04-26-2013 08:23 PM
29 12
tools
    Android is a good product but its openness will be one of the reason for its demise. The experience is not the same for all its products. Its like a dish with lots of cooks/chefs. Variety is good but sometimes having standards is better.
    04-22-2013 09:11 AM
    The experience is not the same for all its products.
    This. Android is good only in the very high end. The mid to low range devices are just so sluggish and painful to use after a while. $170 and you can get a buttery smooth experience with a Lumia 520. I think those are the markets windows phone should target for now. WP8 really is the best smartphone experience you can get at low prices, and hopefully the market begins to realise that. I think Nokia believes this is the case with their 529/620/720 releases which are all great phones.

Once the user base increases then the apps will come, Microsoft will hopefully add the missing features (notification centre anyone?) to the OS and we'll start to see WP8 competing at all fronts. That's if they can finally stop playing catchup in the hardware department too.

It'll be interesting to see how things are in a couple years.
    04-22-2013 09:38 AM
    I've read that Android is good only on "High end" and that the user experience is horrible on lesser hardware, which is true. To me, high end means the whole experience as a whole. Highend androids are like Ferrari's, some are good looking, fast, and comes with all the bells and whistles, but gets horrible gas mileage (v12/quad core), requires more maintenance (poor optimization, openness, security holes), and can easily fall apart, (some).

Windows Phone to me is like a Entry to mid segment Mercedes. Gets good gas mileage, have features others don't, looks fantastic and is one of the most reliable vehicles you can have.

Sorry for the bad analogy, but you get the picture.
    04-22-2013 10:10 AM
    The main problem is that the OEM Android UIs are the cause of the sluggishness/lag in many cases, just like the bloatware PC OEMs install that ruins the Windows experience.

Unfortunately, this is what has to be done (Bloatware) to get OEMS on board...
    04-26-2013 08:23 PM
29 12