Hulu Plus grows bigger but gets worse. Netflix just gets worse.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hulu Plus is now up to 4 million subscribers. However, it's going to have one fewer member once I cancel next month. Hulu is having a major problem getting content out on time. Several shows appear *months* late. One show started on the season finale. And now certain shows are "web only" so they have to be accessed through a web browser (their own Hulu app won't even play them). Subscription is up but I think quality has definitely gone down. Though I imagine Hulu is having the same problem that Netflix is. Netflix is losing nearly 1,800 movies/tv shows because Warner Bros decided to pull their content. Warner Bros and several other networks are going back to the wall garden approach. The WB wants to charge $10 a month just to access their shows. All these networks must seriously think I'm going to sign-up for their individual streaming services at $10 a month. Not!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered Amazon Prime? I don't use it, so I don't know how good it is, but I know a lot of people like it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to be a trial member over a year ago and found their content to be lacking (though I imagine it's better now). Their web interface is also pretty bad IMO, but it does have a Xbox 360 app! I plan on dropping Hulu Plus anyway. Might have to replace that with Prime.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, I think Netflix, in particular, doesn't renew some of their media deals because they don't feel the viewership of those titles is worth the current cost. Titles come and go with them. I don't think the media companies will be able to hold off all their programming from non-traditional viewing options much longer without risk of losing many customers (already happening) to piracy or other avenues. People are just sick of paying $60-120/mo. for a package that they only use 5% of or less.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If networks keep pulling programs, I wonder if Netflix will just keep increasing their original content.

If Netflix can establish a reputation of actually giving shows a full run, so that the last season of a show is actually given a real series finale, then I can see more people investing in their shows.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of looking into the Redbox streaming. $8 for unlimited streaming and 4 rentals at the box.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The last I checked it looked identical to Netflix.

Edit to add looks like some of the tv shows have been removed from Redbox.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually like Hulu Plus, Shows from ABC are always on, Also some shows are web only. I get around this with my current setup. I have a 2011 iMac 21 inch, and I steam it to my apple TV which is hooked up to my big screen. Works great, any web only TV show can sync to my TV. Another way around this is to manually hook up your Computer to the TV via a HDMI cable..

Netflix, I really like it for Breaking Bad, also House of Cards is really good as well. Sometimes content is pretty sparse, but I like the on-Demand feature where I can watch what I want since I have TIVO, I don't have On-Demand. The only reason why I keep Cable is for Live Sports, and the Cable News (CNN)

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to say this same thing. Stream to my apple tv with my Mac is the only way that I know of to get around this.

The most simple and best way in my opinion is to just watch less tv.

Now that I have Hulu plus, Netflix, AirPlay and all,the other streaming stuff, I find I watch less and less tv.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Airplay with Apple TV is so ridiculously easy to use and useful. I am actually using it right now. I wish there was something like it for WP and Windows!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had Hulu Plus for almost two years and there has always been content you could only watch on the web.

And what show exactly was late coming to Hulu Plus? Was it a case of maybe providers weren't offering the show and it was something out of Hulu's hands?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Playto from my Windows 8 box to my WD TV HD. Works great.

Airplay really is on a whole different level. Can you mirror WP on your tv with a simple settings change? No. While watching a youtube video, can you press one button and have appear on your tv? No. Etc. Etc. Etc. Mirroring and sending video/audio from almost any app or program (iOS or OSX) is beyond simple.

I use to think that it wasn't anything special but once you use it, everything else doesn't compare.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I canceled the trial to Hulu+ because of commercials. I pay for something per month... don't give me advertising.
Then I look at cable, the Internet in its own entity, etc. >_>
Anyway, I'm a proud Netflix subscriber since November 2010. And like some others, also waiting on ArrestedDev.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99