Why I am quitting android and moving to windows after 1 year of use

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if WP is more reliable or not, but it sure has its own issues, with speed as well.
Long drawn out animations become a pain in the *** after a while. Sure it looks smooth, but is it really faster just because it seems less laggy?
Iunno, as I said: both my s3 and my 920 seem quite even on the "fluid/lag/crash" bit.

What do you mean by "reliable" btw?

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Dont know if WP is more reliable or not, but it sure has its own issues, with speed as well.
Long drawn out animations become a pain in the *** after a while. Sure it looks smooth, but is it really faster just because it seems less laggy?
Iunno, as I said: both my s3 and my 920 seem quite even on the "fluid/lag/crash" bit.

What do you mean by "reliable" btw?

I have L620, and it ran just fine, only the last reset is on 1 week back, and it's because of the storage check feature didn't work just after updating firmware to 1308.

Why it ran just fine? It has much fewer lags, even with single core and 256MB of RAM, as in WP7 devices; also, it runs so smooth, smoother than all high-end Android devices.

And reliable means it can be 'trusted' for doing some jobs, including games, with the least faults.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My 920 runs about as smooth as my s3, so I doubt the 620 runs somehow smoother than the 920?
My 920 has had more reboots than my s3 (which never had one), but that might be a 920 issue.

As for faults; ive had more apps crash on my 920 than on my s3, and switching between apps in android is far better than on the 920 with regards to both speed of startup and how the game pauses.

Reliability in other areas seem quite equal, such as apps, chat, text, phone, camera, etc.
Except some apps, like for instance Spotify and wpcentral, the latter of which has some weird hickups sometimes ("you don't have permission to post" when pressing reply then working when pressed again, refusing to load forum when moving from wifi to 3g, sometimes requireing a restart to work).

I don't see WP as more or less reliable than my s3 at all :/ .

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I like how people use crappy Android phones and complain about the OS. Use a good phone like a Nexus 4

You're comparing against an... Xperia T? No wonder. I could've eliminated almost your entire list of cons by replacing that fail phone with another android

Also great work judging Android on the basis of the crappy devices you used it on.

With WP - it doesn't matter if you buy the cheap ?99 Lumia phone or high-end ?560 Lumia phone - OS behaves the same. You don't need to pay too much to get rid of the lag or slow OS. I'm surprised how many chaps just put up with ?99 Android and its lag saga when they could be enjoying Nexus fluidity with ?99 Lumia! On WP you don't have to invest in an high end to be comparable. So, I totally see OPs point as a valid one even if he had used a low end crappy android as you guys put it, he shouldn't have to suffer the lag. With Lumia 710, I didn't, still don't.

do you care about reading "nexus" word or are you just trolling?

Not sure if the OP is trolling

At WPCentral we DO NOT call the Tword here even if we are 100% sure. If you have issues with any post or you suspect of being trolled, please report the post and mods will monitor the posts but we are WPCentral and we are much better than any other forum. Please refrain from using that word while you are on this forum.

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My 920 runs about as smooth as my s3, so I doubt the 620 runs somehow smoother than the 920?
My 920 has had more reboots than my s3 (which never had one), but that might be a 920 issue.

As for faults; ive had more apps crash on my 920 than on my s3, and switching between apps in android is far better than on the 920 with regards to both speed of startup and how the game pauses.

Reliability in other areas seem quite equal, such as apps, chat, text, phone, camera, etc.
Except some apps, like for instance Spotify and wpcentral, the latter of which has some weird hickups sometimes ("you don't have permission to post" when pressing reply then working when pressed again, refusing to load forum when moving from wifi to 3g, sometimes requireing a restart to work).

I don't see WP as more or less reliable than my s3 at all :/ .

If you watch the comparison between 620 and 920 from boot-up to launch some apps, you will know 620 generally faster than 920, but it doesn't mean any apps can run faster.

About crashes, it doesn't matter, because WP is still 2-3 years old, while Android is now 6 years old. Let's give it a chance to change, and GDR3 also :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Might be true that the 620 is faster than the 920, but its still not superfast. Transitions cover a lot of the time, I think.
Ill try some comparisons when my s4 comes :) .

What I take issue with in this thread is the implication that android lags, which ive never found it to do, compared to for instance maemo5, belle, s^3, wp7.5/7.8/8 and meego flagships.
Sure lowend androids probably lag and lowend wps lag less, but...

As for crashes; it matters when the argument is that android is less stable :p .
I agree WP8 is awesome, and it has tons of potential, and im happy to wait for things to iron out. But lets not decieve ourselves either..

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 with 4.2.2 still has scrolling lag and occasional lag. The Android OS just isn't as reliable as WP8 and iOS. I used to be an Android fan since Android 1.5 and have had 5 android phones.

All phones do in certain circumstances. No offense but I don't know what crud you were running on your n4 to cause your issues. I tried on purpose to MAKE mine stutter with a battery of scrolling and ui tests of various launchers on the homescreens and app/widget drawer. Stock, Nova, and Holo HD all passed with complete stutter free operation and seamless scrolling. Other less popular launchers were a different story.

sent from pure android on tapatalk. carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN] There are several violations of the rules in this thread, lets refrain from calling each other fanboys, trolls, ridiculing each other with their "lack of experience" etc. Let's have a civil discussion. If we cannot have a civil discussion then the thread will be closed and disciplinary actions will take place. [/WARN]

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
idk about people not experiencing lag on the gs3, I used one for about a month and went right back to my Lumia 810 as soon as I got annoyed with all the different keyboards I tried, it freakin lags in comparison to wp8, and apps lag, there's no way someone doesn't experience lag on S3's even fully updated, take a moment to think about how many times ur keyboard delayed or locked up on u, the keyboard never does that on wp8.... oh and this post is about how much you're gonna love the keyboard on wp8, I think its the best right next to or over iOS...

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I never had problems with swiftkey on my s3, it had no more lags or delays or lockups than my 920 does, really.
Im sorry you had a faulty device, but it really isn't anywhere near the level of horribleness that you seem to think.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I never had problems with swiftkey on my s3, it had no more lags or delays or lockups than my 920 does, really.
Im sorry you had a faulty device, but it really isn't anywhere near the level of horribleness that you seem to think.

it wasn't that bad, just really the little things my man, and when people cry over android I personally know it's because the experiences have been pretty bad... that is suprising tho, not a faulty device but i'm not seeing what you are seeing either way, so ur good. The differences are miniscule but those little things are a deal breaker, I like a solid experience over features thats y iOS and windows phones are my favorite windows phone seems to be the perfect blend of those tho. I've installed a gazillion custom roms on android devices (not s3) and decided to walk away when I noticed a similar experience from device to device and rom to rom. But like even scrolling continues to be smooth with you? I just have a hard time seeing that lol but don't answer that i'm being funny. now as far as the nexus, those have always been the best android experiences to me, the only one I haven't used is the nexus 4.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree, its not one thing in particular that makes me change OS, its lots of small things.
For instance WP has a lot of things I like over the s3, but the s3 has more things I think it does better than my 920.
I changed from s3 to 920 because I think WP has a lot of good qualities.

Those things that I think the s3 did better than my 920 may be irrelevant to other people, and they in turn may have things they value more than I do.
But lag on my s3 seriously wasn't any different from on my 920, meaning nothing big, really. Both devices were very smooth, bot in the menus, the mainscreen and in apps.
As said, WP has some animations that may smooth down loading times so they don't seem as intrusive, which is probably a good thing.
But ill do some tests when I get my s4. Anything in particular you'd want me to compare?

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree, its not one thing in particular that makes me change OS, its lots of small things.
For instance WP has a lot of things I like over the s3, but the s3 has more things I think it does better than my 920.
I changed from s3 to 920 because I think WP has a lot of good qualities.

Those things that I think the s3 did better than my 920 may be irrelevant to other people, and they in turn may have things they value more than I do.
But lag on my s3 seriously wasn't any different from on my 920, meaning nothing big, really. Both devices were very smooth, bot in the menus, the mainscreen and in apps.
As said, WP has some animations that may smooth down loading times so they don't seem as intrusive, which is probably a good thing.
But ill do some tests when I get my s4. Anything in particular you'd want me to compare?

man i can only imagine how the s4 would run on that quad core and the updated touchwiz. I always compare the keyboard and the browser just for a gauge. similar apps and network speed are something else u can do. what about the htc one?

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
man i can only imagine how the s4 would run on that quad core and the updated touchwiz. I always compare the keyboard and the browser just for a gauge. similar apps and network speed are something else u can do. what about the htc one?

am i the only one who thinks touchwiz is ugly?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Touchwiz doesn't have to look like anything. You can change it if you want to using things like jkay and themes, icon packs, etc. Or change the launcher entirely, its as easy as installing an app. It actually IS an app, like apex launcher.

As for the HTC One, i just don't like the phone. Larger bezel, ugly design in general, reminds me of the n95 era. The camera isnt that impressive, and the s4 has some very nice features that look promising, as well as the viewcover which I really like.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Touchwiz doesn't have to look like anything. You can change it if you want to using things like jkay and themes, icon packs, etc. Or change the launcher entirely, its as easy as installing an app. It actually IS an app, like apex launcher.

As for the HTC One, i just don't like the phone. Larger bezel, ugly design in general, reminds me of the n95 era. The camera isnt that impressive, and the s4 has some very nice features that look promising, as well as the viewcover which I really like.

not as only launcher, it's whole ui. i sometimes liked android interface but samsung made me hate it by ios rip-off touchwiz ui.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So simply install another rom, like cyanogenmod.
Personally I like how they have done things on the s4 with TW, but its hard to say without having used it for a good while.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So simply install another rom, like cyanogenmod.
Personally I like how they have done things on the s4 with TW, but its hard to say without having used it for a good while.

i dont like using custom roms. they kicks you out of warranty and they contain bugs. and you have to check if there's an update.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Then yes, for you TW might be a problem. The warranty is irrelevant where Im from as we have laws that protect consumers quite a bit, and I change handset within a year of getting the device and Ive done it several times before, so for me its no big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney