again, that's just about 10% of what's wrong with the app. Start using the app and you'll find thousands of small things that are either missing/bug ridden/slow and it really ruins the experience. Suffice to say if you're big on Facebook, stay away from a Windows Phone.

I'm massive on Facebook and use a WP device. Sure, it has it's shortfalls but it isn't a no WP for me thing. And I do fanpage management as part of my stuff on Facebook (okay that really needs fixing)

Jaafar Jabbar

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a good thing imo, we need more OS's to push the existing ones to improve their services. Wp8 sure has a TON of annoying things android doesnt, if they fix that..it's a SOLID OS. Till then I'd like to see a few more OS come out :)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

When you hide someone from your news feed on the browser, that setting doesn't transfer over to the app. Since I've hidden maybe 60% of my friends (I still like these people and chat with them, but I don't want to see 10,000 pics of their kids every day) and 100% of the company pages that I like, that equates to a ton of noise and extra scrolling through irrelevant content when I'm using the app. I've switched to touch.facebook.com through WebApps for this reason alone. As was stated before, no system-wide notifications is a problem, but that's more an issue with the lack of notification center in WP8 - hopefully will be fixed in Blue. There's also an issue (not that this comes up a lot) where you can't view more than 100 comments on a post in the app. It doesn't even show the most recent 100 - it gives you the first 100 and then stops.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos