Facebook Phone? Facepalm.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You look at this and you see just how far ahead of its time WP7 was.

That is what WebOS users say about their OS, people always remember the actual winner* not the innovator.

* which shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of facebook spy home.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
FB Home will NOT support Android notifications...fail much? LOL

sorry guys, but when i read this at GSMArena saying FB Home won't support Android notifications (except for HTC Fail) i HAD to make a special thread for it LOL
here is how it will work:

If you decide to replace your default Android launcher with Facebook Home, you will lose all Android notifications in favor of Facebook-only ones. As it turns out the Facebook launcher doesn’t play that nice with the Android OS and won’t handle the call, SMS/MMS, email, Google Play, events, app-related, etc. notifications. Bummer!

You will be able to access those of course, but you’ll need to close the launcher if you want to see what’s actually happening outside the social network.

This huge drawback applies only for the downloadable Facebook Home launcher. HTC has provided Facebook with an API for the Android notifications and they’ll all pop up on the HTC First.
Source: GSM Arena

Get notifications where you need them
Notifications about calls, events, Facebook updates and other apps appear on your home screen and stick around until you need them.? Profile pictures and app icons make it easy to see what’s what. Tap the stuff you’re into, swipe away the stuff you’re not.
?All notifications are available on the HTC First. The free Home download includes Facebook notifications
Source: https://www.facebook.com/home

so as you can see, except for the "Facebook Phone", if you download the FBH on any of the other supported Droids, you will NOT be able to see notifications, even the most basic ones like calls and sms!! is it CLEAR now where FB wants to go with this?
it seems they want to completely take over the phone...if you use their Home, you can only see THEIR notifications! wanna check if you had a call from your family or even from work? well, not while using FBH! seriously, i think this will be the fail of the year once pplz realize they are losing the most basic notifications so FB can "rule the house"!
i can't possibly imagine how many calls/sms (among other stuff) pplz who use this thing will lose! eventually, having to go in/out of the app just to check it will annoy even the hardcore FB users and they'll end up uninstalling it!

i think this is where WP wins :D we have an awesome basic social integration, and the FB we have is a lot more subtle! whenever i want to check my news feeds, i just go to People Hub, it's quick and painless! i can like/comment on my friends post, i can update my status, upload pics from my albums, check-ins and even use FB Messenger! all of this w/o the need of an app and w/o losing the ability to see all my basic notifications! i think THIS is what true social integration is all about! it just feels natural, just feels native to the OS and not something "forced" down on you! and don't even get me started on the adds thing lol
ofc this basic stuff won't be enough for hardcore users, but whenever i wanna check my groups for example, i'm using Webapps and have FB pinned on my home screen! it's just as quick as using People Hub! i also think there are room for improvements (notifications) but i think MS will adress this issues in the next major update! still, WP social integration nails it!

this just made FBH completely useless! LOL
oh and having to spend monies on the HTC First JUST so you can have access to the most basic notifications is another useless thing!

p.s: i don't really know how it is possible for FBH to disable Android notifications...but since it is specified in the official FBH website, i don't think this is a lie!

additional source: Pocket-lint

Last edited:

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: FB Home will NOT support Android notifications...fail much? LOL

The top bar of android will still be available to view the notifications. The statement that notifications aren't available applies to the fact that you won't see them on the screen as balloons like you will see the facebook notifications. So it's not that much a fail. I think it will get traction and be a success after all.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Where exactly is it said you won't receive notifications for your regular SMS messages? Cause I am reading you will receive notifications and that there will actually be a distinction between FB messages and SMS messages

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Windows Phone fans seem to be more concerned about Facebook Home than Android fans. Trust me if they make a list of 'fails' of Windows Phone it'll be a damn huge list. Let's stick to our OS maybe?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Windows Phone fans seem to be more concerned about Facebook Home than Android fans. Trust me if they make a list of 'fails' of Windows Phone it'll be a damn huge list. Let's stick to our OS maybe?

I don't see the problem of what was discussed here to justify such a reaction. It's normal for users from all OSs to be opinionated about the facebook move.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I don't see the problem of what was discussed here to justify such a reaction. It's normal for users from all OSs to be opinionated about the facebook move.
All I see here is mocking without actually even using the damn thing.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

because they have the right to judge on something like everybody does. freedom of speech man. but trolling are for idiots.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

umm, just about everyone thinks this Facebook thing is whack. My coworkers who have Android or iPhone also think it's whacky.

The reason why WP users are more thrown off by this thing is Facebook is trying to male an absurd claim that they are first to put People first etc. Basically, they are trying to grab credit for something WP has touted since day one and was the core design philosophy while developing Windows Phone.

So cry me a river if we sound a little more hostile. If it bothers you so much why show up to the thread at all?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Based on the available information they arrived at some conclusions. As I stated that notifications stuff is a misinterpretation but an easy one to be made. But once you arrive at a conclusion(even based on a misinterpretation) it's normal to be surprised by the perceived removal of notifications on existing android phones.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have a feeling either way. I mean, it seems interesting. And I am an avid Facebook user. But I don't have an Android phone. So its really just a wait and see from actual user feedback to see how this shakes out.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Where exactly is it said you won't receive notifications for your regular SMS messages? Cause I am reading you will receive notifications and that there will actually be a distinction between FB messages and SMS messages

it is stated on FB website itself? in my understanding, only HTC First will have FULL system notifications support!

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

umm, just about everyone thinks this Facebook thing is whack. My coworkers who have Android or iPhone also think it's whacky.

I believe that facebook will surprise everyone here. Facebook has delivered nice user interface for their web site and good experience while inside the app(the apps they made not the MS app on windows phone I won't comment there). I believe they will simplify the android experience and most of the casual users of smartphones will really appreciate this.

And there is the fact that they minimize the google presence(first was Samsung trying to do this now comes facebook). There are a lot of implications. What maps platform will facebook use? Will it go with the control for maps using the google maps(providing them with additional information for their database) will they use bing maps cutting google even more from data mining locations for their maps services? What happens on the HTC First with the adds from apps? Will facebook block the adds that google serve since they integrate more in the core os and the app has root access they can now completely block any kind of google ads by simply blocking internet access to the google adds platform and I don't think that this violates anything pertaining to the use of android. Will they revolutionize the way the ads are served by providing near your gps positions adds getting there faster than google on their own platform providing value to customers and irritating them less?

Maybe not on the first iteration but I believe that facebook got itself in a really powerful position here hijacking android since users I believe will appreciate the simpler to use interface and it's beauty and personal nature.

I truly believe everyone is underestimating the importance of the facebook home. Either by not looking more in to this or trying as hard as possible to minimize it's importance.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

it is stated on FB website itself? in my understanding, only HTC First will have FULL system notifications support!

Full notification support on home page. This means you will get notifications in the standard android top bar but not on the home screen like you will for the facebook notifications. The android bar is still there so it will still receive notifications.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Based on the available information they arrived at some conclusions. As I stated that notifications stuff is a misinterpretation but an easy one to be made. But once you arrive at a conclusion(even based on a misinterpretation) it's normal to be surprised by the perceived removal of notifications on existing android phones.

well i just collected the information and gave my opinion lol that's why i made a "p.s" asking how is it possible for FB to disable/hide system notifications...but since it is stated in their official website only HTC First will have full support for system notifications and the downloadable version will only feature "facebook notifications" i came to the same conclusion as GSMArena and Pocket-link!
also the FBH screenshots provided at the official website are very confusing...some show the app covering the entirety of the screen, some show the status bar...i think FB should have made itself more clear about this matter, since all the info so far are somewhat confusing and misleading!

so yeah, perhaps not only me but GSMArena, Pocket-link and all the others who believe FB won't show system notifications were mislead but this is kinda of FB fault for making things a bit confusing!
well, if this turns out not to be true, it will surely be adressed by those websites! afterall, the truth always comes out at some point lol

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Any android app can hijack SMS notifications. And by doing so Facebook will be able to make distionction between them. The missing notifications from the home screen(not from the android top bar) is referring to 3rd party notifications(games, instagram, or any other app that sends notifications to android). Mail, SMS, phone notifications you can hijack so those I believe that will be available on homescreen for all versions. Only 3rd party notifications can be be available there just on the HTC First or any other OEM smartphone that integrates facebook from factory.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

well i just collected the information and gave my opinion lol that's why i made a "p.s" asking how is it possible for FB to disable/hide system notifications...but since it is stated in their official website only HTC First will have full support for system notifications and the downloadable version will only feature "facebook notifications" i came to the same conclusion as GSMArena and Pocket-link!
also the FBH screenshots provided at the official website are very confusing...some show the app covering the entirety of the screen, some show the status bar...i think FB should have made itself more clear about this matter, since all the info so far are somewhat confusing and misleading!

so yeah, perhaps not only me but GSMArena, Pocket-link and all the others who believe FB won't show system notifications were mislead but this is kinda of FB fault for making things a bit confusing!
well, if this turns out to be not true, it will surely be adressed by those websites! afterall, the truth always comes out at some point lol

You are absolutely right :). But by not being clear look at how much discussions this generates. The viral marketing they manage to create with their misleading photos(they are for the purpose of looking good not to make sense of the functionality anyway) and not clearly stated information. The casual user won't care anyway. And I believe the press is trying to capitalize on this confusion and not looking to hard on the problem.

And I still think everyone is underestimating this facebook move or tries to minimize it's impact.

Edit: the pocket-lint article just states what I just said earlier that 3rd party notifications will be available in android top bar. Of course the article only relied the facebook answer and did not clearly explained it. They actually after the explanation give the information from the facebook page and interpreted as they wanted to grab attention and to fuel discussions. The answer was clear but was then commented out of context.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm not talking about the idea of the phone. I'm talking about people b*****g about the functionality, like the guy above talking about notifications. A few called it laggy. All without using it; or seeing any hands on video of it (I saw one and didn't notice any lag).

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm not talking about the idea of the phone. I'm talking about people b*****g about the functionality, like the guy above talking about notifications. A few called it laggy. All without using it; or seeing any hands on video of it (I saw one and didn't notice any lag).

About this notification stuff it's not he's fault. The media is making it confusing for their own purpose. Or they simply refuse to get it even if the answer from facebook was very clear(with a bit of marketing for htc of course).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss