NBA Playoffs thread

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Spurs, being from San Antonio, know how to handle "Heat", so yeah, go Pacers! Lets make the finals interesting!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So if LeBron wanted to sign with the Cavs after next season to play with Kylie you wouldn't be in favor of that?

I doubt LeBron would want to go anywhere if he wins a title this year and even next year. But if he does, he needs to know that we here in the 305 don't get worked up with hired guns. Shaq came and helped us win a title in'06 and when he left it was like "don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you". Pudge Rodriguez helped my Marlins win a title in '03 and left afterward as well. LeBron won't face the same backlash as he did in Cleveland because frankly, we have enough transplants here already.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I doubt LeBron would want to go anywhere if he wins a title this year and even next year. But if he does, he needs to know that we here in the 305 don't get worked up with hired guns. Shaq came and helped us win a title in'06 and when he left it was like "don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you". Pudge Rodriguez helped my Marlins win a title in '03 and left afterward as well. LeBron won't face the same backlash as he did in Cleveland because frankly, we have enough transplants here already.

I don't know what LeBron will do, but if anyone from around Cleveland wouldn't take him back I think they are crazy. I agree he handled leaving poorly, but that's all he did wrong. Pat Riley and the Heat are a first class organization that knows how to put a team together and I don't know if Dan Gilbert can do it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what LeBron will do, but if anyone from around Cleveland wouldn't take him back I think they are crazy. I agree he handled leaving poorly, but that's all he did wrong. Pat Riley and the Heat are a first class organization that knows how to put a team together and I don't know if Dan Gilbert can do it.

That makes sense, though.

However, I don't think the owners matter as much as the GMs. Pat Riley is called "team president", but he could be considered to be de facto GM. He certainly has more credentials than Chris Grant. Chris Grant never even played or coached in the NBA, much less won multiple titles playing and coaching.

I don't see whether it matters if the owner runs a cruise ship company or a bank. Neither would know more or less about basketball, but that doesn't matter as much as having a GM who knows basketball.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
So if LeBron wanted to sign with the Cavs after next season to play with Kylie you wouldn't be in favor of that?
It's not going to happen! The
Akron guy burnt a very high bridge, of course the Cavs owner didn't do himself any favors. It sounds good in sports talk, but Lebron doesn't care if the people in Cleveland like him or not, he'll quickly tell you that he's from Akron.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

However, I don't think the owners matter as much as the GMs. Pat Riley is called "team president", but he could be considered to be de facto GM. He certainly has more credentials than Chris Grant. Chris Grant never even played or coached in the NBA, much less won multiple titles playing and coaching.

I don't see whether it matters if the owner runs a cruise ship company or a bank. Neither would know more or less about basketball, but that doesn't matter as much as having a GM who knows basketball.

I agree that the gm is really more important. I think the Cavs are going in the right direction, especially if Kyrie can stay healthy. I know when LeBron was there Danny Ferry pretty much proved he couldn't build a team around LeBron.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not going to happen! The
Akron guy burnt a very high bridge, of course the Cavs owner didn't do himself any favors. It sounds good in sports talk, but Lebron doesn't care if the people in Cleveland like him or not, he'll quickly tell you that he's from Akron.

Agree that bridges were burnt both ways. However adding LeBron to that team would make them a playoff team right off the bat and maybe a title contender. Of course the only reason I could see him leaving Miami is because Dwayne Wade seems to be hurt every postseason and he isn't getting younger.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You make a poignant point regarding cruise ships. Most people don't even know Micky Arison (Carnival Cruise Lines) owns the Heat. He hires the right people to do the job and gets out of the way, like a smart CEO should. Dan Gilbert, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, etc. should look to the south and see how a first-rate organization is run. But look away from the Marlins, that's the epitome of an ownership cluster***k. Would Cleveland be interested in Jeffrey Loria and Mini Me (David Samson)? Y'all can have him for free with a one way ticket paid for by the citizens of Miami with no tax money.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it'll go 7. That'll shock the world.

The Heat played a bad game and the Pacers got everything they wanted and still lost. That's got to hurt team moral.

I don't expect any blowouts either tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea